Thread: XP Home reinstall

XP Home reinstall

I burned up my cpu, motherboard and floppy. Rather then replacing at high price for
    parts and labor, I would just like to upgrade with a barebones system retaining all my
    periphials. Will Microsoft allow me to reinstall or copy from original hard drive to new
    system? I use drive image. My XP is a CD upgrade from ME.
    Robert N Hardesty

You'll probably have to do a reinstall and new activation. The major (mb&cpu) change in system parts will probably not let it run from an image of a different system.

Anyone?

You may get lucky. I would put the drive in the new system and try to boot. I have moved a hard drive from one computer to another. During the boot I had to install a couple drivers, but had no other problems.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

With XP?

Wish I was a hardware man. I have already spent more money on service than a new system costs, and mostly my own fault. Plus I'm due an upgrade and just trying to avoid rebuying XP.
    Robert N Hardesty

You shouldn't have to re-buy it! You're not supposed to use it in two different systems without paying for it but if you want to upgrade to a newer system then go ahead. Your upgrade disc should work but have you ME disc handy.

I don't have ME disk, it came installed on system. I do have product key. Will that work?
    Robert N Hardesty

It should. I'm not sure about XP upgrade but it did use to be that way. All Windows needs to know is that you have a full license for it (the key).

Try what efc said first.if it works then no problemo.

Originally posted by Thor
    With XP?
    Now Thor, be gentle. You have to keep in mind that at my age, short term memory is sometimes questionable. I do believe that it was XP however it could have been during 98SE days.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

I know that XP will be somewhat forgiving in hardware changes but I haven't heard about a totally new mb+cpu.. I would imagine if they were similar then ok but..................

If it were me I would try the old hdd first too. What have you got to lose except for a little time.

SE days...........seems like forever now......

Just thought, I am up now with small replacement proccessor on old MB. Could I network new system into this XP installation and just move periphials to barebones? Then I could just move software onto new hard drive. Thnk?
    Robert N Hardesty

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    You should be able to use your old HD & XP without re-activation as long as the mother board in the new system uses the same IDE drivers as the old one..you know like VIA/Intel/Nvidia.....
    Originally posted by efc
    You may get lucky. I would put the drive in the new system and try to boot. I have moved a hard drive from one computer to another. During the boot I had to install a couple drivers, but had no other problems.
    I think (agree with efc) you should try this first, I've moved a HD from a AMD system to a INTEL system and the dam XP booted up, redetected the hardware and installed the drivers... I had to re-activate the XP but it worked fine also tried it from VIA to Nvidia and it didn't work but an XP repair took care of that.

If you change the HD then you may need to re-activate XP but you shouldn't need to reinstall XP. If you need to reinstall then the XP OS thats already on the HD is good enough (qualifier) for you to use the XP upgrade CD so you don't need a 98/ME/2000 CD.

If you need to reinstall on a clean HD then you'll need a 98/ME/2000 CD to verify that your qualified for the upgrade. I don't think you can just use a key.

I have XP upgrade cd, but only have ME key code from pre-install.
    Robert N Hardesty

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I normally wouldn't recommend this, but in your case, seems like you are getting the shaft from an OEM vendor who thought it prudent to give you a restore CD rather than the full install CD that you most likely paid for:

Ask around to a friend, relative or neighbor for a Windows 98, ME, or 2k CD that you can borrow just to get your XP upgrade installed. Once you have it installed you can give the CD back. It only checks the CD for authenticity and then you don't need it anymore.

That is what I would do in this situation, if possible.

If that is impossible, you could sell the XP upgrade, and purchase the full OS. Or you could go out and pick up a second hand windows 98 CD for around 30-50 dollars US.