Thread: PC Controlled Home

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

PC Controlled Home

How do you set this up? I want it so that the PC can manage energy efficiency, turn the lights on when someone comes home, turn them off when someone leaves a room, turn on the TV when asked (TV on, TV off) etc.. Radio, PC, answer phone calls and function as an answering machine..

I know that is a lot to ask my poor old PC to do, but i was wondering if there was some kit, instruction, site etc.. on how to set this up? Or at least the lights on and off when entering a room. I can settle for that.

You will need a lot of wiring or a lot of wireless sensors/controllers to accomplish all that A while back (not sure how far back) I saw a show about a 'totally' connected/wired home. Controllers in every room, master, slaves, computer controlled, voice operated everything and the bottom line was that it sucked. Voice recognition controls are still buggy as is voice recognition in general. The software is still not accurate enough.

I was wanting to try it wirelessly. Maybe bluetooth enabled light switches, etc..

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Are you a rich man boogs? Cause I think you need to be

Just looking into it. I have some funds but certainly not rich. Wished I was

Titanium Member
    A cheap way is Home director. They may still sell at Radio Shack. I rember seeing it under a different label, I think, at Fry's electronics. Look up Home director or try here: http://www.x-home.com/h/h12.html

Another is from x-10

I use the cordless remote stuff from here to control the lights, fans etc. I do not use the pc for it but I can.

Turn your popup program off or you may not be able to go there.

http://www.x10.com/automation/homeautomation.htm

Titanium Member
    oh yeah, x-10 and home director are the same. Parent company, or actually licensing company is x-10
    Last edited by lynchknot; June 24th, 2003 at 17:34 PM.

That is pretty much what I was looking for thanks. I'll have a look see at that home director product from X-10