Thread: Computer is powering down!

Bronze Member

Computer is powering down!

Can anyone come up with any possible causes as to why a computer I'm trying to sort out keeps shutting down?

It can be sitting there minding its own business and then suddenly it will shut down... just like the power's suddenly gone - except it hasn't!

It can be running a program and often if I'm trying to do a lot of CD reading it can happen but that might just be a red herring.

I've tried it with a different graphics card and with a different CD drive but the problem persists. I've upgraded from Win98 to WinME and still the problem is there.

I *think* in tghe past I tried a differnet power supply and different memory but I can't be too sure about that. I've still those tests to do again but what can cause this machine to suddenly switch itself off?

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Have you done a virus scan?

Do you get any error or warning message prior to shutdown?

Does it shutdown at regular timed intervals, i.e every 10 mins,every 15 mins.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Overheating? Check the fans. Memory? Do a mem test.

From a post by Big Booger:

Sorry I should have gave you a link for a memory tester:

Gold Memory Tester 5.07

I use that one. You'll need a floppy disk. Run the install.bat, it'll ask you to insert a floppy. Let it run, install on the floppy. Then leave the floppy in the drive and reboot.

That is a 30 day trial copy. should be more than enough time for you to try it out.

Any more help about anything let us know. Glad to have you as a member of Techzonez.

http://techzonez.com/forums/showthre...=memory+tester
    Last edited by Thor; August 24th, 2003 at 15:38 PM.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Originally posted by Reverend
    Have you done a virus scan?

Do you get any error or warning message prior to shutdown?

Does it shutdown at regular timed intervals, i.e every 10 mins,every 15 mins.
    it did sound a little suspicious, but I think he's running 98 or ME or something like that.

@ken: can u put your comp specs down

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    don't forget to check and clean your power button.

i did a job once where the computer would turn off without warning only sometimes

it turned out to be the power switch was getting stuck and shutting of the power
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Bronze Member
    OK, here's some more info...

The machine is about 9 months old and has the following spec...

Motherboard: Jetway VT8366-8233
    CPU: AMD Duron 1.30GHz
    BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG
    Chipset: VIA VT8366/A,VT8367 Apollo KT266/A,KT333 CPU to PCI Bridge
    FSB: 2x 100MHz (200MHz data rate)
    Memory: 128MB 8x(16Mx8) SDRAM PC133
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
    Audio: Onboard VIA8233 Audio Controller
    Drives: Generic floppy
    8Gb generic IDE disk, 7Gb free space
    LG x52 CD-ROM

I've been monitoring the temperature (with BCM Diag) for an hour now and it started at 32C but now seems to have stabilised at 34C. The CPU fan is running smoothly and looks OK and the CPU heatsink is no more than warm.

The graphics card heatsink, on the other hand, is too hot to keep my hand on.

There are certainly no viruses involved. It's a clean build of Windows ME, having first formatted the disk and anyway, it has never been connected to the internet or a LAN and its owner doesn't even know what a floppy disk is!

It was at one time running Windows 98 and it showed the same problem of shutting down. There is no warning, no error message and no predictability. It's simply as if the power was disconnected.

Its owner uses it exclusively for playing games; the like of Novalogic's Delta Force Task Force Dagger and Microsoft Flight Simulator and in fact the Delta Force games are the subject of another problem I'm trying to resolve... when I start any of them up and they get to the 'about to play' stage, they give a page fault. This behaviour goes away when I swap the graphics card for an older ATI Rage and I'm currently hoping that their technical support department can throw some light on this (and yes, the GeForce2 drivers are bang up to date. It may be that older drivers may work better!).

The CD drive is also a cause of doubt. It seems to work properly and reliably. For example, as a test, I've just tried installing MS Flight Sim. and part way through the 3rd CD it did a lot of searching sounds and since then has refused to load any more and the machine has frozen. Does anyone know of a CD drive tester?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    This may sound stupid, but check the power button itself. Some are faulty and can cause this behavior.

You might have to replace it with a new one, or get a new case.
    :P

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Originally posted by Big Booger
    This may sound stupid, but check the power button itself.
    posted by egghead earlier: "don't forget to check and clean your power button".

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    opps..

But he never said he checked it.

from the sounds of this, problems with video card, power shutting down, CDROM issues, sounds like you could have a bad Motherboard.. with that many issues in one system that'd be my assumption.

Try a replacement motherboard and/or a new video card.

Bronze Member
    All day today it has been behaving itself after I replaced the EIDE cable to the CD drive. Of course that could just be coincidence and random chance!

I'm not really in a position to try a different mobo - I've not got another So.A type at the moment (I think that's what the Duron needs).

Always, though, the CD drive has been the focus of problems. Trying to get this flight sim. going causes problems on the third CD but since they're in the same place, it is more likely to be a duff CD... although they do come out pretty hot... is that normal???

Bronze Member
    ...and on the power button issue, I'm not sure exactly what I can check!

It could run for a few hours before switching off so it's not going to show up easily. Also, AIUI, it is necessary to keep the contact closed for several seconds beofre it would shut down.

I could understand this if it was closing down shortly after starting up but it is very erratic and as I said in my previous post, didn't shut down at all today!

Please keep all ideas coming. This is a strange problem and a rather herd one to track down!