Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not enough memory for scanner?

Titanium Member

Not enough memory for scanner?

I got a "30 day loaner" from best buy - hehe

But I get this message:

Trying to run the software for it. What does it mean? I don't have enough memory to run a scannner? That's ridiculous.....this computer....sheeeeeeeshhhh.

Gee, I only have 48GB of free space left on drive C - maybe the scanner needs more huh?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Try to reboot your computer if that'll help.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    and close all un-needed TSR's

Titanium Member
    What's a tsr? I've got 280mb of free ram and the scanner software shut's itself off! Here's another scanner I can't use and this one's not even broke! Is this AMD crap or is it something else? I can't believe all the bugs this PC has. The old PC was able to run 10 apps and still run a scanner. What is going on here?

Titanium Member
    Ok i just rebooted and started the scanner software and it stayed open for a few seconds then shut itself off. I am starting to hate this computer even though it gets better 3D mark scores, it performs like crap. Apps open slower, lot's of "unresponsive" messages - the P4 is much faster than this in a users respect. I notice it's sluggishness even right after a clean install - and i've already done 2 of them.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Might be because of a buggy motherboard.

Titanium Member
    Because of all the time I spent on this, redoing over and over, I feel like throwing it off the balcony and smashing it to pieces. I literally spent 19hrs without a break day after day trying to put it back to normal - only to have it mess up and start all over again.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    sounds like the bulk of your issues are USB related? Have you tried updating the motherboard BIOS? I don't suggest you to do it, because if you do it and mess it up, you're off to buy a new MOBO.

What brand motherboard is it? What model?

That AMD PC should smoke that sony you have. I say this lynch, take your PC down to your local comp shop. Have them have a look at it. Let them do a burn in for you. Let them reinstall the OS, and install all of your hardware. They'll charge a nominal fee for this, but then you can have the satisfaction of knowing it works, without the trouble.

That or you could sell the motherboard that is in it and get a new one.

Just thought, Best Buy does PC work. take the PC (only the tower) no need for the monitor, and scanner, and let them install it. I am sure they can work it out for you. Especially if you are buying a new scanner from them. I think you can get free service too because its not your fault Tell them you think something is wrong with the scanner.

Wait, Hold the mayo,
    Seems several users are experiencing this very problem. Is this the 5900 model?

Users having Memory Errors with Scanner

From that seems, you need to update the scanmaker software that is released on the Microtek website.
    That may solve this quandry. And stop blaming that PC USER ERROR USER ERROR NA NA NA NA

Nanny nanny boo boo

LMAO
    Last edited by Big Booger; July 8th, 2003 at 11:02 AM.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    You now know why that person sold it

Have you ever tested the memory ? or the CPU ?

Prime95 run the torture test for 24hrs and if it won't do it then you have CPU/Ram problems.

Memtest86 ISO unzip & burn to CD, set CD-rom as first boot device in bios and let memtest run a few passes without errors.

If your Overclocking then I'd suggest putting things back to default...ask Phishhead about the sluggish feeling, he tried too run his hardware over the default of 266fsb and @333fsb things were slower ! why ? because his system (Ram) was unstable & making error's !

I think Conan may have hit the nail on the head, that (Bio-Star) MB.........

Oh and BB is right...when things are right that AMD should smoke that Sony
    Last edited by FastGame; July 8th, 2003 at 11:40 AM.

Titanium Member
    Well, it already smokes the Sony in 3D mark scores.

Yes, it is a Scanmaker 5900 - i'm at the site now getting drivers.

I thought temperature dictated overclocking ability. Right now it's OC-ed to 1878 and the temp is 43c. running for a half hr.

BB, the board is a Biostar M7VIG Pro Via KM266.

I'll try those tests..

Thanks fellas -

Titanium Member
    This new scanner driver is just as bad. The splash screen comes up and then it's ready - then it just pops off - unable to scan.

Lynch,
    If you have a chance, take the tower and the scanner back to Best Buy. They will check it for you for free. Just tell them you are considering the purchase but it won't work

I thought the updated drivers would work.
    Did you uninstall the current drivers and remove any and all instances of the scanmaker software?

Did you try to add the hardware manually? I don't think you'll have success but it is worth it.

Have you installed any XP updates that deal with USB? If so, try uninstalling them.

Just trying to think of everything I possibly can.

My microtek 4900 does that using the new drivers so I use the version 5.781 ScanWizard and works. Have you tried the microtek drivers that come with XP ?

And no it's not the temp's that control OC'n, it's whether or not your system can do so without error's......then temp comes into play.

take the CPU back to stock clock speeds. It may seem stable, but overclocking can lead to problems.. :P

I doubt you are going to notice any performance increase of less than 100mhz anyway.. though I could be mistaken.

Originally posted by Big Booger
    take the CPU back to stock clock speeds. It may seem stable, but overclocking can lead to problems.. :P

I doubt you are going to notice any performance increase of less than 100mhz anyway.. though I could be mistaken.
    No your not mistaken & besides stability is of the most importance !

If I OC the CPU to much thing's seem ok but then I start getting corruption and can't install anything without problems. One way to get an OC'd CPU stable is too raise the Vcore volts & LK can't raise the volts in his MB so why OC ???
    Last edited by FastGame; July 8th, 2003 at 15:42 PM.