Thread: AGP 4x vs. 8x

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar

AGP 4x vs. 8x

Okay, what's really the difference between 8x and 4x AGP?

For example, My 3d scores top out at ~8500 but my motherboard only supports 4x AGP.

Eric (who has a comparable PC) can get his up to ~12000 but his runs in AGP 8x mode.

Is it just better handling of video that makes the difference?

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    well, AGP 8x in comparason to AGP 4x has almost double the bandwith available. Wouldn't that give you a reason??
    It depdens of the video card too. GeForce 4 Ti can fill the 4x bandwith easily
    And with FX you have more to that

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar

Re: AGP 4x vs. 8x

Originally posted by Stripe
    Okay, what's really the difference between 8x and 4x AGP?

For example, My 3d scores top out at ~8500 but my motherboard only supports 4x AGP.

Eric (who has a comparable PC) can get his up to ~12000 but his runs in AGP 8x mode.

Is it just better handling of video that makes the difference?
    As far as I know 8x AGP is still in Hype mode & on it's way out, can you say PCI Express......
    List your hardware & Eric's hardware and I'll tell you why your not close to Eric's 12000. It isn't because of 4x vs 8x

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    hey my board supports 8x but the card is only 4x. and it was almost 11000 not 12. and my dad can beat up your dad.

Originally posted by phishhead
    hey my board supports 8x but the card is only 4x. and it was almost 11000 not 12. and my dad can beat up your dad.
    Ok ok I'm sorry...list the spec's on your dad and Stripes dad and I'll tell ya why his dad can't beat up your dad....lol I bet it still doesn't have anything ta do with 4x agp vs 8x agp...

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    his is a pen. mines an amd. enough said.

Found this thread doing a google search for 4x vs 8x AGP. I'm thinking about buying a new mobo that will work with my current processor and RAM, 'cause I'm basically broke, but would like some better performance.

Current system: P4 2.0 GHz with 768MB RAM (PC2100 I believe)
    mobo: 4x AGP slot, and 400 MHz FSB.

I've seen a number of posts here and elsewhere that going from 4x to 8x AGP won't do diddly for you unless you have a decent FSB. Soooo, would a new mobo that doubles the FSB and AGP I now have give any performance boost?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BassFace
    Soooo, would a new mobo that doubles the FSB and AGP I now have give any performance boost?
    Yes it would but you would have to basically upgrade CPU, motherboard, memory and video card.

I just ran some basic test between 4x AGP and 8X AGP on my system.

Test #1= 8X AGP
    3D Mark 2000= 20,744
    3D Mark 2001= 23,817
    3D Mark 2003= 12,254

I went into my bios and set my AGP buss to 4X, verified in driver control panel & benchmark details. I wasn't able to test at 2X AGP because my MB has no setting for 2X. I know in the past there wasn't much difference between 2X & 4X AGP.

Test #2= 4X AGP
    3D Mark 2000= 20,143
    3D Mark 2001= 23,711
    3D mark 2003= 12,211

As you can see the difference between 4X AGP & 8X AGP is nothing according to these popular benchmarks. Even the PCI express cards that are out can't beat the AGP cards. Of coarse you hear that PCI-X is new and we haven't tapped its potential......well AGP 8X is long in the tooth over AGP 4X and we've yet reached its potential

If your going to upgrade your system in hope's of using 8X AGP then your wasting time & $$$. If your going to upgrade your system for better overall performance ? Then get a cheap Nforce2 board and a AMD XP 2600 mobile Barton and overclock your PC 2100 ram.

BTW you can do the test yourself on your MB between 2X AGP & 4X AGP.

Recent discussion of this on The Screen Savers indicated that their testing revealed virutally no improved performance due to 4x vs 8x AGP.

Their advice was that if you are wanting the latest video cards available, you will need to match it with appropirate CPU, memory and MB. On the other hand, if you are upgrading an older system on a budget, they recommend that you dissregard the 4x vs 8x issue and buy the best buy card regardless of the card bus. Just make sure the MB supports the card that you are considering.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Very Interesting
    I had problems with my card (4X) and I got a replacement under warranty that is 8X, and actually I think I had a gaining, good enought for me to notice. I didn't run benchmarks becasue my system has changed a lot since my last benchmark, but I am confident to say it improved. Maybe the memory on the new card is faster. I dont really know.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dehcbad25
    Very Interesting
    I had problems with my card (4X) and I got a replacement under warranty that is 8X, and actually I think I had a gaining, good enought for me to notice. I didn't run benchmarks becasue my system has changed a lot since my last benchmark, but I am confident to say it improved. Maybe the memory on the new card is faster. I dont really know.
    What's the old card and what is the replacement?

PNY Verto GeForce 4Ti 4200 G4 MB AGP 4X was the old one
    PNY Verto GeForce 4Ti 4200 G4 MB AGP 8X Replacement