Thread: Sound controls on my computer

Sound controls on my computer

I have XP with the standard Windows sound controls...MP3, Microphone, CD Audio etc. Can someone tell me a little about a couple of them?

1. If I click on the systray speaker icon, up come the 'Play Control' window. If I look at the control called 'microphone' I see that below the slider there is a checkbox marked 'mute' This is checked. What does it do--why would you want check it andl why might you uncheck it?

2. Now below the 'mute' checkbox there is a button called 'advanced'. If I click it I get a bass and a treble slider. On that window below the sliders there is another checkbox marked "1 mic + 20dB boost." (I discovered that if this is checked, both my Eudora PureVoice recorder and Windows' Sound Recorder work beautifully but if it is unchecked, PureVoice continues to record well, but Sound Recorder does not record o doesn't play back.

What is this all about--why does it even exist? And what does the '1 mic' mean--do you ever have 2?

wumply
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar

Re: Sound controls on my computer

Originally posted by wumply
    1. If I click on the systray speaker icon, up come the 'Play Control' window. If I look at the control called 'microphone' I see that below the slider there is a checkbox marked 'mute' This is checked. What does it do--why would you want check it andl why might you uncheck it?
    I'll take this question

When mute is unchecked, you can hear whatever is going into the MIC through your speakers. Even if you are just sitting in Windows.

So the reverse applies when it is checked. You can't hear yourself through the speakers. This also prevents feedback if your MIC is too close to the speakers.

Strange...

I don't seem to have my microphone as one of the controls in my "play" volume control...how do I get it there so I can mute/unmute my microphone???

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    If you d-click on the systray volume icon, then click options, then properties. From there click on "recording" instead of playback. Now to enable the mic control put a check in the box in front of microphone.