Thread: Improve network data transfer performance

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Exclamation Improve network data transfer performance

Most of the time when we are transferring large files over a LAN the network will never reach maximum theoretical throughput speed. Luckily for us, adding two DWORD value strings can sometimes greatly improve network data transfer performance!

First load up regedit (Start -> Run -> regedit -> Ok) then follow this path. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Services -> Lanmanworkstation -> parameters. Now create (or modify) the MaxCmds and MaxThreads DWORD value strings. You can give it any value between 0 and 255, it's up to you to experiment to see what works best for your network. For my home network I find that giving it a value of 155 on all computers boost network throughput a bit.

If you RUIN your network settings simply delete the two DWORD strings and start over. =)

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    What is the increase in productivity? Ie does it take network utilization from 70% to 90% ??

Great tip nonetheless.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    you will only notice improvement in internal networks or LAN. Internet has only a fraction of your NIC capabilities.
    Also have in consideration that this setting has to be set in both PCs. What you are doing is allowing the NIC to do more. They are usually downgraded for the sake of stability and interporability (just like CPU)

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    I'll give this a go and post my results soon