Thread: Kingston HyperX RAM

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar

Kingston HyperX RAM

I was looking at RAM and saw the Kingston HyperX RAM for a few dollars more than the other RAM. Looking at the limited info I saw on it, t said it was geared towards speed freaks and hardcore gamers. Does anyone have more info on this RAM? Is it really worth the extra cash? What do they mean by HyperX? As mcuh info as possible is greatly appreciated...

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I have HyperX PC2700 in my sons ABIT NF7-S and it's fast, the HyperX has a SPD of 5 2 2 2 which is pretty darn quick

if your thinking of using it in your 266 board & replacing your Crucial PC2700 I wouldn't do it....you could lower the timing on the Crucial & get it close to the HyperX. If you need new ram for another board then I would say HyperX is some great stuff but only at a good price don't spend high $$ for it because you can get TwinMos or Buffalo ram with Winbond chips for less $ and it performs just as well or better

BTW the HyperX was hard to run on the NF2 boards but I think they came out with a new REV that works...I was going to send phish the HyperX but I didn't want to hide every time I went on messanger..hehe so he got the Crucial
    Last edited by FastGame; July 21st, 2003 at 16:04 PM.

I'm actually not looking to replace the mobo or the RAM (don't have the cash t do it (now )). I actually have a friend looking at it and wanted to know what I thought. Since I haven't looked at memory for awhile and I hate saying "I don't know." I wanted to read more about it.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Got 512 mb of hyperx pc2700 for my asus a7n8x board and no troubles or hard to run.Is very fast but got some advice from a nf2 forum board that it was better going with the dual channel route with either crucial or corsair pc 3200.I'm sure they are right seeing how the bandwith on a single channel is nearly doubled between the two.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

So from what I am gathering, the RAM's fast, but only if you really want to overclock it. If you're not going to be OC'ing, then get the dual channel crucial/corsair. Right?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    The ram is fast even if your not OC'n, timings of 5-2-2-2 are friggin fast! at stock

Now what MB's are you talking about ? P4's ? AMD ?

If a buddy of yours is asking your advise of HyperX for a NF2 board let me say this....Kingston does not approve the HyperX for NF2 boards, even though the newer Rev of HyperX & the latest NF2 bios clear up some issues with HyperX & NF2 and reports across the net are looking good (some great) your still on your own as far as Kingston support goes.....

Kingston HyperX is top of the line super fast ram! it's best too make sure it's been tested and approved for the MB it's to be used in...this holds true with any ram/brand
    Last edited by FastGame; July 22nd, 2003 at 13:03 PM.

Cool....My friends looking at an Intel board (don't know the model)....and of course, he'll be looking at the new P4 3.06 or 3.2 processor :drool: