Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: product key invalid

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    of course, zipp hit the rhino in the nads.

You have to activate your XP copy, then do the disk image, and as long as you install it on the same machine, you should be golden.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Originally posted by cash_site
    Does this work? It would solve a lot of problems Im lucky I have a corporate version

ps. How big would the image be for a fresh install of XP with SP1 plus updates ??
    I have an image of XP Pro with Sp1 without any programs nor updates = 707 mb.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    if your using ghost, enable compression

i turned off system restore in xp to reduce its size and got it down to fit on a single 650mb disc

this image has all my drivers and driver applications for sound video capture etc...

only problem is. i don't use that computer anymore

can we create a generic image with no drivers?

can we uninstall all the drivers and create an image after shutdown?

10 minute image install is better than the 40min + install
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Titanium Member
    I don't mind installing windows - it's the reinstallation of all the programs and settings that get me.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I agree Lynch, windows especially XP is simple and easy to install, I hate doing all the updates, why cant they bring out SP2 sooner

Excellent, so XP SP1 should fit on 1 cd that does make it simplier ... I wonder how many cd's for OfficeXP SP2 as well

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Titanium Member
    Could I just run all my programs and games in D and just keep my OS in C? I had one game in D when I reformatted and it's still there working.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    I don't see why you can't do that Lynch.I've got my 80Gig split up where the opsys is on C and everything else is on the other partitions.Then when you reinstall windows it will ask about those other partitions and you just reformat C and install xp on that.As long as you keep the filing systems the same you can access the other parts.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    well, yes, you can install all your apps in D, but the image has to have the entries in the registry, if not, it doesn't care that you have programs in another drive. I guess you could always do backups of part of the registry.
    Humm, it is possible to run a registry back up, and then install a program and have a backup only with the changes?? then you could have a registry back up by program, and just run that. Just remember that some progrmas even if you install them in D or E will have to install some files in C, or the OS drive. An example is Office, but other programs put files in the Windows directory, or a shared directory (Ex. Symantec app)

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Originally posted by lynchknot
    Could I just run all my programs and games in D and just keep my OS in C? I had one game in D when I reformatted and it's still there working.
    No you can't. Even if you try to point all installations to Drive D it will still install some stuff on C. At this point if you fromat C, then all the programs on D will not work. Look you can always make an image with all of your programs installed. I keep 2 images myself, a fresh install of XP and then another with everything (all my programs) included. If you screw up there are always 2 images to choose from.

Yes I changed PC but kept my HD. The first couple times was no problem. It's just that I reformatted 4 times in the last couple weeks!
    That's it lynchknot You've changed PC which is the reason on why you received "invalid key". It was published in MS page " the Microsoft activation clearinghouse system will automatically allow activation to occur over the Internet four times in one year on substantially different hardware." - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../xpactiv.asp#d

I do not have to worry then since I'm not changing PC
    "Reinstallation of Windows XP on the same or similar hardware and a subsequent, reactivation can be accomplished an infinite number of times"

Originally posted by lynchknot
    I don't mind installing windows - it's the reinstallation of all the programs and settings that get me.
    BB's idea is very useful (Thanks BB) to avoid activation error or invalid key. I agree with you lynchknot ... it is easy to reinstall Windows but we are trying to avoid the activation problem that you just had. BB's suggestion should help users who changed hardware or plans to change hardware

Regards,
    Donna

Yeah WPA was to prevent the widespread of piracy by limiting the number of times you can activate, but why wouldnt the WPA be updated after the first time you activated on the new computer, so the next time would be as if it was the normal computer ??

Also, you can install apps and games on other HDs, just be careful if they require some registry keys or install files on C. I know it works, cos I received a copy of some software straight from their computer

A nice DVD burner would solve our problems, just create image of everything installed Maybe TZ can buy one, then pass it around for everyone to make a backup ?? LOL

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Titanium Member
    I have a DVD burner, i'm trying to arrange my desk and stabilize my pc so that I can do that.

Server God Administrator Richard's Avatar
    MY XP key got "locked" out due to being used to many times and for a while I had to use telephone activation.

However they may have changed this, or have a timeout in place as the last time I was able to activate online without a phone call

perhaps they monitor to see if the key has been "mass" used for a while and if not, allow it to be used again without phone authorisation

Just a thought

I think, the list of hardware gets updated every 120 days or so, so you can activate it online. Not sure though.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I think activation is the most stupid idea MS have ever come up with since windows ME.

Can you imagine how much it costs them to run those activation servers, man the phones for customers who need to activate over the telephone, and offer technical support for screwed up activation issues???

Not to mention how many customers they lost because customers don't want to be tied to MS once they buy the software. Who wants MS to watch over them all the time. MS can decide what hardware you can run on your copy of Windows.

I mean think about it, if you buy a copy, they are saying you can only install it on 1 maybe 2 PCs. So what happens if you sell your PC, and buy a new one. Do you have to buy a new OS?

I hate activation. I know older people who haven't a clue about how to do the phone activation, so they just give up.

It's sneaky what MS is doing.. that is why I have started using Linux, Red Hat and Mandrake. I can install it on as many PCs as I like, and say the hell with MS if they become to invasive..

I recommend you all to give linux a shot as soon as Red Hat 10 and Mandrake 10 are released (might be some time)!