Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I bought a new car.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

I bought a new car.

It is a Silvia S14 turbo with intercooler. I got it for about $2000. It is a 2001 model with 50K. Has a few knicks here and there, but overall it is a dependable looking ride. Jet black with allow rims, tiny rear spoiler, and a factory stereo system.

I'll be finalizing the deal at the end of this week. It was a new car or a new PC, and I decided on the car for now Wife went with me and worked out the details. We are paying cash so this month I am finished with my major purchasing.. there's always next month.

Have a look at the image I've attached.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Not sure what a Sylvia is but for $2000 for a 2001 anything with 50k is a steal.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Are you sure about the year model? 2001 should be S-15. Also the headlights on that car are pre-97 year model. They should be projector lamps for the dim bulbs. Welcome to the world of Turbo's if you are pushing through with the deal.

the image I posted was one I nabbed from the net. I'll get a better one of the actual car later.

the lights kind of look like this one,
    http://us1.webpublications.com.au/st...1/1175_2mg.jpg

but the year could be wrong as Japanese use their own year counter..
    for example, I was born in Showa 53, and now it is Hesei 15..
    so, it could be older. but I am sure the light style you posted is the one that is on the car conan. The car looks beautiful. And the price was rock bottom, all thanks the crappy economy of Japan hehehehe
    Last edited by Big Booger; June 28th, 2003 at 10:17 AM.

Originally posted by Big Booger
    the image I posted was one I nabbed from the net. I'll get a better one of the actual car later.

the lights kind of look like this one,
    http://us1.webpublications.com.au/st...1/1175_2mg.jpg
    It's an S-15 then. Automatic or manual? 250 HP bone stock! You'll be pretty happy with the performance.

I believe it is a manual. The damn dealer guy wouldn't let me drive it.. I was pissed.

And in japan when you want to buy a car, it takes forever. You have to go get stamps for everything. They have to know you own a parking space.. you have to have insurance, a car inspection, tax, and a thing called a shakken, shakken is where they repair the vehicle and charge you out the buttocks..

The car was for sale at 100000 Yen, by the time I had finished it was 280000 yen.. I guess they add that extra crap here and there to do it.

I am pretty sure it is an S14, but it could be S15. I'll get my wife to get the exact details. All of this is done in Japanese, so I don't know shit, and my wife translates it.. and well, some meaning gets lost in the middle

I am just the payee. I will most likely be upgrading a few components later on. It was just too good of a deal to pass on.

It became the S15 in 1999. Have a look here, everything you need to know about Silvia's:

http://www.emergent.com.au/200sx/

I think I have narrowed it down. But the lights are farking with me cause I am sure they are the type you posted..

I think it is the S14a as it doesn't look like the regular S14 light COuld be S14 with S15 kit installed or something. I know it is turbo charged and has an intercooler. I made the dealer pop the hood and I checked that out.

Has 16 or 17 alloy rims that I know because I looked at it myself.

BUt the car didn't have the S14/15 monograms..
    It just had the S that looked like a snake emblem on the grill and trunk deck

Well, the S15 manual has a 6 speed transmission, the S14 is 5 speed. Just be careful driving it in the rain and then punching the turbo. Rear Wheel Drive Turbo + Rain = WHEELSPIN!

I definitely consult you Conan when I go to upgrade some of the stock parts.

Thanks for the website, that helped out heaps.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar

Talking Nice CAR

Congrats BB on the purchase of a new car - especially in Japan. Where are you going to park it?? LOL, you got one of those new Vertical Garages ??

Conan is right about the S15 from 99 onwards and S14 from around 93 - 99.

About the lights, it is a common upgrade for the S14 to put S15 lights. Big give away will the be the 6-speed manual ie S15.

These cars came standard with an Intercooler, but how big is the question. If it is huge in the front bumper, like in the Trust car pic conan showed, then its an upgraded or 'AfterMarket' version.

Being in Japan you have access to EVERY aftermarket company and their parts!! From turbos and intercoolers, to complete 1000 HP motors. Look for names like TRUST, APEXi, HKS, Top Secret... the list just goes on and on and...

A common 'sport' in Japan is drifting, sliding around corners, and the S15 is king for that, due to huge power and small size. I hope price wasnt rock bottom cos its an ex-racer.

If you were more of a petrol head, Im sure Conan and I could set out some basic upgrades to get you smoking those wheels in all gears LOL :biggrin:

If you treat it good, you could import it back to USA if you ever returned. It could be good enough for Fast&Furious 3 LOL

Post a pick of your car ASAP, would be great to see.

ps. the snake emblem is the Silvia/Skyline Trademark.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I'll post the images as soon as I can. Cannot guarantee the quality :P

I'll definitely be asking about upgrading. I was already checking out some easily bolt on items, K&N filtration, larger intercooler, I am almost certain it was stock which is tiny

Will let you know on my progress. I have a parking spot, got to pay 50 bucks a month for it, which here is cheap, but I have to get proof for everything, proof that my ikan is real, (ikan is a rubber stamp that functions as your signature in Japan), got to get proof I have a parking spot from the police, proof that I have insurance, and proof of a drivers license.

I will be going tomorrow and trying to get as much of that done as I possibly can

You're right with the bigger Intercooler and K&N air filter, however, once you install an aftermarket air filter, you have to install a "Heat Shield" to stop the hot air coming from the radiator fan from entering the intake which would result in loss of power and melted rubber filter parts (it happenned to me!). Also a 3 inch exhaust system all the way from the Turbo Down Pipe all the way to the end muffler will give you quite a power gain. I think we've covered the "Stage 1" basics!

By the way here's a S15 Japanese Touring Car racer:

I saw that heat shield. There were actually two types. One was a flat piece of aluminium that shields the filter from the radiator. The other was a box type.

As for the muffler, they look decent here. I am wondering if I should go single or dual pipes?

I'll be trying most of this on my own. Just to get the experience. If I screw it up, I can always take the car to the tuner down the street

Originally posted by Big Booger
    I saw that heat shield. There were actually two types. One was a flat piece of aluminium that shields the filter from the radiator. The other was a box type.

As for the muffler, they look decent here. I am wondering if I should go single or dual pipes?

I'll be trying most of this on my own. Just to get the experience. If I screw it up, I can always take the car to the tuner down the street
    It's really your preference as long as the 3 inch diameter is maintained all through out the exhaust system. Have a look here at Tanabe, it's the brand i'm using (G Power Medallion).

http://www.rd-tanabe.com/english/exhaust/ex_sys.html