Thread: Faster Boot and Shutdown

Faster Boot and Shutdown

Recently my computer has been taking far too much time to boot or shutdown. A couple google searches provided easy solutions which I will provide here.

These are registry edits so understand that a mistake here can disable your computer. Also it is a good idea to back up the registry before you start.

BOOT:

Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters

On the EnablePrefetcher value, change the setting from 3 to 5 (decimal).

SHUTDOWN:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control

Select "WaitToKillServiceTimeout"
    Right click on it and select Modify.
    Set it a value lower than 2000 (Suggest 200 or 500)
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Just a word of warning regarding fast shutdowns.
    If your system shuts down too fast there is a danger that your cache will not have time to be written back to the HDD,which can ultimately lead to lost and unrecoverable data.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Thanks for the info from both efc and Reverend.My kill service was set at 10000 default.I set it to 2000 and will shut down later to check the results.Startup was set at 3 which I think I did a while back.My machine does start quickly but takes a long time shutting down so a safe and faster shutdown is welcome.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    If you've got SP1 installed for XP there is no need for the Prefetcher tweak. By the way the value should be 3.

Originally posted by Conan
    If you've got SP1 installed for XP there is no need for the Prefetcher tweak. By the way the value should be 3.
    I do have Sp1 installed.Do you mean that the 10000 default value should not be changed?
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Originally posted by zipp51
    I do have Sp1 installed.Do you mean that the 10000 default value should not be changed?
    10000? Mine has always been 3 after a clean install. Is your SP1 slipstreamed into the XP cd?

Originally posted by Conan
    10000? Mine has always been 3 after a clean install. Is your SP1 slipstreamed into the XP cd?

Sorry I got mixed up with the kill time Conan.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    The default WaitToKillServiceTimeout value is 20000.

BTW, 20000 = 20 seconds
    Last edited by Reverend; August 31st, 2003 at 00:09 AM.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

It is a miracle!

Some of you may remember that I have been having trouble with my Direcway satellite internet. The biggest problem has been my ability to obtain a connection and then to keep it. This has been a problem for 2 1/2 to 3 months. Direcway even changed out some of the equipment. I have spent hours on the phone with tech support. That became a greater nightmare over the last two weeks due to Blaster and SoBig worm. The volume of calls to tech support increased to the point that the wait time was an hour or more. If I could get my hands on that little fat boy that started those problems, he would sing soprano permanently.

YESTERDAY, I made the changes at the beginning of this thread. This not only improved the boot and shutdown time, it has cured the Direcway connect problem. The logic escapes me, but I am happy with the results.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition