Thread: Why does it take so long sometimes for XP to install MS updates?

Why does it take so long sometimes for XP to install MS updates?

Here's the scoop. I get automatic update notification from MS. I tell MS to go ahead and download and intall the updates. Say there are two updates for my computer, one for Windows and 1 for XP. They were MS # 823559 (32.3 kb) and 817606 (21.2 kb) They're pretty new; I learned of them just yesterday.

Well they downloaded quite rapidly. But they took forever, it seemed, to install and I was told to reboot after the install. However I did not reboot immediately (I just clicked 'cancel') and then when I did reboot, installation took place.

I cannot be completely sure that all this is EXACTLY what happened but I'll welcome any ideas...answers.

Could it be that when I clicked 'cancel' not much of the installl had occurred...but DID occur during a reboot (for that was when I recall it taking so long?

So help me understand why the install took so long? The download is an online process, but COULD it be the install is also...but I had always believed install was a computer process. But I was wondering if the install was an online process also and that perhaps their servers were busy.

This experience has happened to me several times. I've XP and a 1.7 ghz CPU

wumply
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Well wumply I would and always do reboot when prompted to. If you wait and allow it to make the updates on the next normal reboot a couple of things happen. 1] You do not get to take advantage of the updates right away and 2] should you run other programs have a problem you will not know which one was causing the problems.

On the kind of updates you are talking about the download is to a temp file on your computer, then it installs the update from the temp file. Now you reboot and Windows will complete the install during boot. At this time the changes are made to Win XP. After this your boot ups should be normal....

so the update is partly installed from the update in the temp. file...and then if you are told to reboot and do, the install is completed?

If I am correct in that the 2nd part of the install is where changes get made to lthe regisltry, what exactly happens in the first part of lhe install (before one reboots.)?

wumply
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Check out this information at Tech TV it should help you out...