Thread: Modem Trouble.........

Modem Trouble.........

Hey Guys,

Got a desperate call from one of my cell customers........saying he thinks he blew his modem out in a storm. He brought TWO computers both with the same problem.....one with XP and one with Win2000 on it (Compaq)

Not being all that familiar with XP (and not liking it at all!) I ran the diagnostic/modem help thingy in it and it dialed my phone twice. However, upon trying to dial out, it says it cannot find dial tone? Am I missing something here? I sure am fumbling around......can't find the dialer, can't seem to find anything in XP where it was in 98. By the way, while I'm here......is there a peice of software that can make XP look like Win98? I've already tried the option to make it look like a "standard desktop" that supposedly makes it look like 98 but that does nothing.

This is an emachine, fairly recent purchase........any ideas on why it reports no dial tone when it dialed my home phone on diagnostics?

Thanks,
    Sharon

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Well to answer your query about making XP look like 98, right-click desktop or Display options in Control Panel, in Themes choose Windows Classic theme.

For the modem problems, I would just replace those with new ones as they're pretty cheap nowadays.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    if you plan on doing a replacement, look at the zoom brand. They have built in surge protection. well worth the investment

You and your customer probably already tried these things, yet they are worth going over. Diagnosing modem problems.

1. Make sure that the phone jack is active. Plug a phone into it and make sure there is a dial tone.

2. Use the same telephone cable that you plug into the modem. That way you know the cable is good.

3. Go to My computer>properties>device manager and delete the modem and reboot. Have driver disk for modem near by.

4. Modem will be located by Win 98 and the install process will start. Put driver disk in drive and answer on screen questions. Win 98 does not always look in add directories so you may have to browse driver disk to find the appropriate directory. The install process will include installation of all modules for the modem you install, they are voice, fax, etc.

5. If modem still doesn't work, buy another one.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    hi

the notorious plug the phone line into the modem and dial out yet it responds with "no dial-tone"

this is very common for most modem that need replacement.
    i have actually heard a dial-tone project from a modem and still get the message.

goto programs/accessories/communication/hyper terminal
    use that program to dial out and test

in win98 i was unsuccessful to tell these modems to bypass the dial-tone check.

do not know about xp because i don/t have any modems anymore.
    your diagnostics program most likely bypasses the dial-tone check and went straight to dial.

did you telephone comunicate with the modem?
    like a fax etc.....

there is a great chance that your modem can be forced to dial-out and make a connection but on reaching an isp it will not make the handshake and your isp will hang-up after 30secs.

if you get any modems do not get "win modems"
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Winmodems? Yuk!!!!

Hey Guys,

Thanks, I'll simply go ahead and replace it. I'm the kind of person (specially if there is an "itis" in an OS I'm not familiar with) to make sure that I've hit everything before making a customer replace hardware. You guys are always there to help.......

I've hated winmodems since I'd found I'd had one in my very first Gateway (YIKES!!!!!!) in 1998! Vowing NEVER to use them once I decided to play technician! In device manager, there is no name to this modem........I guess we can be fairly sure it is one!

By the way, I'm calling the school, throwing myself into XP whether I like it or not! UGH!!!!!!!!

On the "making it look more like 98" thing, as I mentioned, I tried the classic desktop mode, it doesn't do anything as far as making my control panel look like it did. Honestly, I have to click 10 times to the 2 I had to before (and with no shortcuts placed anywhere by me ) to get/find what I want......I hate it. There HAS to be a peice of software for frustrated die hards like me that will make XP look and navigate more like 98? If you find one......please make my day and let me know!

Thanks once again!

Sharon

Re: Winmodems? Yuk!!!!

Originally posted by cmputrskillme
    Hey Guys,

In device manager, there is no name to this modem........I guess we can be fairly sure it is one!

Sharon
    Can you turn off the computer unscrew the case and pull out the modem and read the chip and find the model of this modem

you may not have the proper drivers and this can cause this problem

post your results here of any numbers and we will find the driver for you and this will tell you if its a dud!

You might find it easier to download Belarc Advisor, if you don't already have it and run the program.

Belarc will report virtually everything in the computer including the modem which is listed under Communication.

This is the report on my modem - ESS ES56T-PI Data Fax Modem
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

efc is correct however i beleive that the information it receives is from the installed drivers and not a direct querry with each component.

if there is a program that detect the make and number of individule components regardless of what what driverr are insalled, I would like that very much!

this would be great in the online troubeshooting tech department to help users find drivers for unknown peripherials.

i would say hey run this program and send it to me and I will reply with a link to all the drivers you need.

but in reality, you have to ask the user to open the case and read the card.

i do not recommend this to the avereage user as they can damage the system.

soo.....

anyone know of a program that can do this?

now that i think about it

i remember a long time ago,
    my bro had a laptop without drivers and he ran a program that detected everything and linked to a website htat had all the drivers he needed.

i will find out what the hell it was.....

anyways

cheers
    egghead

Egghead,
    Your help and relentless spirit is what brings me back time and time again.........lol When you find it egghead, I beg of you to share!

Efc, I love the program and thanks for the one up......It didn't give me #'s but it tells darn near everything else! Video is usually what kills me in proprietary machines, this program will tell me what they have! I love it!

Yeah, I remember talking a supposed "experienced" person through opening his case over the phone.....

My Dear Husband saved this guys brand new DVD player from sure death by soldering the pins he "broke" off by "shuving" the cables on like an idiot. DH hooked it up........prayed, crossed fingers, toes and buttcheeks........and it worked.

I made him buy my husband a case of beer for that.

And told him NEVER to unscrew that case again! Amatuers! lol

Sharon

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    The best modem I ever bought is the US Robotics 56k external serial port adapted.Plug it into any computer running any operating system load no drivers and it works every time.You can shut it of at it's console also.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.