Thread: Samsung launches 576Mbit RDRAM chips

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Samsung launches 576Mbit RDRAM chips

THE SEMI division of Samsung said today it has started mass producing 576Mbit RDRAM chips, fulfilling the plans it revealed two years ago to continue producing Rambus technology.

The firm said that the chips fly along with a processing speed of 1200Mbps. Werner Diesing, VP of memory in Europe, said: "RDRAM provides memory performance advantages for manufacturers of supercomputers, advanced servers and higher network equipment developers".

The chips will be used to make RIMMs Rambus in line memory modules up to 1GB in different kinds of packaging.

The chips are produced using a .11 (micron) process technology, and Samsung claims that in a four channel system gives one and a half times the bandwidth of dual channel DDR 400.

Source

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Wonder how expensive it'll be?

Probably very considering it is made for the best machines. If you want the best you got to pay to play

Notice it is 1.5 times the bandwidth of Dual Channel DDR?

Originally posted by Big Booger
    Probably very considering it is made for the best machines. If you want the best you got to pay to play

Notice it is 1.5 times the bandwidth of Dual Channel DDR?
    Even the current PC800 RDRAM is still quite expensive in relation to DDR400 so I really don't see a reason to go back to RDRAM. DDR 2 is also right around the corner.

I think if you run a server or business machine, you'll stick RDRAM in. DDR is cheap because it is based on an older technology. By the time DDR 2 is released Rambus will already be cooking up something better.. I can imagine they are doing it now.

My next machine will be DDR based, I think, because of the price.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar

My next machine will be DDR based, I think, because of the price.
    I'm thinking DDR2 will be the way to go...but we'll see what the future holds.

Can you really feel a difference between the different ram technologies? Apart from benchmarking, is it noticeable? Can you see the speed increase in daily operations like using the internet, word apps, or gaming?

I mean the only time I think you'd notice would be in graphic or rendering applications, where ram is utilized fully...

Or am I way off on this one? Anyone care to comment?

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Can you really feel a difference between the different ram technologies? Apart from benchmarking, is it noticeable? Can you see the speed increase in daily operations like using the internet, word apps, or gaming?

I mean the only time I think you'd notice would be in graphic or rendering applications, where ram is utilized fully...

Or am I way off on this one? Anyone care to comment?
    I tend to agree...for everyday usage there's probably not much benefit...but then what would I know? I'm still using PC133 SDRAM...LOL

believe this or not I have a PC133 machine and a RDRAM PC800 machine and the PC133 feels snappier.. hehehehe

I am sure it is just in my head..

What I know is DDR 400 in Dual Channel mode for Intel 865 and 875 chipsets wipes the floor with current RDRAM technology. When I upgraded my hardware I really can't tell if my CPU or Memory made the most impact on speed since I changed both at the same time.
    Last edited by Conan; September 11th, 2003 at 06:39 AM.

The question still remains, is can you feel the difference in daily applications and operations?

Those benchmarks mean jack crap to me. I want to feel it. If I can't feel it, I am not up to forking out the dough for it.

I agree RDRAM is overpriced. But this new RDRAM does 1.5 times the bandwidth of current DDR. I am sure DDR 2 will be more expensive than the current DDR offerings. How can they afford to make it as cheap? And is there any estimate as to when DDR 2 will be released? Just around the corner is a wee bit vague.

The question still remains, is can you feel the difference in daily applications and operations?

Those benchmarks mean jack crap to me. I want to feel it. If I can't feel it, I am not up to forking out the dough for it.

I agree RDRAM is overpriced. But this new RDRAM does 1.5 times the bandwidth of current DDR. I am sure DDR 2 will be more expensive than the current DDR offerings. How can they afford to make it as cheap? And is there any estimate as to when DDR 2 will be released? Just around the corner is a wee bit vague.
    Release plans for DDR2:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9400

Well aside from benchmarks, just about every program opens faster when I upgraded. Shutting down Windows is also faster. Using 3D Mark 2001SE as a basis, I gained around 50-70 FPS even though my current FX card is slower than my old Ti 4400 card in Direct 8 games.

When you say faster, do you mean noticeably faster, do you mean 10 times faster, to you mean a few seconds faster.. or is it a nominal change?

As for benchmarks, you can throw them out, but I know from experience, they are mostly BS hehehee

How were you comparing the two technologies speeds? were they both compared on newly formatted systems? Did you time the shutdowns? hehehe If there was a difference in shutdown times, how much was it? Seconds? Minutes? Hours(kidding)..

From that article:

According to a report in this morning's Nihon Keizai Shimbun, Elpida will make 512Mbit DDR-2 chips with production starting in June this year, and aimed to work with its next generation microprocessor, codenamed Prescott.
    Where can you buy it if production began in June, this is September, surely it should be on the shelves in 3 months?

Well I don't really see the need for me to take out a stopwatch and record the time it takes for my programs to open. I just know that they open faster and that is enough for me.

As to your question of newly reformatted systems, do you really need to be asking me that? No configuration lasts more than a month with me.

Where can you buy it if production began in June, this is September, surely it should be on the shelves in 3 months?
    Surely you will buy it off E-Bay since that is where you make most of your purchases.

I already searched ebay.. better than the trunk of the local hardware dealer LOL

And what I was getting at with the stop watch deal was simply what I said above, sometimes we think because we buy a supposedly faster product that it is truly faster.. sometimes it is.. but sometimes the speed is in milliseconds, which cannot be seen or sensed. It is a psychological phenomenon.
    Last edited by Big Booger; September 11th, 2003 at 08:35 AM.