Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a good firewall for Windows 2003

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    There are limited choices to work with here. Sygate will not work with Windows 2003 Server. I think Zone Alarm 4 and Tiny Firewall 4.5 will work with it but not sure really about their performance.
    Will not work??
    Then, what are all those beeps that I hear in the background??
    I use Sygate with Windows 2003 and it works beautifully.
    I haven't try an AV solution yet thought, but Firewall Sygate works great. (too good, sometimes it blocks me too, since it thinks I am trying to DoS my systems, when I am just moving 100GB of files )

Banned
    go with zonealarm

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Well, Since going thru my first week of a Microsoft brain washing session I have to agree with Boogs about the 2k3 firewall. It really seems to be a secure piece of work...

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    I've checked it out too and it's actually not that bad. I need to read up on it a little more.

I know I shouldn't probably say this but, don't go with Panda Security, unless you like popups & don't like to see whats going on One of the top names I like is McAfee's firewall, easy to configure & can see exactly whats going on, there's also some cool statistics info you can veiw, if ya like that sorta thing But the simplest smallest and most veiwable would have to be Kerio Firewall
    Live long and prosper!

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Granted all the suggestions are good firewalls, however there is an important factor that needs to be considered. A lot of these products do not support server installations, due to IP stack setup on startup etc. I think only corporate versions and specific server versions of AV and Firewall software only work, but perhaps updated software works too??

I just attended the Microsoft Security Summit in Melbourne, and they were definitely pushing the built in firewall and IPSec security features of win2003. And intense use of Group and Security policies. They suggest locking down the computer ie block all ports then make policies to allow certain ports to open.

However, the big issue is AV, what AV work on servers??

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Well, I can personally understand that maybe, they're just pushing for the Microsoft $. Sure enough, as Windows has it's own tools for the task(s) at hand, they would probably be the best built to suit the OS's needs, rather than any 3rd party software. However, I would say not to abandon even the consideration of using any extra help, just about all of Microsoft's OS's so far have had what the user needs accessible to them, just not been so staight forward and/or easy to impliment. What most 3rd party software does a high percentage of the time is to simply use the OS's tools/utilities.
    Live long and prosper!

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    well, I am reading old post as you can see.
    There is a version of NOD that works on servers.
    At work we use Symantec corporate Antivirus. Easy to manage from the console. I just have one complain, and is that the LiveUpdate feature is not working, but it could easily be because of our old software (version 7.5 running on NT4)
    I have received the version 8 from Symantec (free) but I cannot install it because I have no idea where is the key we got (we can use the key from 7.5 according to Symantec since we had the support agreement)
    I haven't deployed NOD because I only have 25 licences.
    Notes from Symantec corportate: it updates the signature file. This allows for fast update of clients and there is no need to restart.
    Stuff I seen in our servers. A lot of clients that report a virus, but can't see any file with virus This could be related to the old software mentioned
    Coming back to the firewalls. Sygate works on W2K3. The built in firewall is OK, but I haven't use it much. An honestely MS can tell you it is good, but if you use 2003 is because you are serious about hosting, and in that case you don't use software firewall. So, what is a good firewall for Windows 2003? Cisco Firewall
    Now, check this out, how does Cisco Firewalls work? They use layer, and close all ports by default. Then you have to open the port, and specify type too (TCP or UDP) Or you can open connection for a specific IP. Or use Layer 3 and route access to a specific IP thru that.
    Software firewall will eat your resources if you really use the server. I have software firewall on the servers (sygate) but disable. I only enable them when I get a virus on the network to stop the spreading to the servers.
    NAT will do a great job if it is for home, and then you add Sygate. I have seen some incoming request to SQL even thought I have NAT, but using NAT reduces a lot more traffic and software firewall works better. IF you use a lot (high bandwith usage) go and get a Cisco router. They are some cheap ones. I have broken Linksys and Netgear routers just by using them. Next I will be going to a Cisco. I am tired of routers failing

Red face av for 2003

McAfee 7.1 works great, but only after you have updated the engine, and you cannot update the engine until after you have updated the dat files, but you are going to do that anyway....

Would still like a firewall where i can control and see whats going on, zonealarms free version wont work on server??
    Last edited by neolithic; June 10th, 2004 at 14:18 PM. Reason: mistyped sometign

PCillian from trend Micro enterprize edition. We'll be installing 2003 again shortly and I'll let you know.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    This is one of those different strokes for different folks issues...I have been using sygate for quite awhile without any issues along with a purchased copy of AVG and am quite satisfied with the results...

Exclamation I Got A big Problem..

In Windows Help, I Found How To Set Up Basic Firewall... If You Wanna Try It, Go There :ms-its:\WINDOWS\Help\RRASconcepts.chm::/mpr_basicfw_configure.htm { only for windows 2003 }.
    When I Am Trying To Do These Actions:
    On the NAT/Basic Firewall tab, do one of the following:
    Click Public interface connected to the Internet, and select the Enable a basic firewall on this interface check box.
    Click Basic firewall only.

I Can';t Do Them Because Public interface connected to the Internet isn't enabled. How To Enable It??

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I think you have to install the NAT protocol in the Network Connections Option before you get that option enabled:

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBO/tip7300/rh7353.htm

Hope that helps.