Thread: Got My New Hardware Installed But...

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar

Got My New Hardware Installed But...

Got everything installed today then my PC refused to boot. Absolutely nothing like there's no power. After hours of tinkering I finally found it was my Ti 4400 that was acting up. I stuck in my crappy old TNT 2 and it immediately booted up!

It's probably a "fitment" issue. With my last Intel motherboard if I tightened the pci screw of the video card too much the board also would not boot. I just had to loosen it up a bit for it to work. But with this board it absolutely refuses to show any sign of life with the Leadtek card in there. I"m so tired, gonna give the card another go when I wake up in the morning.

The TwinMOS DDR 400 that I got also doesn't allow my motherboard to apply the "PAT" settings to the memory. I guess I shouldn't have scrimped and went for the Corsair DDR. Not enough funds at the moment though.

I've just finished reformatting and just began installing the software. It's 5 a.m. here, been working on the PC since 6 in the evening!

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Barb,just wondering if your PSU is powerful enough to fire up the Leadtek,the new cpu,and the RAM?

The TNT 2 uses less power.
    Last edited by Reverend; July 18th, 2003 at 20:46 PM.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Right now I'm using the old 300 watt PSU. The new 350 watt that I bought doesn't have enough molex connectors for all my drives and fans. Tomorrow morning I will try the other PSU if it makes a difference.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    With all the hardware you've got,i'd recommend a 400+ PSU.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I agree with the PSU upgrade. I have a 475watt, and When I get my next upgrade, the PSU is one of the items on the list as I have 4 HDDs right now, geforce4, Soundblaster platinum, 2 NICs, Promise Ultra, TV capture card, the ROM drives, and a floppy. Not to mention all the USB devices connected to my PC.

Ok, I'm going to spring for a 400+ PSU in a while. I'm kinda broke but I'll blame it on you guys if it doesn't work!

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Before you chunk down the cheese.
    Take the machine into wherever you buy the PSU, and let them try it with the PSU. Tell them if you need it, and it works, you'll buy it.

An easy way to test it, without much risk. I do this in Japan all the time after I got burnt on a video card deal.. I now take my machine to the store, let them install the hardware, and make sure it works, then I buy it. hehehe

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar

Re: Got My New Hardware Installed But...

Originally posted by Conan
    TwinMos DDR 400 that I got also doesn't allow my motherboard to apply the "PAT" settings to the memory. I guess I shouldn't have scrimped and went for the Corsair DDR. Not enough funds at the moment though.
    Trust me you bought the right ram TwinMos DDR rocks ! Why can you do PAT on Corsair & not TwinMos ? will a bios change take care of that ?

I also agree on the PS...your in the big leauges now and that takes power, lot's of stable power so don't fool around and go get a Antec 550watt TrueControl PS where you can adjust your voltages right on the money

Looks like you got a dam nice rig Conan

[edit]= Check this out Crucial PC 3200 kicks Corsair's butt in an INTEL board, I have two brand new 512mb sticks of Crucial PC 3200 and if they'll let you use PAT we can swap if you want
    Last edited by FastGame; July 19th, 2003 at 04:33 AM.

Well guess what, my Leadtek Ti 4400 just has a quirk and refuses to run in my new motherboard! I brought it to the computer shop and they couldn't figure out why it would run on their test rigs but would prevent my sytem from booting up!

Anyway I picked a new card, it's a Geforce FX 5600. I was looking for an ATI 9500 Pro but no one has ATI cards on stock here! It's a mild upgrade from the Leadtek card and it's DX 9 compatible. I just couldn't stand another minute on my old TNT 2! Even web pages were loading slower with that prehistoric card!

Fastgame, I read on MSI support that TwinMOS DDR is on their approved list. Maybe I'm just a newbie at this (been used to Intel boards) and need to tweak my BIOS settings some more to allow PAT (MSI calls it MAT).
    Last edited by Conan; July 19th, 2003 at 14:30 PM.

After installing the new video card I am able to go up one step in the "PAT" settings. There are 4 settings for the mory acceleration:
    Slow, Fast, Turbo and Ultra Turbo. My system is now stable with the Fast setting.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Just want to know if the upgrade was worth it ? do you notice a great improvement ?

Entice me

Originally posted by FastGame
    Just want to know if the upgrade was worth it ? do you notice a great improvement ?

Entice me
    Hell yeah! Everything's running faster! Gonna post bench marks in another thread. The video card is just a mid-level card though, but at least it is DX 9 ready.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Does the board support AGP 8X and is the card 4X or 8X?

Originally posted by SupaStar
    Does the board support AGP 8X and is the card 4X or 8X?
    Yes it's AGP 8X, the new card is 8X my old card a 4X.