Thread: inline connector for repair of my headset

inline connector for repair of my headset

Hello:

The fine single cord from my headset to my tower got caught in the vacuum cleaner the other day and won't work. The insulation was melted.

Oh well!

There are 4 wires involved. One is of copper and about 20 gage. It has a thin black plastic insulation. The 3 others are also copper, of approximately of 27 gage; their insulation is a lacquer-like coating. All the wires are stranded.

I am probably hoping against hope but can anyone tell me if there is some rather smal plug-together connector that I could use to fix things.

And if there is such, where might I obtain such?

If the connector solution is not feasible, is there anything I can do?

wumply (John)
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Do you have access to a soldering iron?

I would suggest the best way to repair it is to solder the wires,making sure you use a fine pointed bit so that the insulation doesn't melt.

Then use insulation tape to cover the soldered joints.
    Last edited by Reverend; August 6th, 2003 at 19:31 PM.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    You can get small plugs that allow you to put two wires in, then crimp the plug and both wires are connected. It used in Automotive electrics for larger wires, or telephone equipment for finer wires.

Best bet would go to a telecommunications services store. They should know what you need.

Good thing, is you dont have to solder the wires hehe. IF you cant get this plug then you have to solder or get whole new wire.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Well, thanks Reverend and Cash_site for your suggestions.

Wumply
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Hey cash_site...I've another problem. Read on!

You had so excellent an idea re fixing my cut headset wires that I want to ask for help re this problem.

I have a new and unused KOSS SB-40 headset that is now discontinued but it is very very comfortable and totally ear covering. It connects to my soundcard through a little device that lets me switch between my computer speakers and my headset earphones. Well, the mic plug is 1/8" in diameter (.125") while the corresponding input jack is stereo and 3.5 mm or .137". That obviously could not work so I got a 1/8" to 1/8" stereo to mono adapter. Now I can record, but the fit is loose as the little device has a 3.5 mm jack. Result: static if the little device gets touched or moved. Trouble here is I need that device on my desk because it has a handy built-in volume control while the headset has no volume control. (By the way my soundcard input jacks are 3.5 mm stereo.)

Is there a way I can increase the diameter of the mic plug to get a tighter fit? I thought of carefully applying a thin coat of solder to the plug end of the adapter but is that practically doable? (There is no way I can get the switchover device apart to play with its jack...I've tried.)

I checked with Radio Shack but they say 1/8" and 3.5 mm are compatible. They did not appear to have an adapter that would make my 1/8" plug fit tightly in the 3.5 mm jack in my little device.

wumply

Two ways you could do it.
    Plug the 1/8" jack into the 3.5mm input and then to stop the plug from moving in the socket wrap loads of electrical insulation tape round it.Make sure you pull and stretch the tape as you are winding it round,this will keep it tighter.

The other option is to buy a 3.5mm plug.
    Cut off the 1/8" plug and solder the wires on to the new 3.5mm plug.

Reverend has got some good ideas, as usual His two options are very do-able and fairly quick & easy.

I would be careful if you try option 2, as it might have 2 connections ie, 1 center core wire, and then insulation, and then another sheath-type wire. So would be a real hassle to solder together. But if it was simply a single wire core, you could cut & paste the wires together...

But let me get the scenario straight... What holes are on the device and what are you plugging into them? Ok, there is one input wire from soundcard to the device. Two output plugs on the device where you plug the headphones in and and speakers in, right??

Where does the mic plug come into play? is it on the device? and its stereo 3.5mm connection? But the mic u want to use is Mono @ 1/8" ??

Is this right so far?

Well... another alternative (if option 2 doesnt work) is to make your own adapter. That is, get a 1/8" hole plus wire and solder to 3.5mm jack, sort of an inline adapter, so you just plug the 1/8" mic into it, then plug that adapter into the 3.5mm hole on the soundcard or device.

Hope it helps... i can clarify later if need be.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Hey cash_site:

Description of my little device (Andrea Electronics MC-100...www.andreaelectronics.com should you wish to go there.)

In describing it, I will use the term "cords" rather than "wires" since I cannot be sure how many wires are in the insulated cords.

The device is small and thin and rectangular. Out of 1 end there comes a double cord (two joined along their length. This is not removable from the device. However, 3-4 feet from the device these cords separate into 2 distinct cords; one goes to the mic plug; the other to the spkr plug. Both are stereo plugs, both are 3.5mm and both plug into the soundcard with a perfect fit.

OK. At the other end of the device there are 2 jacks. You cannot see the jacks...just the entrance holes. One is for the mic plug and the other for the spkr plug and this is where the headset cords (mic and earphones) connect into the device. These are both 3.5 mm jacks; I know this because when I plug a 3.5 mm plug into them, the fit is solid and everything works.

There is one more jack in the unit. It is in the first end (see Par. 3) and a cord with 3.5 mm stereo plug comes out of the back of one of my 2 small-for-computers-Altec-Lansing-speakers. It comes out of a jack marked "Input 2." (I doubt this is of concern re my problem but I wanted to describe the Andrea device fully.)

Just to be sure and clear: the mic jack from my headset is 1/8" MONO. The earphone speaker jack is 3.5 mm stereo.

Now...

1. How can we tell if there are 2 wires (a wire and a sheath wire) going into the 1/8" plug for the headset microphone without cutting the cord.? I called the manufacfturer, oss, but they refused to answer that question out of fear if I cut the mic cord and did something that might cause a problem (???), I could sue. They would not tell me.

Sorry: I hit the "Post Reply" button accidentally.

IF, AT THIS POINT, THINGS ARE GETTING TOO DETAILED TO BE EFFECTIVELY SOLVED VIA THE INTERNET, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO OPT OUT OF MY PROBLEM AND ACCEPT MY THANKS FOR YOUR EFFDORTS. IT'S YOUR CALL.

1 wire would make connecting to a jack easier and neater.

But if there are two such wires in the mic cord, how do I tell from the new plug wires and the 1 or 2 wires from the headset mic which connects to which?

And I'd have to twist the wires together, solder and tape, right? plugs this small never come with internal screws suchs as you might have in the older ham radio plugs.

If a pic would help I can snap on and email it if you should want to give me your email address.

wumply

John,have you tried my first suggestion? It's the easiest and cheapest option,all you need is a roll of electrical tape.
    Plug the 1/8" jack into the 3.5mm input and then to stop the plug from moving in the socket wrap loads of electrical insulation tape round it.Make sure you pull and stretch the tape as you are winding it round,this will keep it tighter.

Reverend.

No, not yet. I am something of a perfectionist and it would just bug me the way it would come out looking with lots of electrical tape wrapped around it. I want to exhaust every possible option that might keep it looking, shall I say 'proffesional' first.

I realize I may have to compromise; I will if I have to.

wumply

FHey Reverend and cash_site

All lis solved. The solution: Went to another Radio Sfhack store; discovered they had a 3.5 mm stereoplug that had solder terminal inside--same size as the commercial ones. They connected joined the two terminals together with the live (non-garound side) wire which turned it into a mono plug. I came home, connected things up, and it is recording just fine.

The problem was not in the incompatibility of a 1/8" jack; and the .012" larger stereo jack. I was wrong there; indeed the .012 difference is insignificant. What was the problem was that the mono-to-stereo adapter for the plug that I was using had been designed in such a manner that it allowed the mic plug to wobble side-to-side (though not up and down.) It was just one of those unexpected things. Had a different engineer designed the adapter, there could easily have been no problem at all.

Also, the R. S. technician had the tools (good meters, small soldering irons, thin solder that I did not) that made the job easy and they didn't even charge me.

Thank you both for your help.

John

Well there you go wumply, all is well. If only there were more people like that radio tech guy, then the world would be better place for it

I like these little electrical challenges, my kind of hands on stuff You should see my study, full of power supply's and cro and sig-gens hehe

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Yep, there I go, Cash!

I'd love to see your study...but you're in Brisbane and I, in New Hampshire, am 1/2 an earth away.

Yes, I have often wished there were more techs like this one...we're just lucky sometimes.

wumply