Thread: Sd Ram & Dd Ram

Sd Ram & Dd Ram

Can anyone tell me the difference between SD Ram & DD Ram.Please also guide me which one is better & wat kind of Ram would be better for my new P-4 system.
    Muhammad Irfan

Here's a pretty good article on DRAM

http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/19981024/

By DD I assume you mean DDR which is Double Data Rate.........two data transfers per clock cycle. Faster ram. Does more work per cycle.

Get the best and most ram you cn afford for the MB. You won't be sorry.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    What are some of the top brands? Corsair? Kingmax? Kingston?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar

Re: Sd Ram & Dd Ram

Originally posted by Muhammad Irfan
    Can anyone tell me the difference between SD Ram & DD Ram.Please also guide me which one is better & wat kind of Ram would be better for my new P-4 system.
    Do you already have it or are you still in the planning stages? Don't forget that motherboard choice is also very important here and will dictate what RAM you will need.

If you don't have your stuff yet, I would recommend the latest Hyperthreading P4 with 800 mhz FSB (from 2.4, 2.6, 2.8, 3.0 Ghz) matched with a motherboard with an 865 or 875 chipset as these are the fastest at the moment. 2 sticks of DDR 400 memory will be needed for these motherboards as they take advantage of "Dual Channel Memory" which speeds things up when 2 sticks of RAM are used.

For memory recommendations top performers with high prices are Corsair, OCZ, Kingston HyperX, Crucial, good performers with reasonable price are TwinMOS, Kingmax, Apacer. Geil is not recommended due to incompatibility problems with these chipsets.

If you will go by my recommendations with the motherboard choice, get DDR 400 modules with a CAS Latency of 2. As these will allow you to take advantage of Ultra-turbo settings on these motherboards.

Oh and whatever your choice may be forget normal SDRAM, it's slow and you would need an ancient motherboard to use those.
    Last edited by Conan; August 8th, 2003 at 01:44 AM.

Does it make any difference to the speed if one have a single Ram module or 2 which have the same overall memory size.
    eg.1- 128 MB(single module)
    or 2- 64 MB(2 modules)
    Muhammad Irfan

Does it make any difference to the speed if one have a single Ram module or 2 which have the same overall memory size.
    eg.1- 128 MB(single module)
    or 2- 64 MB(2 modules)
    It depends on the motherboard. Motherboards with "dual channel" memory need 2 sticks of identical RAM to function at increased speeds (you can also just stick in 1 stick but it will run slower). Motherboards that do not have the "dual channel" feature can run with any number of RAM sticks and do not need to be identical, of course these give lower performance figures compared to "dual channel" motherboards.
    Last edited by Conan; August 10th, 2003 at 04:55 AM.

Re: Re: Sd Ram & Dd Ram

Originally posted by Conan
    Do you already have it or are you still in the planning stages? Don't forget that motherboard choice is also very important here and will dictate what RAM you will need.

If you don't have your stuff yet, I would recommend the latest Hyperthreading P4 with 800 mhz FSB (from 2.4, 2.6, 2.8, 3.0 Ghz) matched with a motherboard with an 865 or 875 chip-set as these are the fastest at the moment. 2 sticks of DDR 400 memory will be needed for these motherboards as they take advantage of "Dual Channel Memory" which speeds things up when 2 sticks of RAM are used.

For memory recommendations top performers with high prices are Corsair, OCZ, Kingston HyperX, Crucial, good performers with reasonable price are TwinMOS, Kingmax, Apacer. Geil is not recommended due to incompatibility problems with these chipsets.

If you will go by my recommendations with the motherboard choice, get DDR 400 modules with a CAS Latency of 2. As these will allow you to take advantage of Ultra-turbo settings on these motherboards.

Oh and whatever your choice may be forget normal SDRAM, it's slow and you would need an ancient motherboard to use those.
    Conan, I'm really impressed with your brief and to the point recommendations on the MOBO/Ram options here.

I'm currently looking to upgrade and would prefer the AMD chipset, what recommendations do you have for AMD?

Also do you now and good reference sites for elaboration on SPEC details for motherboards and graphic cards details?

BJ

Re: Re: Re: Sd Ram & Dd Ram

Originally posted by Bee-Jay
    Conan, I'm really impressed with your brief and to the point recommendations on the MOBO/Ram options here.

I'm currently looking to upgrade and would prefer the AMD chipset, what recommendations do you have for AMD?

Also do you now and good reference sites for elaboration on SPEC details for motherboards and graphic cards details?

BJ
    Well I'm no expert on AMD systems but from what I know an XP 2600 and up, matched with an NForce 2 mobo is the best choice right now.

For hardware specs and reviews check out the following:

http://www.anandtech.com/

http://www.ocaddiction.com/

Thanks Conan, prompt reasponse

I`ve got P-4 1.8GHz processor & Intel motherboard (D845GEBV2).
    Now tell me the recommandations abt RAM on this Board.
    Also tell me how can I chack the VGA available.Although someone told me that it`s 64MB on this board(built-in).But how can I verify that.
    Muhammad Irfan

I`ve got P-4 1.8GHz processor & Intel motherboard (D845GEBV2).
    Now tell me the recommandations abt RAM on this Board.
    Also tell me how can I chack the VGA available.Although someone told me that it`s 64MB on this board(built-in).But how can I verify that.
    The best memory for that board is PC 2700 or DDR 333. I found a review on it:

http://www.digital-daily.com/motherb...l-845ge_board/