Thread: optical mouse vs. ball type

Gold Member

optical mouse vs. ball type

I just bought my son a Dell laptop to send overseas. I also bought him a Microsoft optical USB mouse so he didn't have to use the touchpad etc. I guess the optical mouse uses that light to work instead of the rolling ball, but my question is--will that light that is constantly on, wear down the battery much faster ?
    Should I have just bought a regular older style mouse with the ball ?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    He'll want the optical in a bad environment. The track ball type will get dirty fast, and wear out quickly. The light used is about the same intensity of the Power LED, and is only active really when you are using it, that is when it draws the most power. YOu might want to send him an additional battery pack later on, so that he can charge both and have plenty of time to use it, if he tells you that the battery is wearing out quickly. BUt I really think it won't drain it that much.

I think you made the best choice with the optical mouse. They scroll much better, feel more fluid, are lighter and therefore take the stress of the wrists, etc..

Gold Member
    Thanks BB, I thought I was going to have to go buy another mouse ! Not that they are that expensive, it was just the additional running to the store. Mike

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    The touchpad can serve as a backup anyway, but I agree with Booger's insights.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Conan hit a key point! I use the touchpad more than I use the USB optical mouse I have because of the relation of the touchpad to the keyboard. I find I can scroll and surf faster with the touch pad than with an external mouse. It is easy to clean and you can change the sensitivity very easily!

Originally posted by Big Booger
    I think you made the best choice with the optical mouse. They scroll much better, feel more fluid, are lighter and therefore take the stress of the wrists, etc..
    This is why I will never go back to using a roll ball mouse..sick of cleaning the crap out from around the ball for starters. My optical moves faster and more fluid, as well as easier and more responsive while gaming
    R.I.P
    MSN Status: | Please Read The Forum Rules

Gee, you oughta try my Logitech MX700. Cordless, optical, fluid, responsive, and works well in gaming. But.......................it carries two batteries in it making it heavy; yet the overall 'usefulness' overrides that making it, IMO, one of the best mice out there.

Originally posted by Thor
    Gee, you oughta try my Logitech MX700. Cordless, optical, fluid, responsive, and works well in gaming. But.......................it carries two batteries in it making it heavy; yet the overall 'usefulness' overrides that making it, IMO, one of the best mice out there.
    Ive tried...infact Ive got
    best mouse on the market Thor, I wouldnt give this up ever
    R.I.P
    MSN Status: | Please Read The Forum Rules

Originally posted by zErO
    Ive tried...infact Ive got
    best mouse on the market Thor, I wouldnt give this up ever
    I certainly have to agree with that.