Thread: Search function in XP

Search function in XP

Hi:

Is there a way to have XP search for a file in, say, My Documents or Program as most of what I want is stored in these 2 folders? I get impatient waiting while many files/folders are searched.

Failing this are there any shareware or even FREE programs that I could use?

wumply
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    In the XP search, under the "Look IN" drop down menu, select the My Documents or Programs folder.

It's that simple

But, Big Booger:

When I go Start > Search I get no Look In drop down menu.
    What I do get follows:

What do you want to search for?
    Pictures, music or video
    Documents (word processing, spreadsheets)
    All files or folders
    Computers or People.
    Information in Help and Support Center.

You may also want to...

Search the internet
    Change preferences
    Learn more about Search Companion

Search Companion makes it easy to search for files and folders, printers, people, and other computers on your network; and it's a convenient starting point for searching for information on the Internet. Search Companion also has an indexing service that maintains an index of all the files on your computer, making searches faster.

wumply
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Click all files and folders, and then select the drop down menu "look in", then select "My Documents, or find your Programs folder, you can get to the programs folder by selecting browse at the bottom.

Gotcha! Thanks.

wumply

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    Originally posted by wumply
    Search Companion makes it easy to search for files and folders, printers, people, and other computers on your network; and it's a convenient starting point for searching for information on the Internet. Search Companion also has an indexing service that maintains an index of all the files on your computer, making searches faster.

wumply
    search companion sounds really pleasant
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by egghead
    search companion sounds really pleasant
    Yeah, with the cute little doggy.