Thread: My MSI Motherboard Died When I Updated The BIOS!

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar

My MSI Motherboard Died When I Updated The BIOS!

Well, the reason for my disappearance yesterday was because I updated my BIOS with the latest one available. I created a floppywith the BIOS files on it then rebooted. After 4 beeps (which meant it was finished) I had no video signal and no boot!

It seems that I'm not the only one that experienced this. Other users on the MSI forum experienced the same thing! I brought my motherboard to the store where I bought it from and they will forward it to MSI. Should I blame MSI since other users experienced the same thing? Is it lousy BIOS engineering?

Being that I can't cope with not having a PC, I bought a new motherboard yesterday and spent a whole lot of time settting it up. It's the same 865 chipset, Asus P4P800 Deluxe. I'm flat out broke now, but I'm amazed at the features of this board. However it doesn't like my TwinMOS RAM as much as the MSI. My memory scores are not as high or I'm just not used to the BIOS yet. I will have a look at the MSI forums later and see if I will make a recommendation to never buy from MSI again!

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    *GASP* Thats a bit rough...

If you downloaded the BIOS update from MSI AND you flashed it correctly (is it a DOS or Windows based flash util?) then it is clearly the fault of MSI...unless they had a "Use this at your own risk, this is a dodgey beta version" warning next to the d/l link.

Glad to see you bought an ASUS...I've been a happy customer for years. ASUS use a windows-based BIOS flash utility.

Originally posted by SupaStar
    *GASP* Thats a bit rough...

If you downloaded the BIOS update from MSI AND you flashed it correctly (is it a DOS or Windows based flash util?) then it is clearly the fault of MSI...unless they had a "Use this at your own risk, this is a dodgey beta version" warning next to the d/l link.

Glad to see you bought an ASUS...I've been a happy customer for years. ASUS use a windows-based BIOS flash utility.
    I had the choice of using a Windows-based utility but I had already been successful once with the floppy, and MSI actually pulled the Windows utility the last time because it killed off some boards!

I've used the Windows-based one (ASUS Update) on several boards over several years and so far, (touch wood) no problems!

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Hey maybe you and phish can go have a beer cuz thats why he hasn't been around much.....hey can I have your old board ? oh and we can trade ram , Twinmos luvs NF2 & Crucial luvs P4

You can hot flash you dead bios in the ASUS board if the chips are the same.

Good luck with the ASUS, if you flash bios then use the old (not beta) ASUS updater and do it in Windows. Worked great on bunch of boards I've fixed

Originally posted by FastGame
    Hey maybe you and phish can go have a beer cuz thats why he hasn't been around much.....hey can I have your old board ? oh and we can trade ram , Twinmos luvs NF2 & Crucial luvs P4

You can hot flash you dead bios in the ASUS board if the chips are the same.

Good luck with the ASUS, if you flash bios then use the old (not beta) ASUS updater and do it in Windows. Worked great on bunch of boards I've fixed
    Let's see what MSI does with my motherboard. I don't have any spare RAM to use if I send you the twinmos. Damn broke after all these PC expenses! I'm gonna have a new job starting October and I might actually go the US this September for this new business. I might go to LA, Florida and NY.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    my bios is in the mail to FASTGAME BIOS REFLASHER shop. No one here that I know have the same bios so I mailed it off to good Ol' FG to hotflash. hey and conan if you go to LA maybe we can meet Zero in Encinitas and hang out at the beach and pull back some San Miguels

Originally posted by phishhead
    my bios is in the mail to FASTGAME BIOS REFLASHER shop. No one here that I know have the same bios so I mailed it off to good Ol' FG to hotflash. hey and conan if you go to LA maybe we can meet Zero in Encinitas and hang out at the beach and pull back some San Miguels
    If ever I do go to LA, I might be in the Torrance area, how far is that from San Diego?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Originally posted by Conan
    If ever I do go to LA, I might be in the Torrance area, how far is that from San Diego?
    Thats over by Long Beach which is quite a ways from San Diego, shouldn't take long in your turbo car if you can dodge the cops & traffic...

I just received a brand new replacement motherboard. I might install it tomorrow to make sure everything works.

Originally posted by Conan
    I just received a brand new replacement motherboard. I might install it tomorrow to make sure everything works.
    Same BIOS revison? What you gonna do with the old one? Sell it to make some cash?

Originally posted by SupaStar
    Same BIOS revison? What you gonna do with the old one? Sell it to make some cash?
    Not sure what BIOS is on there. The new BIOS that I was trying to flash to is crap I hear, from the MSI forum. I might keep 2 motherboards as ASUS 865 boards have their own problems as well from BIOS flashing, but their forum is filled with long time ASUS experts who manage to overcome the worst of hardware problems!

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    gee thats not good to hear of the fried BIOS, they should do something about that...

and so it seems, did MSI send u the new board?

... lucky for forums... just to be asured that you're not the only ones with these problems. Hope it works out.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I'm using the new MSI board now to test it out. Upgraded to BIOS 1.4 successfully thru Windows Flash Utility.

Originally posted by cash_site
    gee thats not good to hear of the fried BIOS, they should do something about that...

and so it seems, did MSI send u the new board?

MSI sent it to the store where I originally bought my motherboard. While it's slightly faster than my Asus board it's because MSI overclocks this board when it's suppossed to be at default speeds!

MSI = 202.8 FSB
    Asus = 200.5 FSB

By the way, I used my Asus configured Windows XP and ran a repair since I'm kinda tired of reformatting so much these past few days. Worked like a charm!
    Last edited by Conan; September 2nd, 2003 at 05:25 AM.

I've had similar luck with the repair feature of XP. However I dumped an existing hard disk into a totally different PC..and by totally different I mean, one was VIA KT266, on was Intel 815...hehe

I don't reccommend this..but it worked