Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying Into AMD

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Buying Into AMD

http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/an...469928,00.html

Found that little gem in one of my techTV newsletters. Gives a basic and easy to read through rundown of the AMD processor family. Well worth a glance IMHO.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    I've got nothing against my Athlon...except maybe the noise generated by the fan i had to strap to it.

I think I will buy an AMD when I get ready to upgrade. I was going to upgrade this month, but unfortunately I got that speeding ticket and well, my upgrade plans were smashed to bits.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I've always like AMD Chips, due to low cost and great performance, but at the high-end of systems, they just lack the grunt to pull ahead. Sort of like a rice-rocket vs yank tank V8...

If I was to upgrade I would want to look at whats coming next and if its compatible, IE, you can use same MB for Duron 600 all the way to XP 3200+ !! But some people got stung at P4 1.8 who cant go past 2ghz... Intel have improved things now, with newer P4's 800-Class which should be good right up to a few Ghz.

Not flaming AMD, but it might be worth getting a good P4-C 2.6/8 and O/C to 3+Ghz, and then save for 4Ghz which should slot straight in...

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

it's just when you compare the prices of the chip and motherboard between and AMD machine and Intel, the top end Intel makes me want to choke..

Amd is a much better bang for the buck for a great system that will fulfill all the needs I have. I am not a performance maniac. I am just looking for a machine that will get me through the coming 2 years or more.. I was one of those that got stung by Intel's little, let's switch from 423Pins to 478, and fark all of our older customers who were suckered into buying those discontinued products..

That and I have only had 1 AMD machine out of 6.. so it is time to give AMD a go. Also you got to think about the overclocking aspects of AMD.. they are known for it. Intel on the other hand makes it as difficult as possible.

It would be nice to have a P4 2.8-3.2ghz 800mhz FSB, but I could get two AMD machines at that price..

Might even be able to get an opteron system at those prices.. and an opteron would smoke that P4 800mhz FSB AFAIK, being it 64bit compatible and 32 bit compatible in one.

Just an observation.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    What's that you say, Opteron?

http://www.info.com.ph/~mendez/sigs/cpu.JPG

If you take a look at hardware sites, especially overclocker's sites, loads of people have jumped ship from AMD to Intel precisely because of the 800 FSB and dual channel boards.
    Last edited by Conan; August 12th, 2003 at 10:03 AM.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Originally posted by Conan

http://www.info.com.ph/~mendez/sigs/cpu.JPG

The proof is in the pudding

Do you have a comparison of the 400mhz FSB athlon 3200?

And I am sure the opteron would shine in the 64bit environment. AFAIK the current pentium 4s are incompatible with 64bit computing, though I could be wrong.

Granted though the AMD architecture is a bit aged compared to Intel, but then AMD's products are backward compatible all the way back to the Duron 800 AFAIK.

With intel, you get screwed in the longrun I think, as newer technologies emerge, they change the format so you buy more of their products.

Just like you Conan, you couldn't just upgrade the chip, you had to upgrade the motherboard too, because the FSB limitation of your Motherboard..

I say enjoy feeding the pockets of intel, I am finished with it.

Originally posted by Big Booger

Just like you Conan, you couldn't just upgrade the chip, you had to upgrade the motherboard too, because the FSB limitation of your Motherboard..

I say enjoy feeding the pockets of intel, I am finished with it.
    Well just like you I had a stupid Intel board to start with. But you know, in spite of the slowness and featureless BIOS of my old Intel motherboard, now that I have a really fast MSI board I see that what Intel lacked in features, they made up in build quality. This MSI board doesn't have the same build quality yet has all the bells and whistles of overclocking.

I wonder if there is a motherboard out there that has both qualities as I've read up on both Asus and Abit and they do have build quality problems themselves.

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    I've been pleasantly surprised by the AMD. I've always used the Intel chips for my PC's until recently and all I can say is that I can't see a performance difference between the two.

The only recommendation I would make is for AMD to change the numbering scheme. I can't say how many times I've heard people say they got a 2.2 from AMD only to find they meant they got a 2200.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Originally posted by Conan
    I wonder if there is a motherboard out there that has both qualities as I've read up on both Asus and Abit and they do have build quality problems themselves.
    ASUS and ABIT are every bit as good as anything INTEL has to offer, the more features the more there's a chance for problems.

The AMD Athlon is an old design yet as of today it's still very competitive with INTEL as far as performance goes and kicks INTEL's butt as far as $$$ goes. The Athlon doesn't make use of dual channel, isn't quad pumped, no hyper threading, yet clock cycle per clock cycle it's still the king and has been since the old days of the 1.4 T-Bird...it's just that the Athlon has reached it's clock limit and can't match the fastest that Intel has to offer today.

My AMD system is very fast and does everything I need to do, it's going to take some huge improvement to make me upgrade.

Originally posted by FastGame
    ASUS and ABIT are every bit as good as anything INTEL has to offer, the more features the more there's a chance for problems.

Let me tell you I've been scouring almost all reviews of every 865/875 motherboard manufacturer out there to see if I made a mistake buying my MSI motherboard. That's when I found out that in spite of the reputations of Asus and Abit, they are prone to making mistakes on their boards.

With the Abit board, one screw (to fasten the motherboard to the case) could not go in properly due to being blocked by some other component. With the Asus Canterwood (P4C800) board, they skimped so much trying to save money in manufacturing this board that they had to come up with a new release, the P4C800E which addressed the bottleneck problems they created by using cheap components.

Geezz Conan chill I should know better...all the reviews I've read say ABIT & ASUS are the top P4 boards but I'm sure I haven't checked all the in's & out's of P4 boards like you have. Sorry

Ok forget the ASUS...if I were to get a P4 board I would get the ABIT and leave the 1 screw out

Originally posted by FastGame
    Geezz Conan chill I should know better...all the reviews I've read say ABIT & ASUS are the top P4 boards but I'm sure I haven't checked all the in's & out's of P4 boards like you have. Sorry

Ok forget the ASUS...if I were to get a P4 board I would get the ABIT and leave the 1 screw out
    Ha-ha, no problem FG! By the way Twinmos has a new line of low latency RAM, check it out:

http://www.twinmos.com/press2003_0731.htm

They look great too!

Thanks for the ram link Conan, Twinmos looks too be the best ram for the NF2 boards so this new stuff should rock