Thread: USB Connection-- gone

USB Connection-- gone----Update!

This is probably software related but......

Windows XP Pro and Asus A7N8X D.

I was having a problem with my front usb port and while trying to get it to work properly I inadvertantly removed it permanently from the lineup. Actually I removed it thinking windows would find it again and reinstall it. NOT!

I've been into the device Manager and removed some of the things under Universal Serial Bus Controllers and Windows re-installed them but I cannot get it to find the front port.

Any help at this time would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by Thor; August 29th, 2003 at 22:40 PM.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Does your motherboard come with a CD with the USB drivers?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Conan's advice sounds sound. I would try the MOBO drivers first, check the cables, could be that it was going bad, and when you uninstalled that finalized the package, but I doubt it.

Could look for driver updates, BIOS patches etc.. that might deal with this issue, though it is a shot in the dark.

Do the rear USB work fine?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Might be something wrong with the USB header or connector. When that board first came out some people were having problems with the AUX USB

If you can't get it working then it looks like a good reason to send back to ASUS & get a nice new REV 2.0 board as replacement

Hope you get it working.

Try reinstalling the ASUS usb 2.0 drivers, strange that windows didnt find the hardware again??
    If not then try disabling/re-enabling them in CMOS to see if windows can find them them again, anyway you've got 6 ports to choose from so hopefully its only the 1 thats not working

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/misc/usb20/usb20_wxp.zip
    R.I.P
    MSN Status: | Please Read The Forum Rules

The rear USB ports work fine, it's just the single front one that's on my Antec SX1040BII.

I'm going to go in and disconnect the board hookup, boot, reconnect, etc., but I think that's not the prob, I think it's Windows. I might try the bios thing but, again, think that won't fix it.

Already tried the mobo setup with no luck.

Update

Here's an update to the front usp ports problem should anyone need to know. The solution came about with help from FastGame.

Seems Antec cases and some others were only working with usb1.1 and nothing anyone could do would get them working with 2.0. As soon as 2.0 drivers were installed, the front usb ports were dead.

The fix for my Antec SX1040BII was to call Antec and, without any fuss whatsoever, they are sending me a new front ports unit priority mail.

Yeah, baby!

Thanks FG

Nice bit of info to remember! Thanks Thor and FastGame.