Thread: Memory Voltage Question for FastGame

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar

Memory Voltage Question for FastGame

One time when I set my BIOS to load all default settings, I noticed that my memory voltage was set at 2.65. I thought that 2.5 was the default voltage. Someone at MSI forums told me that 2.6 is the default voltage of DDR 400. Ok so I put back my settings at 2.65 volts and tested with Sisoft Sandra at both voltages.

With 2.5 volts I get memory bandwidth of 4,965 at 2.65 volts I get slightly lower at 4,953. Why does it go down?

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Ok, im not FG... but i'll give it a go... maybe the increase in Voltage increases the temp of the RAM, thus incurring all side-effects of heat, ie reduced operating efficiency which would lead to reduced bandwidth or instabilities.

OR, maybe your RAM just likes 2.5 better than 2.65 ??

Better wait for FG for a better answer

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    thats what I would think also the temp. but when you up the voltage its for when you're gonna overclock the ram and tighten the timings to give it more juice to keep it stable.

Well I'm getting mixed results now. Anyway I'm just wondering, is it safe to leave it at 2.65 or 2.7 volts long term?

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Originally posted by Conan
    Well I'm getting mixed results now. Anyway I'm just wondering, is it safe to leave it at 2.65 or 2.7 volts long term?
    What do you get with 2.6 for bandwidth?I would use default settings or recomended settings for DDR 400.Check your heat for cpu and chassis for each setting after running siSoft mem test and cpu strainer.Go with the lower temp.FG would have more insight with this I'm sure.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Well I checked TwinMOS's page and they recommend running the memory at 2.6 volts. So I guess I'll stick with the default of my mobo which is 2.65.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Sorry it took so long Conan but I'm on the road doing baseball trying to get back to the World Series...

Actually your results are well within the margin of error of Sandra, if you run test multi times and get those results then I agree with what the others have said..."Heat" if you run the test over & over the ram heats up (more so at higher voltage) and scores get lower, loop 3D mark and watch your GFX card get slower

Anytime you test your ram (cpu also) whether stock or overclocked you should always try to use the lowest voltage you can and still be stable...why? less heat, cooler temps= less resistance= better performance Thats why water cooling is popular with overclockers because they're able to raise voltage for increased speed & through cooling they maintain performance and stability. It's hard to water cool system ram so fans are used.

Your TwinMos ram is top notch from the PCB to the Winbond chips, it has been proven to like high voltage in an overclocked state and I doubt that you'll ruin it at 2.65 volts, many extreme overclockers run that ram at 3.1 volts so I would say it's safe to run that TwinMos @ 2.7v long term if your cooling is correct

Everytime you run a benchmark after a setting change make sure your PC has plenty of time to cool between test.

BTW all ABIT NF2 Rev 2.0 boards defaut @ 2.7 volts & even though Crucial ram has an SPD of 2.5 volts it's approved by both ABIT & Crucial for use in my board...oh and so is that TwinMos
    Last edited by FastGame; July 26th, 2003 at 06:39 AM.

Thanks FG!