Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unaccessible drives

unaccessible drives

Hi all! Just back from vacation. Nice to see you all.
    My girlfriend called and told me she can't access any drives. Drives are listed in the device mgr and say everything is working properly. She has an ibm, running 98- the cdrom is lg crd 8400b.
    I'm going over later, can you point out some things I might look for? Maybe just uninstall the driver and reboot? Any ideas? I'm going to check if it works in safe mode, but if it does or doesn't I'm not sure what that means either.
    Thanks guys!

Hi Misskb1,

You say she can't acces any drives and lists the cd-rom. Is it just the cd-rom or all the drives she can't access? Can she boot up and then not be able to open the c drive or My Computer?

You mention removing a driver but...................just fishing right now.

BTW, Welcome back.

If she has internet access take your TZ password with you and get on from there.
    Last edited by Thor; August 30th, 2003 at 18:58 PM.

Hi, thanks.
    She says the floppy won't read and the cdrom won't either. The device mgr says they are working. She can access "c" drive and all programs are working. She says nothing shows on the floppy and she gets the message " d not accessible". Does that help? I thought maybe uninstalling the driver and rebooting, but I'd like a second opinion

Might want to check connections. Not knowing how they're connected so it's a guess but it may be that something came loose.

Any led's show up when inserting media?

Actually..........can a cd be inserted?
    Last edited by Thor; August 30th, 2003 at 19:10 PM.

I don't know about that, she wasn't right at her computer when I asked, but yes, it will accept a cd. How do I go about checking the connections?

You'll have to open the box. Shut the computer down, open it up and reseat the cables between the hdd and the peripherals. Ground yourself by touching the psu.

You could do a remove and reboot for the cd-rom driver first. Have your install or windows cd handy in case. The floppy drive could be anything. Sometimes just keep pushing the floppy in and out cures it. Hehe.

On the cd-rom it may be a bad piece of media being used. Has she tried other cd's?

She said she tried others, I'm not sure what she has tried though. I think I read that same solution to LK, before, haha, will try. As for "having cd ready" I don't believe she has one. Won't it automatically detect? I was going to remove: cdrom, disk drives, floppy disk controllers, and hard disk controllers, and reboot. Should I do this? Thanks for all your help.

After checking the connections, I would want to boot using a DOS boot disk that contains a CDROM driver.

Once you acquire an A:\ do the following:

1. Type c: then hit Enter
    2. At C:\ Type Dir and hit Enter
    This will show files in root directory and will provide visability to the next layer of directories (folders).
    3. Next with a CD in CD-ROM drive type d: and hit enter
    type Dir and Enter again to view files. Pay attention to the size of this disk. My DOS boot disk creates a virtual drive of just over one MB and copies the files from the floppy into it. This is done for faster operation.
    If the d: drive is hundreds of MB then you are through with this operation. If it is the virtual disk you have to go an additional step.
    4. Nest type e: and Enter. Type Dir and hit Enter to view files and folders on the CD.

If you can read files on CD then the problem is most likely a CDROM driver issue. Try to reinstall it.

If you can't read the files or get a message that the disk is not present, then double check the connections. If you still cannot read the drive, the problem is the drive or the ide controller. You can substitute a friends CDROM Drive to check for faulty drive. If that is the problem, they are very inexpensive now. I ran across one yesterday that is $5 after rebate.

Misskellibad1 - I wrote the instructions for the novice. Not meant to be insulting, thought that was what your friend needed.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Originally posted by misskellibad1
    I was going to remove: cdrom, disk drives, floppy disk controllers, and hard disk controllers, and reboot. Should I do this? Thanks for all your help.
    Just remove the drives and IDE controllers for the floppy and CD-Rom.Then reboot.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

thanks everyone for the suggestions
    @efc, no offence taken, when it comes to hardware I am a beginner..... that's why I come here, for the expert advice
    If I can't get it fixed, you'll be hearing from me again!

My earlier solution won't work without a working floppy.

I've also had a computer loose visability of the floppy in the CMOS. I had to designate Drive A as 1.44MB Floppy.

There is going to be a lot of trial and error for this one.

I wondered.... also, I asked her about having tweak ui, and she said no, I thought that was standard in 98?

tweak ui is an unsupported add on created by the MS team.

Edit: I think it's on the 98 cd but you have to install it seperately.

Darned if I can remember how.
    Last edited by Thor; August 30th, 2003 at 20:02 PM.

TweakUI

Found out again.

On the Win98 cd navigate to Tools\Reskit\Powertoys folder. Right click on Tweakui.inf file and then choose to install from the pop-up menu.

That should put TweakUI in the Control Panel.

It is not on the 98SE cd or the ME cd.

TweakUI download and instructions is here -

http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstati.../NTTweakUI.asp