Thread: Check this out

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar

Check this out

Just today I got an e-mail from a customer that I built a new machine for.Just thought it was funny when I read it but I believe the system is compromised.LOL

Quote;The computer keeps crashing and this Virtual Bouncer says it has detected a parasite and do I want to remove it.
    If I say yes then it asks me to send $20. If not then in a few minutes it shuts the entire system down.
    Should I send the cash? Thanks,
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Read the second question here (Virtual Bouncer notified me about a parasite, and I asked for it to be removed, but the removal failed. What should I do? ),http://www.spywarelabs.com/support.html

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Thanks Rev,I sent him the info as well as some other security tips and suggestions for spyware removal.Something else must be shutting down his machine because unless I missed something VB tech support doesn't mention the sytem shutting down.I also sent him instructions and links to install the patch and remove the blaster worm.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    looks like a double wammy saw on the news last night that techs are charging 90-140 for express service to deworm their rigs. man can you believe that. talk about raping the customer. 5min download and a 20min scan and your done.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    im getting $20 bucks a pop
    hehe

upgrade anyone?
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I guess thats the price you pay for 'ignorance', sort of like playing with fire you will surely get burnt. Just because PC are common place now, doesnt mean you dont have to take care of it and be careful using it.

Dont worry, I dont like being taken advantage of either, and especially to make other people rich

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Most people just want to use a computer but don't want the hassel of compatibility issues and upgrading and finding out what to download and what not to download.They don't clean their temp folders or cookies out,they don't defrag.They don't run firewalls.They wonder why their systems slow down and are confused when you ask if they are running an adware removal software.We all learn from ignorance,hopefully,but there is something about a computer to a lot of people that says"Just plug me in and I will do anything you thought I could do".

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I've done 4 PCs for free for friends and inlaws.

If you pay for tech support, you get their guarantee..
    while 90-140 a pop is a bit excessive IMHO, some people are willing to pay just to stay clean and clear of virii, worms, etc..

Zipp is on key. They want the PC, but don't want to maintain it. That is where remote assistance is invaluable if the customer is running windows Xp. YOu just long on, take control, and bam, you can make the changes as needed with little effort, and then send them a small bill in the mail for your time and effort.

If I ever get into the customer service business, that is one software, that or netmeeting, that I will definitely setup securely on all the client PCs..

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I did 18 PC's for free so my Karma is fully stocked now

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    Originally posted by FastGame
    I did 18 PC's for free so my Karma is fully stocked now
    my Karma instructs me to charge $20 or go through the rest of the year poor

i feel better knowing my phone is ringing :0
    ------------------------------------------------------------