Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Join RIAA Boycott

From ARS Technica, a report of a New Mexico federal judge rejecting a RIAA John Doe lawsuits associated with the University of New Mexico's network. This will make it much harder for RIAA lawyers to obtain identifying information. More
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

This appeared on Slashdot this morning. It is wonderful news. German prosecutors will not assist RIAA in clogging up the courts with criminal cases for minor file sharing. Sanity at last. http://recordingindustryvspeople.blogspot.com/

Looks like there are more problems at the RIAA. A writer interpreted this report as a funds shortage at the RIAA. It is also possible that they are testing this judge. Don't see how they can do anything except continue to make the world angry with them.

Of course, I have no problem with lawyers not getting paid.

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?s...27231&from=rss

Truely a red letter day. A federal magistrate judge awarded Tayna Anderson attorney fees for her previous win in a suit brought by the RIAA. Take a moment and celebrate.

more

DrudgeReport.com reports that album sales are down 14% from a year ago. I am sure that the the industry blames that on music downloads. Although that can be a significant reason for the decline, it could also be the result of people like me that don't buy for two main reasons. The first is that I so object to this industry persecuting the young and weak with litigation, I have no sympathy with any bad news that comes to the industry. The second is the quality of today's music. Produce "GREAT" music and it will sell. Produce trash and you get paid what it is worth.

The long awaited Jammie Thomas Kazaa file-sharing case is expected to go to jurors today. Six recording companies have accused her of sharing 1702 songs online in violation to companies' copyrights.

There were two days of testimony. There were eleven withesses testifying for the record companies. The defense rested without calling anyone to the stand. Closing arguments are scheduled to occur later today.

Ms. Thomas contends that she did not download the songs in question. She further testified that she never had Kazaa installed on her computer. The oposition had testimony that copyrighted mater was found on a kazaa account that was later tied to Ms Thomas.

more

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    I agree with you EFC. My music is quite old, and I used to get CDs quite often, but it has been a couple of years since I bought a CD, and even the CDs that I bough were from Japan (Utada Hikaru)

It was a bad day for Ms. Thomas. The jury awarded 6 record companies $222,000. The verdict was for downloading 24 songs. That is a whopping $9250 per song.

I don't condone downloading of copyrighted music. If Ms. Thomas did actually download the music in question, she was wrong. Now the issue is the amount of this award. It is absurd. Only in the U.S. legal system could 24 songs be equated with this much money.

Sad news for us common folk

RIAA to die in 2008?

One could only wish.

http://www.winextra.com/2007/12/29/i...s-death-knell/

Yes another item that gives you a warm feeling toward the RIAA. That is if you are a blood sucking lawyer. Now I am sure that not all lawyers are of the blood sucking variety. I do however believe that all of the RIAA barristers reside in the same slime pit as the organization itself.

http://techluver.com/2007/12/30/riaa...sed-cds-to-pc/

It has been a long time since I have posted to this thread. There have been a couple reasons. One is that other sites have done a better job of keeping up with the legal events and the other is that I began to believe that the RIAA could not be stopped.

There is finally reason for hope. Two file sharing cases have been under-reported. Both were big defeats for the RIAA. They are Atlantic V Anderson and Columbia vs Foster. In both cases the music industry lost and admitted they were at fault. In both cases legal fees were awarded.

More detail is available here.

Good News - I think

The RIAA has agreed to quit suing the helpless. It has now decided to deal directly with ISPs. More

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by efc View Post
    The RIAA has agreed to quit suing the helpless. It has now decided to deal directly with ISPs. More
    Already posted: Music Industry to Abandon Mass Suits

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

that is good news since people will get less uses, however, I think it will also increase the awareness of ISP and will be thought to download or use the Internet for other things as well