Thread: Internet Connection Sharing Blues

Bronze Member

Internet Connection Sharing Blues

The host is XP Home but I'm having problem with the reliability of ICS.

The host has been set up and connects quite happily via Broadband (BTconnect). I *did* have the other machines on the small network (1xXP Home, 2xWin2000Pro) connecting OK, although never completely solidly; they seemed to cause the host to fail.

Now I get a host failure whenever I try to use the internet from a client machine.

The failure message is "Generic host process for Win32 services has encountered and error and needs to close". Following that, the connection lo longer works. It want to readial it but reports it as connected, although can’t disconnect.

1. The are no viruses present anywhere on the network (certainly not blaster!)
    2. All details provided most places as to how to set up the connection have been followed.
    3. I've tried setting the host to connect if needed and also not to do this.
    4. I've run out of ideas!

Is my problem the fact that I'm using Micro$oft's product or has anyone any other ideas?

…OOPS! I’ve just got that error message without trying to use a client machine, although they are all turned on!

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    When did this start happening? And have you installed any new hardware recently?

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 821690

When you start your computer, you may receive the following error message:

Generic Host Process for WIN32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

I hope this is of some help for you, let us know..

Bronze Member
    The host machine is completely new, as are 2 of the 3 clients.

I've never had the connection working reliably however I'm now beginning to suspect the network in some way - or the printer!

That brings us to the MS article which looked hopeful but the HP version test reports that we're using the latest driver.

Does the printer work on the network?

One simple, yet expensive way to take care of this, would be to get a cheap router, 4 port, and network them through the router.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=16162

About 48 pounds for a 4 port broadband router with NAT. Then, no machine has to be dedicated as the host. Any machine can connect even with the others shut off. AFAIK, with the way you are running now, your host has to be turned on, for the clients to connect.

I had this same issue. I found that it was because of DHCP, somehow it got enabled, and screwed up the ICS. The host would kill the client, and the clients would kill the host.. But I never got that error that you did.

I never could figure it out exactly, so I went to a router based connection sharing. Never had a problem, other than it was too secure at times. Had to learn about port mapping, DMZ. etc..

I'd say this, try uninstalling all NICS on all machines. Delete all connections, and start over. This time around assign IPs to each, same subnets, and use the correct gateway.

Not sure if it will work, but who knows. Worth a shot.

I am sure the router would fix your woes.

Bronze Member
    You seem to be suggesting what I was coming round to.

I was never too happy with the dynamic setup I've got here, particularly using Micorsoft's idea of DHCP and DNS.

I had thought I'd got it working by taking one of the machines out of the network but after about 15 minutes it all went belly up again! At least it means that it wasn't that particular machine which was casuing it.

I'll have a go at setting the ICS system to be under my control with static IP addresses, etc. and see if the problem goes away.

I like the idea of a separate router but my client is less keen! The idea of having all these server type functions running on one of the office machines doesn't give me confidence in its robustness.

the big kicker is to let your client know that by enabling ICS, without firewall, and sometimes even with, all machines connected over that network can be infected with virii and spread fairly easily, hackers have the ability to work in all three machines, again depending on how well ICS was setup etc..

With a router, each machine would have its' own internal Ip, and all three machines would show the same external address making it more secure. Router has hardware based firewall, wireless routers require no wires , routers are easy to configure and maintain, create simple to read logs of activity (connection and disconnection, attempted intrusions etc..) etc.

The only thing that a router does too well is block out everything. You have to be prepared for that.. port mapping, getting P2P apps to work correctly, instant messenger apps, etc...

DHCP is a protocol that I just didn't like using. I like knowing the IP of each machine at all times so that I can connect to them, ping them, etc..

Below is a site that lists issues with DHCP and NAV:
    http://www.bl.com/moshe/text/quiddit...on_errors.html

But I highly doubt that is the cause of your issue.

Bronze Member
    Well I've ditched Microsoft to solve this. I'm using static IP addresses and Analogx Proxyi. The whole system's been running OK now for 15 minutes with all machines accessing the internet and everything.

It's a perfectly adequate solution for what we need.

I've got a feeling which has been growing throughout this whole episode that the problems were coming from the DHCP/DNS setup. Nice to have, perhaps but not really necessary for a 4 computer network.

Yeah analog X's proxy works real well. Easy to setup, easy to maintain. I'd just firewall all clients, or at the minimum, the host. Make sure to run Antivirus software.. etc.. the typical LAN security settings, etc..

Bronze Member
    The host is tied down with firewall (ZoneAlarm pro) an anti virus (AVG). I fthis is working why should there be a need for firewalls on the client? If it is not working, what's the point putting firewalls on the client - presumably they also would be inadequate?

Originally posted by Big Booger
    DHCP is a protocol that I just didn't like using. I like knowing the IP of each machine at all times so that I can connect to them, ping them, etc..
    Im with B.B, I cant stand using DHCP so I assigned my own ip address to my NIC's as I was having a major headaches with the o/s being able to handle automatically assign its own for both my cards
    You may get a better result by ditching DHCP
    R.I.P
    MSN Status: | Please Read The Forum Rules

if the host is tied down, that is fine and dandy. But let's say for example, your firewall on the host was to shutdown for some reason, then you leave your clients open like sitting ducks as well as the host. Honestly, I would and do install firewalls and antivirus applications on every machine in my network. You never know when an exploit for the proxy server app may be used, or some other exploit. I take the standpoint that there is no such thing as too much protection.

At the minimum, at least run antivirus software on all machines, because if one gets infected, they all do, usually, depending on the virus.

It's your call though, your network. I feel secure knowing all my machines are firewalled both with a hardware router/firewall and sygate.. as well as Norton 2003 AV on all machines.

Bronze Member
    What you say makes a lot of sense and it's no problem to implement.

I must say that I have yet to have a successful network solution when using Microsoft's ideas of DHCP. I have no problem with unix versions where I'm in proper control but when it comes to MS, I always end up using static IP addresses.

I also tend to find that as the network use develops, the various machines take on various server roles (web server, etc) and so *need* static addresses anyway!

I am glad to see that you got it sorted. Keep the machines updated and you shouldn't have any problems. DCHP needs work IMHO, that or I need to study up on its implementation in a network.