Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1394 unable to start

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar

1394 unable to start

I have the Asus A7N8X Deluxe mobo.It has 1394 firewire add on header supplied by manufacturer.From the day I set this system up my device manager had all working hardware.For some reason which I haven't worked out and can't seem to figure out, a yellow asterik appears next to my 1394 entree.Says that this device cannot start.I have uninstalled and let windows reinstall the drivers.Have installed the latest 4 in 1 N Vidia drivers in case an update was in there.Still have the asterik.I shouldn't worry too much because I don't have any firewire hardware to use,but still it puzzles me that it becomes unable to start.Anyone have a hunch.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

First of all check your cmos settings to ensure that you have this device enabled.
    And zipp51 as you have a NForce board you require the NForce driver installation, its not called 4 in 1...thats for VIA chipsets. Either go to ASUS and get version 2.xx or even try Nvidia for a more up to date chipset drivers
    R.I.P
    MSN Status: | Please Read The Forum Rules

Originally posted by zErO
    First of all check your cmos settings to ensure that you have this device enabled.
    And zipp51 as you have a NForce board you require the NForce driver installation, its not called 4 in 1...thats for VIA chipsets. Either go to ASUS and get version 2.xx or even try Nvidia for a more up to date chipset drivers
    Actually Zero they are called all in one sorry for the confusion.Got the latest and installed but still nada.I'll check the setting in bios thanks.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    You can try this ASUS firewire patch , if that doesn't work then maybe this Guide will help.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    FG,
    Do you own stock in Asus?

Originally posted by Big Booger
    FG,
    Do you own stock in Asus?

No, phishhead & Stripe bought me out

ABIT for now

Originally posted by FastGame
    You can try this ASUS firewire patch , if that doesn't work then maybe this Guide will help.

The firewire patch would not start.Is this patch for Linux?Probably will flash to 1004 latest bios flash.Why would it work for a while then quit?(the firewire)

No the patch is suppose to be for Win XP, are you running Linux ?

Originally posted by FastGame
    No the patch is suppose to be for Win XP, are you running Linux ?

Running XP exe file might be corrupted.Also flashed my bios to 1004 version and still get code 10.

Edit; Problem solved.Flash bios to latest version,shut down,unplug power supply,remove battery,clear cmos,reinstall battery,reset parameters,plug in fire up and she works again. I forgot that after a bios flash always do this.Thanks for everyones input.
    Last edited by zipp51; July 6th, 2003 at 19:35 PM.

Talking Battery

I had the same error, the battery removal and replace also fixed my problem thx.

Does this have to be done every time the/any bios get flashed?

Originally posted by Thor
    Does this have to be done every time the/any bios get flashed?
    It has been my experience that at least the power cord and jumper has to be removed and then replaced in order to clear the cmos setup.But I have been removing the battery for extra measure because it was stressed in a recent article on bios flashing.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Yep, it is highly recommend to clear the CMOS after flashing to completely remove traces of the old BIOS.

As per Zipp, its a good idea to remove cord and clear battery jumper.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Thank you. I had not known that. I've flashed the bios many times and never had a problem but I will do this in the future.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    hey guys having the same issues as zip had...getting error unable to start...so far this is what I've did:

removed in device manager and tried to reinstall manually

clear cmos reboot no go

shutdown and disabled it the bios and unplugged from mobo then restarted and shut down again enabled and restarted

tried the toggle app get error could not start.

I'm at a lost and yes I need it gonna have some upset soccer parents if I cant burn these videos.

tried the xp drivers and the nvidia still get error that it can not start. shows in device manage but with the yellow exclaimnation point.

I have the 1004 uber bios so thats up to date. can remember when I last used it but havent really tweaked anything for a while. do you guys know of a service that needs to be running for firewire, because I checked the services and none seem to be related.