Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router Recommendation

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar

Router Recommendation

Here in the next few weeks I will be replacing my router with a different one. I just wanted everyone's recommendation on what router to purchase. The main requirement is that it needs to be wireless. Another thing I'm looking for is a SOLID router. My current router continually loses port forwarding as well as internet connections from heavy traffic. What do you all recommend?

Titanium Member
    I'm wondering which router you decided on. I want a cheap but good one with a firewall.

BB the Belkin one has some bad reviews. Around 40% said it's horrible. I'm not liking that percentage.

There are alot of good cheap wired routers out there i'm sure. What are your suggestions? Thanks.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Lynchknot, you said you wanted a cheap router. If you want cheap, then you are going to get cheap.. You also said it had to be from BestBuy.. they had more.. if you had listed a price range I could have found one that was a better deal.

Now the best router out there if you have the funds would be a cisco router:

http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?src=PW&item=35122

259.99+shipping. That'd be the router to go with if you have the mullah to chunk down on it. But it depends on if you want a wireless router, or if you just need an ethernet based router.

Now if you want an extremely cheap yet great bargain in terms of bang for the buck:

Trendware/Trendnet DSL/Cable Broadband Router with 4 Port Switch, Model TW100-S4W1CA Retail the easiest and securest way to share your high-speed ca-ble/xDSL Internet connection.
    Specifications:
    Supports 253 users to access Internet at the same time
    Auto-sense 10/100Mbps connection speed and Half/Full Duplex mode on all ports
    Supports most operating systems such as Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP, and Mac
    Supports Proxy DNS and Dynamic DNS (DDNS)
    Retail box (see pics ) More... Model#: TW100-S4W1CA
    Special FedEx Saver Shipping $5.00
    - Product Link -See It! (image count 7 ) -Price Alert (N82E16833156001) Return to Service
    (avg rating out of 7 voters)
    (5) Read the Wish Lists About the Item(2)

$27.00

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...ription=router

How can you go wrong with that? The user reviews below:

Trendware/Trendnet DSL/Cable Broadband Router with 4 Port Switch, Model TW100-S4W1CA Retail the easiest and securest way to share your high-speed ca-ble/xDSL Internet connection.
    Specifications:
    Supports 253 users to access Internet at the same time
    Auto-sense 10/100Mbps connection speed and Half/Full Duplex mode on all ports
    Supports most operating systems such as Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP, and Mac
    Supports Proxy DNS and Dynamic DNS (DDNS)
    Retail box (see pics )

mattymattmaatt,9/7/2003 6:16:30 PM

We just bought the router from NewEgg. It worked perfectly from the box. Thirty bucks was a welcome price for this, and it is functioning flawlessly! It has nice features too. You can have it check e-mail and notify you if you have mail and set up virtual serves and such. All for thirty bucks!
    nerdeaux,7/27/2003 7:23:54 PM

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...net+kvm+switch

A great router, with all the "bells & whistles" of the Linksys, D-Link, & SMC, etc., without their price!! VERY easy-to-follow instructions, with a VERY good manual, showing step-by-step configuration screenshots. Trendware/Trendnet products seem to be very high quality, & you can't beat the newegg price & service!!!
    I also got their KVM switch Model TK-205i (see link) which works perfectly!!
    N/A,7/25/2003 9:45:59 AM

This cheap little router works good. It also functions as a firewall, however its not mentioned on the newegg description.

I use for a firewall when I'm not playing games. When I am playing games you simply run a gateway program (from trendware.com) which allows your internet games to comunicate.

I also bought it so I can have a little lan party if friends come over. I haven't got to try it yet though.

The only bad part about the item is that I couldn't run the Floppy's that come with it. The tredware web page is very helpful though so it wasn't a roadblock at all.

Oh and the text above the lights is unreadable when the LED's are on. This is because the case is clear and the text is white. So when you first start using it, its confusing cause you don't know what the LEDs stand for.
    Netrunner634,6/19/2003 5:56:22 PM

I bought this router beacuse it had an awsome price and it had all the features needed to complete my tasks namely PPPoE for use on a DSL connection... This Router is loaded, port fowarding, DMZ and web page config just like any big name brand and it's very easy to setup if understand networking well or are not afraid to learn a little. My only beef was it has a problem with long cable runs, one of my machines needed a 100 foot cable and the switch refused to service it... My solution was to use and old hub and I feed the router in to it then made the 100' connection and everything was great. So if you have a big house or need to go over 25' you may want to look around, other than that for the price the router has alot of bang of the buck, so to speak...
    lal4l,6/17/2003 2:00:30 PM

Real cheap it works good nice and small looks nice very easy to set up didnt have to do anything but plug in all that stuff with floppy disc was not needed. I use the PS2 with this and one comp only... Comes with a cable lice which is good i am pretty happy with this product and reccoment it .

Titanium Member
    Thanks BB. I went to Best Buy today and they don't carry Belkin in store - it is online only.
    Some comments I read are that they had trouble with P2P, online games, and slow connections in general.
    worse than I expected.
    DETAILS: I got it to share internet with my PS2. I stared off with a decent speed. It was also very easy to setup. Anyway, later on my speed suffered greatly. When talking with Belkin, they told me to update the firmware so I did. I noticed slight increase with speed for a while. Later, I could not connect with anyone on PS2. My web pages were so slow, error messages came up instead of web pages. Due to lack of speed, I give it a thumbs DOWN.
    worse than I expected.
    DETAILS: Having several computers and a cable connection, i picked up this router cause it was cheap. Installation and set up was easy.....but then the problems started rolling in. The router drops the connection when there are multiple incomming or outgoing connections are taking place (ie. if using a filesharing program like Bittorrent). Being a above average gamer, i must say this router is beyond horrible. When playing a game like Counter-strike, it drops the connection when pinging or refreshing servers. (even using the all seeing eye didnt help). I was able to set up my servers running behind it, but there isnt as many features with this router as with others. Port forwarding only allows for 10ports to be opened and redirected. I have had problems trying to read the logs on the router....
    I'll look into your suggestion - it sounds good!
    I don't have the money for an expensive one but a cheap bad one is just a waste of money.

*edit - wait, this one does not have a firewall does it?
    It also functions as a firewall
    - what does that mean? is it NAT or WHAT?
    Last edited by lynchknot; September 29th, 2003 at 01:44 AM.

The TW100-S4W1CA also has Network Address Translation (NAT) feature, which acts like a firewall and protects your computers from hackers.

Well,
    The belkin does sound like a complete waste of money, but it was the cheapest one Bestbuy had to offer.

The Trendware $27.00 sounds like a smashing deal, does what you need, had positive reviews, and for that price.. c'mon.. Lynch that is your router. They should rename the router:

"The LynchPoo Deluxe"

LOL

Just frying your fritter.
    Last edited by Big Booger; September 29th, 2003 at 04:51 AM.

Titanium Member
    LOL bEEBS lets say I can spend around fifty dollar. I went through that list but its a little confusing with specs. I want to make sure there is an effective firewall without sacrificing speed.

You have some choices:

Netgear MR814 802.11b Cable/DSL Wireless Router - RETAIL
    Specifications:
    Easy-to-use device with 4 wired ports
    Up to 16 2.4 GHz wireless clients allows up to 253 users simultaneously participate in high-speed Web surfing, audio/video streaming, file sharing and more
    Monitors user activity with logging and e-mail alerts, provides URL filtering controls, and features Network Address Translation (NAT) firewall protection against hackers
    Smart Wizard auto-installation More... Model#: MR814NA
    $20 Mail-In Rebate from NETGEAR! Offer valid 7-1-03 through 9-30-03!
    Click here for The Book of Wi-Fi! Learn to take advantage of this high-speed, inexpensive, & versatile technology.
    $57.00 -$20
    (Mail in Rebate)
    =$37.00
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

US Robotics USR8000A Broadband Router - RETAIL
    Specifications:
    One RJ-45, 10 Mbps Ethernet WAN port auto-switching/autosensing
    Four RJ-45, 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN ports autoswitching/autosensing
    Integrated firewall protection for security
    Static and dynamic IP addressing
    DHCP server (LAN) and client (WAN)
    PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE) support Model#: USR8000A
    $10 Mail-In Rebate from US Robotics! Offer Good 11/01/02 and 01/31/03!
    - Product Link -See It! (image count 1 ) -Price Alert (N82E16833135002) Return to Service

$53.50
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trendware/Trendnet Broadband Firewall Router with 4 Port Switch, Model TW100-BRF104 Retail TRENDnet's TW100-BRF104 is a 4-Port Broadband Router/Firewall. It functions as a broadband router that allows multiple users to access your Cable/DSL
    Specifications:
    Built-in 4-port 10/100Mbps Auto-Sensing Switch
    Standards: IEEE 802.3, 802.3u
    Protocols: ARP, DHCP, ICMP, NAT, RIP, TCP/IP
    Internet Access restriction via IP Address (5 entries) and Time/Date
    Retail Box More... Model#: TW100-BRF104 Special FedEx Saver Shipping $5.00
    - Product Link -See It! (image count 4 ) -Price Alert (N82E16833156014) Return to Service

$47.00
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SMC Barricade, Router, Model SMC7004VBR Retail The Barricade Broadband Router (SMC7004VBR) is the ideal networking solution for any home and business user that is looking for a simple cost-effective network product.
    Specifications: Ports:Four RJ-45 10/100 Mbps LAN portsOne 10/100 Mbps WAN port
    Internet Sharing Methods: Static IP, Dynamic IP, PPPoE NAT
    Cabling Type:10Base-T: UTP/STP Category 3 or 5
    100Base-TX: UTP/STP Category 5 or above
    Size 5.2 x 3.4 x 1.3 More... Model#: SMC7004VBR
    Special Free FedEx Saver Shipping
    - Product Link -See It! (image count 4 ) -Price Alert (N82E16833129006) Return to Service
    (avg rating out of 8 voters)

$44.00
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dlink DI-604 D-Link Express EtherNetworkTM 4-Port Ethernet Broadband Router - RETAIL Connect up to 4 computers with the internet with firewall protection.
    Standards: IEEE 802.3 10Base-T Ethernet IEEE 802.3u 100Base-TX Fast Ethernet IEEE 802.3 NWay Auto-Negotiation
    Dimensions L = 5.5 W = 4.5 H = 1 inch
    Device Management Web-Based requires at least
    Microsoft Internet Explorer v5 or later; Netscape Navigator v4 or later; or other Java-enabled browsers. More... Model#: DI-604
    $10 Mail-In Rebate from Dlink! Offer valid on purchases made between 08/01/03 - 09/30/03!
    Special Free FedEx Saver Shipping
    - Product Link -See It! (image count 4 ) -Price Alert (N82E16833127013) Return to Service
    (avg rating out of 26 voters)

$39.98 -$10
    (Mail in Rebate)
    =$29.98
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd personally go with the Trendware or the SMC Barricade, although the netgear seems nice.. And considering Stripe is having issues with his Dlink, I'd stay way from it..

Linksys seems to be the most troublesome..

With the netgear you're gonna have great support for the most part because they are a huge company.

All of them meet your needs and your budget.

If I were forced to choose.. I'd go with the SMC Barricade or the NEtgear.. as you get the wireless capability if you ever want to try that out. Great to have a laptop on the patio or balconey and surf outdoors.

Titanium Member
    I was thinking the same. I might get a laptop someday. They seem to be comparable in price or am I sacrificing some features for wireless? I'm assuming they all have firewalls even though they don't state it.
    Is wireless complete? Do you have to buy someting else, like a different nic?
    Last edited by lynchknot; September 29th, 2003 at 06:11 AM.

Titanium Member
    How about between these 2 BB?

D-Link DI-614+ AirPlus Enhanced 2.4GHz Wireless Router with Built in 4-Port Switch - RETAIL Ideal for those creating their first wireless network, as well as for more advanced users looking for additional management settings and policy-based content filtering. Filters can be set based on MAC address, IP address, URL and/or Domain Name. Up to 22Mbps and 802.11b compatible. Advanced Firewall & Parental Control. Share Internet with Built-In 4-Port Switch. More... Model#: DI-614+
    $25 Mail-In Rebate from Dlink! Offer valid on purchases made between 08/01/03 - 09/30/03!
    - Product Link -See It! (image count 6 ) -Price Alert (N82E16833127014) Return to Service
    *****(avg rating out of 27 voters) $39.00

Netgear MR814 802.11b Cable/DSL Wireless Router - RETAIL
    Specifications:
    Easy-to-use device with 4 wired ports
    Up to 16 2.4 GHz wireless clients allows up to 253 users simultaneously participate in high-speed Web surfing, audio/video streaming, file sharing and more
    Monitors user activity with logging and e-mail alerts, provides URL filtering controls, and features Network Address Translation (NAT) firewall protection against hackers
    Smart Wizard auto-installation More... Model#: MR814NA
    $20 Mail-In Rebate from NETGEAR! Offer valid 7-1-03 through 9-30-03!
    Click here for The Book of Wi-Fi! Learn to take advantage of this high-speed, inexpensive, & versatile technology.
    - Product Link -See It! (image count 5 ) -Price Alert (N82E16833122011) Return to Service
    *****(avg rating out of 11 voters) $37.00

This place has the D link for 34 dollars: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/justdeals/ddiaien2wiro.html
    Last edited by lynchknot; September 29th, 2003 at 06:43 AM.

Either one will do. Just remeber you have to have a PCI WIreless if you want to do wireless networking on your PC, you'll need an adapter in your PC:

http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage....130-101-03.JPG

Or in your Laptop:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage....156-101-04.jpg

Also configure shipping into your cost as well! ANd read the reviews carefully before you throw down your cash.

Titanium Member
    Don't these run wireless OR wired? I don't need wireless right now but maybe in the future.

Titanium Member
    I think i'm going to go with the Dlink. Here is a good review by cnet: http://reviews.cnet.com/D_Link_AirPl...3.html?tag=dir

yah I think both have 4 wired ports in teh back and up to 16 wireless connections can be made.

The Dlink sounds good. Enjoy it!
    I paid over $300 for my IODATA router with the wireless cards included. :P

SORRY STRIPE FOR HIJACKING YOUR TOPIC.. but I think we've found some pretty decent deals on routers.. plenty for you to decide on.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    Originally posted by lynchknot
    I'm wondering which router you decided on. I want a cheap but good one with a firewall.

BB the Belkin one has some bad reviews. Around 40% said it's horrible. I'm not liking that percentage.

There are alot of good cheap wired routers out there i'm sure. What are your suggestions? Thanks.
    this is mine lynch

very affordable and works ok for me.

is this an ok one Big Booger?

http://www.computerbase.co.uk/descri...i604router.htm
    ------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.bunker89.com/storev2/shop...le_DSL_Router/

There's a fair review of your router Egghead.