Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Missing Display Properties Dialog Box!

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaStar
    Glad you got that sorted.

Doesn't lynchknot use Windows Blinds? And if so, hasn't it caused him problems? Lynch?

I use Window Blinds as well sometimes and have not had a problem.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Aikele
    I've reinstalled XP, it was a clean install. Still doesn't work. Please give me all the suggestions you can. Thanks, in advance for all the help~!
    Did you just reinstall XP over the top of your previous installation,or did you perform a reformat and do a totally clean install?

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Smile Run a DLL as an APP

Reverend, thanks for the reply. It was a clean install. Reformat and all. I was a Del technician for 6 months, so don't be afraid to go in to detail about things I need to try. I'm still waiting to get i-net access to my comp. That will be probably tomorrow. After then I can get all of the window's updates needed. So yes, it was a clean install. Keep me posted on things to try.

Thanks,

Also, how can I tell or find out if I have window's blinds installed on the comp?

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Have you installed any other applications on the machine,or is it totally clean with just XP on it?

Have you tried any of the previous solutions posted by me in this thread (post numbers 2,4,5 & 7)

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

I've restored a backup I had of my hdd. I started noticing this after I installed the programs for my dig. camera, and Web Cam. When I restored my backup, I told it to exclude the folders for my dig. cam. and web. cam. I have even tried installing and uninstalling the software. I'll try once more just to be certain. Yes I've tried all the previous steps.

All I know is that I'm sick of this problem! I'm tempted to call Microsoft, however, from the sounds of it, they know nothing of it. I've even ran Adaware, and that found a few things, however problem still persists.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Can you pls put up the specs for you computer. What brand Video Card is installed? I know Ati cards require a control panel install, this may have corrupted the display settings.

Have you tried accessing the dialog box via the control panel instead of right clicking the desktop?

Also, let me understand, you did a reformat then clean install of XP, then how did you restore a backup of your HD? what was in the backup, only documents or full install programs?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Smile DLL Error

K, I am running an AMD 1.3 GHZ w/ 1GB of RAM. 80 GB Primary HDD and 120 Gb backup hdd. Video Card - Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 w/ 128 RAM. So there's the specs, if you want more let me know.
    The way I restored my backup is I backed up to my backup drive. I also have software on the comp. for my Fuji Dig. Cam., and also for my Veo Web Cam. I've removed programs for both and am still getting the error. The backup does contain full programs. I think what I"m going to try next is doing another format, and restoring mainly just my documents and music files, (two crutial folders/files I do not want to loose!) Also, I have tried going to display properties from Control panel, the minute I get to Dekstop, and go to click on view for my background, I get the error to pop up. Same as if I right click
    The dig cam and web cam are recently installed. Got them for christmas. That's about the time I started noticing this problem. I however am also now having the problem where I stick my CD in the drive for my Vid. card, and is says that there's no hardware installed and to install the hardware first.
    Let me know what you think. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by J_Aikele; February 5th, 2004 at 23:46 PM.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    whats the model of your motherboard?
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Smile DLL Error

Thanks so much for all the help and support! I appreciate it! The model of my board is Abit. I've tried contacting them about the video card issue, however I still have heard nothing from them. Please keep the suggestions and tips rolling! Once again, thanks a bunch!

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Hmm... which abit board is it, do you know which chipsets?? Since it is for AMD, does the motherboard have VIA chipsets for north/south bridges? If yes, after the XP install, did you install the motherboard drivers as well as the VIA4in1 package or hyperion drivers?

It may be an old thread but look at HERE

Hope things work out.
    Last edited by cash_site; February 9th, 2004 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Updated info

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Titanium Member
    I have never ran windowblinds. I have had problems with display drivers recently. I have since gone back to standard ATI drivers. When I ran repair I just let windows decide which drivers to install this time - except for the usb 2.0 drivers which windows update did not have (installed from disk)
    Last edited by lynchknot; February 9th, 2004 at 05:29 AM.

Last edited by terragen; June 5th, 2004 at 15:53 PM. Reason: on reflection, not relevant to this thread!

Same here

Quote Originally Posted by J_Aikele
    I'm having the same problem here! I do not think I have windows blinds installed, however, how can I check. I've reinstalled XP, it was a clean install. Still doesn't work. Please give me all the suggestions you can. Thanks, in advance for all the help~!
    I am having exactly the same problem.

I built a PC for my mother in law, and it seemed fine, and she took it home. Then she got a virus and reinstalled Windows XP home SP1. Now she can't access Display properties at all. I got her to uninstall the video card and install with the drives from NVIDIA, no improvement. Her card is also a geforce FX5200. She's going to call a "technician" to get some advice, but this just seems silly. I'm on the hunt for a solution.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Did she perform a "clean" install?