Thread: Win2k/WinXP Services

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Win2k/WinXP Services

Want to know what services can be disabled?. Unfortunately there is no "master" list of services that can and cannot be disabled as each computer out there is unique. Fortunately there is a way to find out what services you do and do not use. Please keep in mind this will probably take a few days before you find out what you use.
    First load up your Services (make sure you have administrative access) and set all your services to manual and reboot the computer. Be warned, WindowsXP may be a bit sluggish because all the services you do use has to be loaded up manually. Use your computer like you would regularly (I'd say for about a week), and very important, leave your computer on while you're testing. If you turn it off or restart, we also have to start from the beginning.

After about a week's worth of computing you should load up services again from the administrative tools icon. Those that have been "Started" set to automatic as those are the ones you use. Once you do that your computer will run a bit more efficiently. =)

Good tip.

A good site for 'Services'
    http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Originally posted by Thor
    Good tip.

A good site for 'Services'
    http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    Warning, you must creat a Restore Point before following the recommendations of that guide. You can easily have a non-functioning Windows after disabling a couple of Services.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Yes, Conan is right. That is always a good advise to create a restore point everytime you play around with Windows systems.
    I tried out the tip I gave at the office, and I got to say it is pretty interesting.
    Most of the necesary services started, and there were a couple that couldn't (proably was busy with another service, since they were services for Veritas Backup), but the Event Viewer will let you know.
    The service Theme is what provides the "THEMES" HEHE
    Also, it went from 33 services from start to 17, but after a while running I had already 23.
    Anyways, it is a good number since my computer at work is in a Domain, soi there is a couple of services extra that I need to have running.
    I have a question, after doing this, there was no history in IE, or better said, the autocomplete didn't work. Which service manages this??
    Another thing I realized is that WMP didn't work. It will tell me that no audio media was found. I thought the audio drivers didn't work, but I had sound, so I checked inside WMP and there is a tab for devices and the wrong device was selected. I was wondering if there is a service that autoconfigures the devices. Is there??