Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can i put my Emachines memory in my Gateway PC?

can i put my Emachines memory in my Gateway PC?

I'm low on ramm. my Emachines PC is only 1 year older than my Gateway 300S. my Emachines is 64 MB. my Gateways memory is 128 MB 266 MHz PC2100 DDR SDRAM. could i add one to the other. my Gateway is 8 months old. I've read everything about memory and it's all greek to me.
    thanks

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    veronica welcome to the board. We would need to know what that stick of 64 meg ram is? PC100, PC133, PC2100 DDR. But to be honest as cheap is ram is now I would just go out and buy some new PC2100 256-512megs.

PC133 256megs

PC2100 DDR 256megs

found at newegg.com

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Veronica,

Hello and welcome to Techzonez.Did your e-machines computer come with any documentation?If so read through it and try to locate the information about memory modules.If it matches pc 2100 like your Gateway then you probably can use it.Another way is to take the ram out of the e-machines and look to see if there is a sticker on it that says DDR 266.I suspect that the e-machines has pc 133 and is not going to work in your Gateway.The reason I say this is because(and correct me tzer's if I'm wrong),I haven't found any 64 MB PC 2100 memory modules on the market yet.And secondly,the e-machines is 18 mos. old which puts it in the era of Windows ME beginning of XP time frame and double data rate(DDR) ram was just starting out and probably not offered on that brand computer.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Does your emachines PC have a model number?

eMachines T2341
    eMachines T2482
    eMachines T2615
    eMachines T2625

most of the T-series Emachines have DDR ram.

If it is any of the etower or emonster series, they most likely use PC133 SDRAM.

If you don't know the model number, then tell me what color is the case? If it is beige, or grey it is most likely the older etower or emonster machines. If it is black then it is probably a Tseries.

Hope that helps.

it is model T1090. it has windows XP. it says 128 MB Sync DRAM on the front. but i'm pretty sure it's 64 MB memory. it has a beige case. the Emachines has 900 MHz processer.

thanks for the warm welcome and replies

i've seen 512 memory for $73. but i don't know if i should get rimm or dimm. i don't know if i have to get 2 memory sticks. if the memory sticks have to match size, brand, lot #, if you have to have 2. if the maximum is 512 memory. i don't know anything about bandwidth.

I'd get two sticks of 256MB DDR 2100 and that should suit you just fine. Then sell or give away your other stick.

You bought an early model of the Tseries that didn't have the DDR ram.

hey boogs do you mean 2x 256 of pc133 since you since she said she has sdram.

I thought she was upgrading the Gateway PC with the DDR ram. She did ask, AFAIK,
    my Emachines is 64 MB. my Gateways memory is 128 MB 266 MHz PC2100 DDR SDRAM. could i add one to the other. my Gateway is 8 months old.
    Which I assumed meant, she wanted to upgrade the Gateway machine with more ram.

2X256MB DDR PC2100 would do rather nicely I think. Then sell or give away the 1X128MB DDR RaM.

If she is wanting to upgrade the emachines, then yeah, I totally agree with you phish.

To upgrade the emachines, sell that 64MB of ram, and get 2 sticks of 256MB PC133 SDRAM.

could i get one 512MB DDR PC2100 SDRAM from price watch ?? so i could possibly use it in my next machine ?? they have memory sticks that say lifetime warranty. is the SDRAM part important when i order ??

thank you

yes AFAIk you can get 1 512MB PC2100 DDR ram stick from pricewatch and put the other 128MB PC2100 DDR in as well for a total of 640MB of ram.

Just make sure they are both PC2100 DDR modules.

From the Pricewatch site:

http://www.smksuperstore.com/404.asp...6/viewitem.htm

512MB PC2100 (Generic - OEM)

512MB Capacity
    64x64 Module
    2.5 Volt
    184 Pin
    Unbuffered
    4 Layer Module Board
    Cas ( 3 )
    Generic Brand
    32x8 DRAM

512MB PC2100 (Type A) Generic OEM

$63.00

If you are a normal personal computer user I think generic ram will suit you nicely. Although, the more expensive name brand memory is of higher quality and less likely to cause you trouble. If you have a trouble you should be able to send it back, depending on where you get it from.

Let us know what you decide.

Originally posted by Big Booger
    yes AFAIk you can get 1 512MB PC2100 DDR ram stick from pricewatch and put the other 128MB PC2100 DDR in as well for a total of 640MB of ram.

Just make sure they are both PC2100 DDR modules.

From the Pricewatch site:

http://www.smksuperstore.com/404.asp...6/viewitem.htm

512MB PC2100 (Generic - OEM)

512MB Capacity
    64x64 Module
    2.5 Volt
    184 Pin
    Unbuffered
    4 Layer Module Board
    Cas ( 3 )
    Generic Brand
    32x8 DRAM

512MB PC2100 (Type A) Generic OEM

$63.00

If you are a normal personal computer user I think generic ram will suit you nicely. Although, the more expensive name brand memory is of higher quality and less likely to cause you trouble. If you have a trouble you should be able to send it back, depending on where you get it from.

Let us know what you decide.
    i read somewhere that the maximum amount of memory for my PC is 512MB.

what does AFAIk mean?

afaik...booger likes to use that internet ebonics. here is a good translator

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    ARHHHHH
    I tried to find information for your Gateway in gateway.com. Ohh, it is so bad the layout of that web site. I spent (waste better said) half an hour around the web site and I couldn't find a single manual, user guide, or pscification for that computer.
    What I read (in PCWORLD) is that it comes with 256MB of DDR RAM DDR 333, so the RAM that boogs is recomending will make the system slower.
    What you actually have to do is read the manual the section where is says RAM upgrades and lets us now the RAM type (SDRAM or DDR) plus the speed (it could be PC2100 266MHz, or DDR333 also known as PC2700)
    RAM is easy to install, the hardest part as you might have seen is to get the right type
    The manual will have the answer.
    Also, as for the limit, 512MB could be the limit per socket or total limit. The manual again will have this answer. If the total is 512 MB that means that you can only get 256MB sticks maximum. I doubt 512 total is the maximum if it has DDR333.
    Repeating myself a little more again, you could write from the manual the specifications and we will tell you with more details what you need

As for your eMachines, I don't think it has 64MB. WXP wouldn't run, or it would take hours to boot
    Why don't you buy RAM for that one too??
    Here are the specs for the eMachines
    Specifications of eMachines T1090

Intel® Celeron® Processor 900 MHz (w/128KB)
    Intel 810 Chipset, 100 MHz FSB
    20 GB HDD
    128 MB SDRAM
    56K* ITU v.90 internal Fax/Modem
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
    Built-in 48x Max. CD-ROM Drive; 3.5" 1.44MB FDD
    Keyboard, Mouse, Stereo Speakers
    Intel 82801 AC ‘97 Audio
    Intel DirectAGP 3D (810 shared)
    2 USB ports (1 on front bezel), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 1 Midi/Game, 2 PS/2, Audio In & Out, Microphone In
    This one has SDRAM and I am 99% sure it is PC133. Read the manual to find out the maximum, because currently I get an error when trying to check the manual for the PC (emachines layout is better than Gateway, thought not that updated)
    I have an eMachines and it is pretty reliable considering the price and use I give it.
    I Strongly recomend that you upgrade the RAM for the eMachines now, even if you don't use it much, because prices for SDRAM will raise probably. It is a type of memory that has stopped productions a couple of months ago to give more production to DDR, so prices will go up. You can get it really cheap, and you will see a BIG diference in the eMachines. 128 MB is just enought (or not even) for XP to load. My sister had an eMachines with 128MB, I upgraded it to 512 MB (256MB x2) and she is extremely happy with it. She uses it as a audio center, to browse the Internet and to study all at the same time, so it does make a difference

Originally posted by Dehcbad25
    ARHHHHH

1] What I read (in PCWORLD) is that it comes with 256MB of DDR RAM DDR 333, so the RAM that boogs is recomending will make the system slower.
    What you actually have to do is read the manual the section where is says RAM upgrades and lets us now the RAM type (SDRAM or DDR) plus the speed (it could be PC2100 266MHz, or DDR333 also known as PC2700)
    RAM is easy to install, the hardest part as you might have seen is to get the right type
    The manual will have the answer.
    Also, as for the limit, 512MB could be the limit per socket or total limit. The manual again will have this answer. If the total is 512 MB that means that you can only get 256MB sticks maximum. I doubt 512 total is the maximum if it has DDR333.
    Repeating myself a little more again, you could write from the manual the specifications and we will tell you with more details what you need

2] As for your eMachines, I don't think it has 64MB. WXP wouldn't run, or it would take hours to boot
    Why don't you buy RAM for that one too??
    1] the gateway is model 300S

128MB 266 MHz PC2100 DDR SDRAM

i read online somewhere that the maximum memory for my pc is 512.

i'm not going to do anything for the emachines because it went through 2 power surges and fried.

thank you for all your effort.

If the max ram is 512MB, then you need to purchase 2 sticks of PC2100 256MB DDR, and sell your 128MB stick.

That was my suggestion before and I think that is the best you can do with your machine.

2 sticks will still be compatible in the future as long as your future motherboard, when you upgrade, supports DDR PC2100.

And Veronica, to be honest, you're better of going with a site like http://www.crucial.com

I did a search and found the following info about your 300 series Gateway:

System Info:

* Maximum memory: 512MB
    * Standard memory: 128, 256, or 512MB removable
    * Slots: 2 (2 banks of 1)

I'd buy two sticks of PC2100 ram from crucial for $46 a piece. You even get free shipping with Crucial.

FREE shipping on qualified orders.
    For a limited time, receive free second-day shipping within the contiguous US

Buy the DDR RAM FROM CRUCIAL
    Last edited by Big Booger; September 9th, 2003 at 06:37 AM.