Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More problems (scanner now)

Titanium Member

More problems (scanner now)

Aww man, is AMD machine going to turn out to be a POS for me? So far the only thing better was the 3D mark score. Well, I installed drivers and software for my Canoscan D1250u2F and I get these error messages:

scanner is plugged in - plugs are tight - does not make noise when I plug it into PC.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Is it a usb connection? Try unistalling the drivers then reinstall before you connect the scanner....just a thought

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    lynchknot,
    Bud I think you need to get with FG on the phone and let him walk you through the reinstallation of your system. I think you have some programs installed that are screwing it up. I don't think your PC is causing it. The problems you have sound totally like what I get whenever I do a repair or install over an installed OS.

Get with me on netmeeting or something and I can help you out with this. and by the way, Conan is also a very reliable source for reformat help.

Sometimes you reformat and it goes wrong. You may just have to do it again. I know that is a pain, but after 2 or 3 times, you'll be a semi-pro like Conan

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Is it a USB 2 port? Some motherboards require their drivers to be installed before the ports will work.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    did you reinstall the usb drivers...because I remember when you did that repair you got errors re: the usb drivers. go into device manager and del the usb stuff reboot and let windows reinstall them.
    also i noticed in my bios there is an option to enable usb 1 and 2 ....check for that.

I have a multifunction printer,copier, scanner which has displayed problems during install. It happens when I forget to unplug the usb cable. There is an on screen warning that tells me to do it, however when I'm in a hurry and click the next, next, next without reading it happens. My fix has been to uninstall the printer software, run a registry cleaner to clear a bad registry key and reinstall, this time following the instructions.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Titanium Member
    "found new hardware" was not working. I downloaded twain drivers and plugged the scanner in and now it works -

Titanium Member
    aarrgghh - same problem only the solution won't work this time. Add new hardware does not pop up and in device manager does not even list the scanner - it is plugged in. Anyone have any ideas? I have installed - uninstalled twain drivers - installed/uninstalled/installed usb drivers - nothing works - and don't say, "reformat", I will kill you. I just reformatted yesterday.

I just reformatted yesterday.
    Should be easy then..................nothing to back up or lose.

Just Joking!

Break out the canon manual and follow their instructions for installing the new hardware.

That doesnt work get yourself an updated driver for your hardware.

That doesn't work, add the hardware manually.

Titanium Member
    I've already done the first 2 - how do you install manually?

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Some scanners require that you have the usb unplugged, installing the drivers first,then you will be instructed to plug it in.I have usb scanner,camera,web cam,printer,sandisk card reader and all instructions require software drivers installed before plugging in the usb port.Also as Conan pointed out,if your motherboard has usb drivers,try installing those first.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Titanium Member
    yeah, i've tried everything........................

"Add new hardware" recognizes everything but the scanner. There is no reaction when I plug it in - no sound, etc...

METHOD ONE - Manually uninstall the Iomega Parallel Port Interface driver

Remove the Zip Iomega Parallel Port Interface driver.

Click Start, select Settings and click Control Panel.

Double-click the System icon.

Click the Device Manager tab and click the plus (+) symbol next to SCSI Controllers.

Note: If there are no SCSI controllers listed within the Device Manager, the driver has not been installed. Please proceed to METHOD TWO

Click the Iomega Parallel Port Interface driver to highlight and then click the Remove button.

Note: If there is no Iomega Parallel Port Interface driver listed under SCSI controllers, please proceed to METHOD TWO

Click the Close button and please continue.

Manually install the Iomega Parallel Port Interface driver from the IomegaWare install CD.

Insert the IomegaWare CD into your CD-ROM drive. If the installation begins automatically, cancel the installation process.

Click Start, select Settings and then click Control Panel.

Double-click Add New Hardware.

Click Next.

Click No when asked 'Do you want Windows to search for your new hardware?'

Click Next.

From the Hardware types list, click SCSI controllers.

Click Next.

Click the Have Disk button.

From the Install from disk prompt, click the Browse button.

From the Drives drop-down list, click the drive letter of your CD-ROM drive.

Within the Folders list, double-click the Drivers folder.

Click the 9x/XP folder.

Note: If you are using an earlier version of Iomega software, some of the folder names may be slightly different - such as w9xstuff.

Double-click the folder titled SCSI and Parallel.

Select the guest.inf file.

Click the OK button.

Click the OK button on the Install from Disk window.

Shut down your computer and attach your Zip parallel port drive.

Restart your computer for changes to take effect.

METHOD TWO - Manually install the Zip parallel port driver without an install CD

Ensure all hidden files and folders are displayed.

Double-click the My Computer icon.

Click the View button.

Click Folder Options or Options.

Select the View tab.

Make sure the Show all files option is checked.

Make sure the Hide file extensions for known file types option is not checked.

Locate and install the Iomega Parallel Port Interface driver.

Click Start, select Settings and then click Control Panel.

Double-click Add New Hardware and click Next.

Click No and click Next.

Double-click SCSI Controllers.

Locate and click Iomega on the left-hand side.

Locate and click the Iomega Parallel Port Interface driver.

Click Next and then click Finish.

You will be prompted to restart your system at this point.

Just substitute IOMEGA PARALLEL PORT DRIVER WITH CANON SCANNER. Some of the folders and such will be different so use your scanner manual to find the location of the scanner driver.

Also, have you tried another USB port? Do you have a USB to serial or parallel adapter? Have you tried booting the machine with the scanner turned on and plugged in? Have you tried booting with it just plugged in? Have you tried booting with it not plugged in and then plug it in once you have it booted?

Have you tried using the compatibility mode ?

Have you checked the cables? Are you sure you are installing the most up-to-date driver and twain driver for your hardware?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    have you tried del the twain and twunk32 files then install the software with the scanner not plugged in the reboot with the scanner plugged in