Thread: Microsoft - 3 Steps to Protecting your PC

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Microsoft - 3 Steps to Protecting your PC

http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/default.asp

August 21, 2003

Did you know that using and upgrading certain software packages can help improve the security of your PC? Here are three steps you can take today to begin improving the security of your computer. You can also view three helpful videos that show you more about these steps. We recommend printing this page to refer to as you go through the steps below.

Interesting information available from Microsoft, to generally secure your PC.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    boogs that should be every techs 3 golden rules.

In theory, these are truely "golden rules". There is one problem. Every so often, MS releases an update that hammers your computer. They have to release an update to the update.

I don't use the automatic update option for two reasons. The first is that I want to get feedback that it doesn't cause damage and the second is that it is foolish to install an update for a service or component that I don't use. For instance, I don't use Outlook, Outlook express, or the .NET service. Therefore, there is no need to install them.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Originally posted by efc
    In theory, these are truely "golden rules". There is one problem. Every so often, MS releases an update that hammers your computer. They have to release an update to the update.

I don't use the automatic update option for two reasons. The first is that I want to get feedback that it doesn't cause damage and the second is that it is foolish to install an update for a service or component that I don't use. For instance, I don't use Outlook, Outlook express, or the .NET service. Therefore, there is no need to install them.
    I agree, i think that was another reason why the RPC flaw affected more people, a couple of months before that update there was another update that savagely affected XP's performance, and M$ released a 'fixed' version. So people were a little sceptical with updates and wanted feedback, problem with RPC flaw, was Blaster came before the feedback

Its still a hard decision and good debate on whether automatic updates is good.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Skeptical is right!!!! M$ is probably running about 80/20. Not good odds when that 20 will mess everything up! IMO they are trying to rush patches/fixes to forestall the negative attitude against the in-secure OS. Too much adverse notoriety made M$ rush things too much. On the other hand.............if it weren't for the public disclosure of the flaws/security issues then M# would not be as quick to rush out any fix...half-a$$ed or not!.

As a matter of fact they have (in the past) been reluctant to even acknowledge such security breeches in any of their products!

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    I'm with you guys on this one. Personally...I have auto updates off but I regularly check for updates via Windows Update or online forums such as Techzonez (visit www.techzonez.com for more info )

It would be nice if M$ pulled out their fingers and got it together. It concerns me that XP is so flawed and that these flaws are still coming out years after its release.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I set the autoupdate to download the files automatically, and then I check the details to see what is involved. Usually by the time I update, if there is a problem with the update, it gets out on the tech news scene and I can make the decision from there.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    same here boogs thats what I do. download and install later.