Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Join RIAA Boycott

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    It is a very big business as eggs says,and I for one think that a small minority(not the artists) are reaping too much profit off of one cd.Would you support the artist more if there was parity in the profit arena.In other words lower the damn price to around $5 to $7 for all new releases and the biggest buyers won't have to take the music via file sharing.
    While corporate moguls ask us for pay cuts in the working world the price of goods and services has not followed the same trend.And who buys those cd's for the 10 to 16 year olds,why the parents do of course.
    RIAA,do this for me................

BTW I'm in.
    Last edited by zipp51; September 11th, 2003 at 04:53 AM.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    You have very valid points egghead,
    but I ask you this:

What percentage of every CD sold is given to the artist?

What artist produced in the last year is worth a sh!t?

How long should an artist lay claim to a song after it has been used and no longer holds the value that it once did? For example a CD sold today, just like any other commodity (besides jewelry) will lose value over the course of ownership... shouldn't a song, also loose value over the course of 5 years, 10 years, 50 years etc... I paid for a Skid Row CD 10 years ago, 2 years ago I looked at the same CD, and it had actually increased in the price.. from 12 to like 16 dollars....

The same songs, same CD, same album art, etc...

As an artist you of all people should despise the RIAA... they are a corporate entity that steals from the artists to like their own fat pockets...

Downloaders are wrong. I am a downloader of music.. however, most of the music, I have at one time or another purchased (not all but most), and honestly, I don't download much of the crap that is produced today. It is garbage.. when I go to a concert, I'll usually buy a CD. Other than that, I never do.. nor will I ever.

Independent artists need to realize the power of the internet and P2P.. There should be a P2P that allows streaming of independent artists videos, music and so on... cut the RIAA and all the companies it represents out of the equation. They are the major barrier to good bands getting fame and fortune.

These companies sell out artists, back stab them, get them in unfair contracts, and say they are "promoting artists" and "helping" It is a farce.. the biggest load of sheit I have ever seen in my life.

I don't mind paying for a song that I like. The apple Itunes is a damn fine service and I think 99 cents per song is reasonable.. but then how much of that 99 cents goes to the artists who worked to make the music we love?

And then you think about these so called bands that were created just to make money: "NSUCK, Crapstreet Turds, *****ee Speared" etc...

They are not artists, they are reproductions of a band using a formula that sells... Most of their music is synthesized, and is not original works.. They are selected out of thousands of competitors.. like that O-Town band.... It makes me vomit... to think they are created rather than evolving from say a garage band to a kickazz super star rock band like G&R, Metallica, all the Motown singers etc....

You cut out these big time record producers and you put in independent labels, who actually care about musicians and offer them competitive contracts that get the money to who deserves it..

The RIAA and nearly every single company it represents cares about the bottom dollar..

Do you think they really give a rats ass about any artist they represent? Do you really?

I don't and I am sure there are thousands who agree the RIAA is garbage.

But to say this, if you think being an artist is about being a millionaire, you are mistaken. There are thousands of great artists out there that do it as a hobby, they play on the weekends at the local pubs and taverns entertaining hundreds with their covers and original works.. those are the true artists.

Sure it would be great to get paid majorly, but those chances are a dime a dozen especially considering that the companies that promote music, base whether or not you will make it big on a monetary formula.. A+B=C

Goodlooks + Great editing = Big Money

Where does the music, the talent, the desire to perform fit into that equation?

Rappers figured this out a long time ago.. they got into the game of rapping by using the big labels, once they made it big they made their own record companies, "Bad Boy Records" "Death Row" etc...

Just something to ponder.. I am not saying that downloading music is a good thing.. I don't think so. BUt I will say this, 16 bucks or even 12 is just too much for the crap that is released.. And if I love a band enough I will purchase a CD, or buy the songs online.

And who wants to pay for one song from an artist that you like.. if you only want one song, then you should be allowed or have the option to buy that one song, either online, or through a retail outlet....

Last thing for me,

I personally don't pay for music that often.. in fact I would seldom even listen to it, if I couldn't download it for free or hear it for free on the radio. I think the only time an artist should get paid is when they play live. A recording is just that, a recording. Yeah a lot of time and effort when into it, and they should be compensated, but in my opinion, the only time I think it worth paying to see, is a live performance on a stage. At the same time, they can sell their CD, directly. This would encourage more performers to tour.. hell some of them seldom tour because it is tough work... they'd rather make a CD, release it, and sit on their arse and wait for the money train to roll in...

Live is the key! It sounds better, I enjoy it more and I think I get my money's worth. With a CD, I listen to it a couple of times, and bam I am finished with it. A live performance will be in my memory forever...

I agree with ZIpp $5-7 is definitely more in my price range and I would certainly think twice about buying a CD from an artist that I like, than paying 12-16 dollars.

Hell for 5 bucks, if you get the lyrics album art, cd, and all, it is worth it. It takes time to compile a CD, get the names sorted, go through fake and trundicated songs, repeats etc.. I'd pay 5 bucks to have a CD that I know would play in every player, all the songs are perfect, etc...

12 bucks is BS... and the RIAA is over populated with recording companies.. some of them need to fail.. and others need to lower their expectations especially during an economic recession.. what better way to avoid putting blame on their business model, than pawning it off on the consumers who "ROB ARTISTS OF THEIR PAYCHECKS" by downloading music for free.... that is the biggest load of horse sheet that I have ever heard in my life.

Their business model is screwed, they produce garbage music, charge extremely high prices, artists don't tour enough, are too stupid or uneducated to even think of starting their own recording companies to cut the middleman out etc....

I hate the RIAA!
    Last edited by Big Booger; September 11th, 2003 at 04:53 AM.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    thanks Big Booger,

this is true in so many ways

the really big picture in this is the rights of every software engineer , artist, photographers and writers that are trying to make a living are finding the internet a huge roadblock.

I heard you can buy windows xp for $1 in asia.

why would you pay $1 when you can get it free on the internet?

anything that can be heard or seen with the ears and naked eye can be captured in digital format and distributed over the internet for free.

why would you pay for something you can get for free? Wouldn't you take something for free if you wouldn't need to leave the house to get it? This is the way of the future!

if it has to do with music, speech, writing, painting, acting, dancing, software, creative thought or anything you can hear or see; It must be free for everyone. If you release it to the public you surrender your rights to the product.

you must compete for handouts with the jugglers and clowns on the street. if you really have a fan they will send your homepage a funny email joke.

the new age is when performers do it after work. Producers release movies for the letters.

music is written for the moment in time when their thought had meaning.

riaa will create a private network away from this mess and I bet that most of us will still listen because we all need to follow.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Originally posted by egghead
    I heard you can buy windows xp for $1 in asia.

It's $ 2 where I'm from.

Yep,
    Spot on Egg.

Media in any shape or form, can be digitized and put on the internet. That is why I am a huge supporter of charging for content via the ISP, for access to any and everything. For example, if you want access to every media, whatever it maybe, you pay a fee to your ISP, and that small fee when multiplied by millions or in the case of China, billions goes to a third party organisation, preferably a non-profit, that then takes and splits the fee equally based on statistics of sales to each and every single artist. Yeah sure some will only get a half cent or less.. but multiply it by billions and you get the point. That way every artist is compensated, and every internet user can enjoy all that there is to enjoy.

I am sure everyone in their right mind would go for this, and if not, you don't have to have access to the internet.

And as well as free content you can have the typical e-stores for those that want the nice packaging, the manuals, the CD covers, etc...

Open source works much like this. Those that pay for it, get the extra stuff. But the fundamental goods are free. I have bought a mandrake Cd boxed for $23 because I wanted the manuals and tech support. It paid for itself a trillion times over.

And I have downloaded Mandrake, Red Hat, Suse, and the other day I nabbed Gentoo.

Freedom of information is the key to the internet. If you start banning, capping, and otherwise limiting the internet, it will fail. People will loose interest, and go back to the same old humdrum daily life. Free access, free information, and freedom are the only true way for the internet to be anything. It should be like a phone directory.. we get it for free, inside are some great deals, and there is access to lots and lots of stores and addresses (sites).

But I have seen artwork on the web and then went to see it in person while paying a nominal fee at a museum or gallery. The experience is 100% black and white. I'd much rather pay for the live experience.

Same with photography, music, television, movies etc...

Though one thing I don't get, is why in the hell television and movies are not an internet related media. Why can television and internet be combined. Like a global TV/Global Internet package all in one. The reason, cable companies will go broke, and ISPs will get rich.. While many cable companies are offering internet they also offer cable TV. If they do both, they get paid more.... by combining it they know they'd lose money..

It would be so convenient to be able to watch a pay per view TV show over the internet, than on a TV. I'd much rather be able to see any show in the world on internet, rather than have my parents tape the shows and send me them in the mail....

I hate the fact that technology is not being used to the fullest to provide the richest experience possible. I don't mind paying for things, in fact I do all the time. What I hate is getting ripped a new azz for things that are not worth what we pay for them.

Like Windows XP, $199 or $299 or whatever you paid for the professional version is too much. There is a reason Bill Gates is the richest man in the world. He is charging too much for the products that MS produce. You don't bankroll BILLIONS while charging a fair price for a good... you only make that much money off of charging too much for a product that costs less to produce than what you sell it for.

Everyone wants to make a profit, myself included. But when is enough, actually enough? You want to talk about pirates, head over to the Corporate Pirate meets like the WTO! Corporate pirates are robbing us blind of our hard earned money, and we are letting them. It is shameful.

Important view on this subject. I saw the gentleman that created boycott-riaa.com on Tech TV last night. He is a very agressive individual that is not intimidated easily.

http://www.boycott-riaa.com/why.php

http://www.boycott-riaa.com/facts/
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Great links. I hope this becomes a huge movement that stops these huge corporations from destroying freedom!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Every Music CDR since the AHRA was enacted has a hidden tax built into the price! (2% of the manufacturers sales) This is supposedly to pay the artists for home recording. Who Collects the Tax? The RIAA under the auspices of the AARC. Who shares office space with the RIAA and has many of the RIAA employees working for it. I haven't been able to find one artist that was paid a cent of the money. 4% is set aside for non-featured artists, of the remainder 40% for the featured artist and 60% for the labels. To date I have not found one artist who has received one cent of this money. (Source: RIAA website) In addition every CD recorder has a $2.00 surcharge built into the price that goes directly to the RIAA

The artists received not one cent of the money from the MP3.Com settlements of approx $158 Million to the labels. Who did??? The label themselves.

"SoundExchange" the new digital rights collective for collecting royalties from internet play is a division of the RIAA. They did not distribute royalties in July 2001 as they were supposed to do, but instead decided to wait until next year.

85% of all music is released by 5 major labels (Sony, EMI, UMG, Time Warner, & BMG)
    Federal Trade Commission (FTC Statement)

At any given point about 20% of the music every recorded is available legally. The rest is locked away by the labels depriving the creators of a potential source of income, the fans of the music they want, while creating a false market for the band "d'jour."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I say this, either stop taxing the CDR sales, or stop hounding users who download music.. this has got to stop..

You can't double dip your wick and expect the candle to burn forever...

I really wanted to see that but my parents ditched the Digital Cable because Time Warner increased our bill to over 115 bucks

double dip your wick
    Enough said.

Originally posted by sociallysleepy
    I really wanted to see that but my parents ditched the Digital Cable because Time Warner increased our bill to over 115 bucks
    115 dollars is outrageous.. Digital Cable isn't worth a sh!t anyway. Get the basic cable, and internet package, then get one of those online TV programs, that let you watch any channel all over the world for next to nothing over broadband!

TV should be broadcasted over the internet.. this technology is here and now, but is being shoved to the side by cable operators because they want to make more money!

BUt the RIAA is even more scandelous.. charging for CDRs then moaning when users download stuff to put on those CDRs that the RIAA gets a cut from.. what a load of sh!t.

Newbie to the site

My name is Shaun and I have been working as a Systems Analyst for some time. Im looking to join your network if I could. I have been working with Bee-jay.

Bee-Jay has lost his job and does not have the fast conection that he did, hence the reason he has not been on

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar

Re: Newbie to the site

Originally posted by heathy
    My name is Shaun and I have been working as a Systems Analyst for some time. Im looking to join your network if I could. I have been working with Bee-jay.

Bee-Jay has lost his job and does not have the fast conection that he did, hence the reason he has not been on
    Welcome to Techzonez Shaun, and thanks for updating us about Bee-Jay.

Welcome Shaun. Hope Bee-jay gets back on his feet quickly.

Originally posted by sociallysleepy
    My bill is $123 but.......I have all the extra channels there are.

Just a request folks. Let's stay focused on the RIAA boycott issue. We can tackle some of the other issues later.

To start the debate again I will paraphrase a portion of the Tech TV special. A record executive was asked why the record industry did not seem to care (at least to the degree they do now) when people taped music from radio broadcast. The answer was that the quality was poor. The follow-up statement, "Then you don't care if music is "stolen" as long as the result is poor quality."

Needless to say it got a laugh.