Thread: computer still slow...

computer still slow...

i've removed the blaster worm from my computer but my computer is still running extremely slow. it still has the symptoms it did when it was "infected"... am i going to need to reinstall windows?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    So, you've patched the problem, ran the removal tool, double checked in the windows/system32 folder to see if MSBLAST.EXE is still there?

Have you hit control ALT delete, which brings up the task manager and then checked what processes are using your CPU the most?

After you answer that, I think I might be able to help a little more.

thanks for the quick response...

i didn't see msblast.exe anywhere... task manager shows no msblast.exe either...
    i read on the microsoft website about disabling the system restore so the fixblast can scan everything for the worm, but when i try to do that, a message comes up that says "system restore is unable to protect your computer. please restart and try again" and when i do, i get the same message. could that be causing the problem?

when you open task manager,
    click the processes tab,

Then click the word CPU twice.
    That should put the processes in decending order from the most CPU usage to the least.

Then tell me what is using your CPU the most. That will give us the answer to your comp slowdown I think.

And you are sure its the computer slowing down, or is it the internet slowing down?

If you suspect it is the internet,
    try this site to test your speed:

http://www.pcpitstop.com

choose their internet speed test on the left. try both upload and download tests.

Then tell me your result for that as well.

Unhappy

I also done the patch thing and removed the virus, but it comes back coz i havent scanned my second hardrive they are infected too now I did a norton scan and guess what i got 60 infected files so far they are all .exe. now my question is does teh blaster worm multiply itself and eat my harddrive space., I got an error message that not enough space I got only a bunch of programs not much to make my drive full..

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Originally posted by CYBER<|>RAT
    now my question is does teh blaster worm multiply itself and eat my harddrive space., I got an error message that not enough space I got only a bunch of programs not much to make my drive full..
    Sounds like it could be another virus. Did Norton delete/fix those files?

Make sure to disable system restore before you remove it. It could be restoring itself from the system restore..

Worth a shot.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Originally posted by Big Booger
    Make sure to disable system restore before you remove it. It could be restoring itself from the system restore..

Worth a shot.
    Additionally, I always disable system restore on my 2nd hard drive. You might want to try that too.