Thread: RIAA Amnesty for file sharers

RIAA Amnesty for file sharers

Friday September 5, 08:30 AM

Music Biz to Give File Sharers Amnesty

The Recording Industry Assn. of America plans to announce an amnesty program this week that will let individual online copyright infringers off the hook if they change their ways, sources say.

The amnesty program would apply only to alleged infringers who have not been sued by the music industry trade group or identified by Internet service providers as a result of the trade group's subpoena process. Alleged commercial pirates will not receive amnesty.

According to sources, the RIAA will not pursue legal action if infringers delete all unauthorized music files from their computers, destroy all copies (including CD-Rs) and promise not to upload such material in the future. Each infringing household member will have to send a completed, notarized amnesty form to the RIAA, with a copy of a photo ID. Those who renege on their promise will be subject to charges of willful copyright infringement.

The amnesty program will be revealed at about the same time the RIAA is expected to announce the filing of "several hundred" infringement suits.

The RIAA had no comment.

Source is Yahoo News
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Sure, tell 'em who you are including a picture!

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Better get that photo ID ready Thor. I've got mine handy and I'm gonna send it to RIAA right now!

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    The best way to hurt the RIAA would be to stop buying CDs that they produce. Purchase CDs from independent musicians and screw the Recording Industry right where it hurts.

I personally will never buy another CD even as a gift. From now on I will copy them from online streams or the radio and burn the songs to CD, whereby the RIAA will be screwed. AFAIK there is no law against copying music from the Radio and putting it on CDs, though I could be wrong.

Originally posted by Big Booger
    AFAIK there is no law against copying music from the Radio and putting it on CDs, though I could be wrong.
    So long as it's for personal use I would imagine

The best way to hurt the RIAA would be to stop buying CDs that they produce. Purchase CDs from independent musicians and screw the Recording Industry right where it hurts.

I personally will never buy another CD even as a gift. From now on I will copy them from online streams or the radio and burn the songs to CD, whereby the RIAA will be screwed. AFAIK there is no law against copying music from the Radio and putting it on CDs, though I could be wrong.
    Boogs! Do I detect a little animosity there? Tsk, tsk.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    From now on I will copy them from online streams or the radio and burn the songs to CD, whereby the RIAA will be screwed. AFAIK there is no law against copying music from the Radio and putting it on CDs, though I could be wrong.
    I remember there were complaints about this method before the Internet downloads became the issue!

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I don't even give a rats ass about the music that is released these days. There are maybe a handful of bands that I like. Most of them are not that popular, like The White Stripes or Nora Jones. I am not into that Averil Lavine (SP?), Tatu, NSYNC, Britney Spears, even Madonna, who used to have some decent pop music, is playing crap..

I wouldn't even waste a CD on that crap. And some of the rap music and hip hop is just as bad. Run DMC was a rap group, P-Dilly or Puff Daddy or whatever he is called is not...

That Bad Boys II song sucks.. I don't even know the name of it, but I have seen it on MTV a few times, and the whole time, I am thinking.. gee doesn't this appeal to every teenage consumer in the world, gold flashing, name brand shirts, sports cars etc...

Music has become the next advertisement media. They want to hook kids in on their brands and what better way to do it than with the music these kids love. Ever wonder why your kid wants to buy those 100 dollar polo shirts? Ask P-Duffy.. or whatever his name is... they are selling their goods, and the RIAA is exploiting them for whatever it is worth.

The lyrics suck, the music and rhythm is all synthesized.. it is not music, it's a computer generated experience. Hell even their voices are fixed with computers to sound better...

Whatever happend to the good ol' days.. I think when you edit a sound to make it "sound better" you have actually stripped it of whatever character it had. And when your band relies more on the computer than on the instruments, you're no longer a performed, you are a recording.. that has been polished artificially.

YUCK!

Down with the RIAA, MPAA, BSA and the whole lot of them!

Sorry to rant, but that is how I feel. I bought into that MTV culture as a kid, as I was stupid. I didn't have the concept of being used by mass media and influenced by POP culture... what 15 year old kid does?

Titanium Member
    The last thing I would want to do is admit guilt. And they want an ID? LOL! They would have my "number" for the rest of my life! Screw that, put my on the docket for the year 3000.
    Last edited by lynchknot; September 5th, 2003 at 07:08 AM.

Perhaps they've realized what they're doing is a losing proposition. People are still downloading and will continue to do so regardless of their threats and posturing.

This 'campaign' they've been on is probably starting to cost them some big bucks.

Originally posted by Thor
    Perhaps they've realized what they're doing is a losing proposition. People are still downloading and will continue to do so regardless of their threats and posturing.

This 'campaign' they've been on is probably starting to cost them some big bucks.
    Those are exactly my sentimonies

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    This 'campaign' they've been on is probably starting to cost them some big bucks
    Absolutely....

Think about it...Filing severl "hundred" subpeonas, lawyer fees, court costs. Then you have to settle and even then, most people don't have $10~$15K to drop on a settlement suit.

What they're doing now is the "Hey, I'm not so bad. Just sign off on your life and promise to be good and we'll get along bit." Just like the bullies in school who want something else.

Well, I say screw thier amnesty. File the suits and see how much more in the red they can go. And then blame the music downloads as the problem because they need to spend millions in court fee's.