Thread: Running an app locally

Bronze Member

Running an app locally

I'm trying to develop a small UI which is to be used to choose which facility to run. The user (effectively) clicks a button and runs an executable program.

When this happens, the browser detects that I am downloading an executable file and asks if I want to save or open it. Clearly I always want to open it.

This is obviously a security issue but I hope to be able to get round it since it's running locally on the intranet. In fact it's even running on the same machine as the web host (Aopache Win32).

Is it possible to set the system to allow what I want and if so, how?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Maybe you already have found the solution. But if not, here goes.... Go into 'Folder Options' and choose the 'File Types' tab. Select the file type you want in the list and click the 'Edit' button. Then add a check beside the option 'Confirm open after download'. That should do it.

Let me know if it does.

Bronze Member
    Whlst I've not yet actually tried it, the info from MS suggest that .EXE files are not ones that can be set to allow this (security and all that). Of course there may be a lot more to it than that and maybe I can cheat by using a .BAT file or other similar mechanism to get the app going.