Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Keep Peer Guardian Up-to-Date

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Question, how do I know which version of PG I am using??

OK, I think I had been too much off from the forum. Which is the best way to keep yourself protected from spying eyes??

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I would say its still Peer Guardian & the block list in Sygate firewall.

I guess new things are coming out but don't know about them ???

I don't use sygate. I use no sofware firewall. They take too much resorces when you don't restart your computer often. I also feel it make P2P a lot slower, and it is an aplication more to close when playing games, but I don't feel confortable closing it.
    I do use router with NAT. Now, about that, I think it is possible to filter IPs from the router, right?? and I coud update that list as necesary, right??
    I like that idea better.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Try a program called ProtoWall (search google). It uses few resources than PeerGuardian.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dehcbad25
    I don't use sygate. I use no sofware firewall. They take too much resorces when you don't restart your computer often. I also feel it make P2P a lot slower, and it is an aplication more to close when playing games, but I don't feel confortable closing it.
    I disagree, Sygate doesn't take up much resources. Restart the computer often? I haven't had the need to do this since Windows 98. How much RAM do you have on your machine Dehc?
    Last edited by Conan; February 20th, 2004 at 12:16 PM.

I only have 1 GB

Titanium Member
    Why was my post deleted?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lynchknot
    Why was my post deleted?
    It probably happened when I restored the forum DB.

I do use router with NAT. Now, about that, I think it is possible to filter IPs from the router, right?? and I coud update that list as necesary, right??
    I like that idea better.
    Sounds ok to me. I'm sure it's possible with most routers, however is NAT sufficient protection?

Quote Originally Posted by SupaStar
    Sounds ok to me. I'm sure it's possible with most routers, however is NAT sufficient protection?
    I am not talking about using the NAT as protection, but to do the filter of IPs at the router level. It will certainly decrease the computer activity + it protects all computers in the LAN

I am not talking about using the NAT as protection, but to do the filter of IPs at the router level. It will certainly decrease the computer activity + it protects all computers in the LAN
    I understand that part Dehc (and I agree with you), but you mentioned that you are not using a software firewall, so the question I put to you is, will NAT protect you from the baddies?? I agree, often firewalls slow your download speeds.

baddies? You mean what protowall protects from? That is what I would like to do. Currentlt is it not, so I have to use both, but I would like the router to be able to filter as protowall does. The already come with an IP filter, but it is quite small, and I don't feel like updating 4000 IPs manually

baddies? You mean what protowall protects from? That is what I would like to do. Currentlt is it not, so I have to use both, but I would like the router to be able to filter as protowall does. The already come with an IP filter, but it is quite small, and I don't feel like updating 4000 IPs manually
    I'm talking about hackers and the like. Is NAT enough protection from hackers?

My firewall's IP filter is and IP by IP setup...in other words, you would have to enter the IP's separately. I dont think so!! LoL. Not going to be doing that!

Quote Originally Posted by SupaStar
    I'm talking about hackers and the like. Is NAT enough protection from hackers?

My firewall's IP filter is and IP by IP setup...in other words, you would have to enter the IP's separately. I dont think so!! LoL. Not going to be doing that!
    Ohh. I got your question now.
    I think it is good enought as long as you don't leave your ports open. If you open too many ports it would be easier to pass thru.