Thread: Background Desktop Images Suck Resources

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Background Desktop Images Suck Resources

Pretty looking backgrounds can really liven up a computer screen... but it is possible to have a bit too much fun with wall papers. Even if you select a JPG as a background, Windows converts the file into a BMP file which obviously can take up a lot of system resources. Luckily if you take advantage of Window's Active Desktop capabilities you can shrink that file back down to size.
    First, right click anywhere on the desktop (not on an icon) and go to properties. From there click the Desktop tab then Customize Desktop. Go to the Web tab and click on the New button. Locate the picture you want as your desktop (animated gif's work as well!) and then click the Ok button once you're finished. Make sure the Lock Desktop Items box is unchecked then press Ok twice. The image that you have selected is now in a window, drag it so it's centered or covering the entire screen then right click and go to Arrange icons by and select Lock Web Items on Desktop.

That's it, now you have a background that does not eat up much system resources. =)
    I am testing it now. My wallpaper usually took a long time to load since it gets stored in the page file. Hopefully this will make my minimizing all windows faster

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    This is interesting... It would work great with the HTML Desktop too, right?? Why does the JPG get converted to BMP ?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Nice tip.
    But one thing,
    If the image resolution is not the same as your native desktop, it looks jaggy, whereas if you use the traditional method, somehow XP resizes it to match your desktop resolution without compromising the image integrity.

Any tips on getting smaller images to look better using the active desktop?

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    HUmm, you might trying editing the pic first.
    My Wallpapers are usually big, so I have no problem fitting them.
    I did actually noticed an improvement with this tip.
    I was getting annoyed by the time Windows will take to re-dranw the wallpaper