Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cuantos Clusters????

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Question Cuantos Clusters????

OK, talking with a friend, I reached a conclusion. We are clueless and totally lost.
    I wanted to know how many clusters there is in a 160GB labeled hard drive if it is formated with NTFS.
    I will give you a couple of clues.
    WD says that there is 160,041 MB in a 160GB Drive
    1MB is considered 1,000,000 bytes
    1GB is considered 1,000,000,000 Bytes
    The cluster size of the drive I think it should be 4KB (right??)
    there is 8 bits in 1 Byte (do you need this info)
    And my dinner is ready.....WAIT< you don't need this info to calculate
    Anyhow, I had been calculating for over 1 hour. Yes, I bad at Math, but I used to be very good, until I found out the computer can do it all for me (execpt calculate how many clusters I have)
    I wanna know this because my computer has taken 28 hours so far to scandisk 3 million clusters, which I don't understand why they would all have problems
    Probably I should Call Guinness, since this is going to be a record Guinees "The longest ScanDisk In HISTORY!!!"

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    160X1,000,000,000Bytes/4,000KB=40,000,000 clusters

Should give you the number of clusters in 160GB.

Unless my math is wrong which is highly probable

Well, you know 4KB is not the same as 4,000KB, which is almost a MB, but I guess you meant Bytes instead
    Other quick fix, is that a KB in the File systems since it is OS based is not 1000 Bytes, but 1024Bytes, so 4 KB is 4096
    The 160GB is right since it is HDD manufacturer based, so it would be:
    160X1,000,000,000Bytes/4,096 Bytes = 39,062,500 so it is a little over 39, million cluster.
    It took about 30 hours to scan 3 millions, so it will take about 390 hours to scan 39 million, which is 16.25 days. So basically I have 15 days more of Scan Disk. I better Start praying that I don't lose power because it starts all over again
    Are my calculations correct???

It's just a difference between the decimal and binary values of a byte.. I wasn't sure which you were referring to. But you got the correct formula I think to figure it out, and 16 days or so to defrag sounds like your defragger is seriously slow..

Maybe some background process is slowing it down?

Are you running the defrag in safemode?

HEHE IT is not defrag. It is Scandisk. And not the Scandisk you run from Windows, it is the scandisk that Windows runs when it is not sutdown properly.
    Explorer.exe froze while copying files. I let it be for 6 hours to see if maybe it recovered alone, and then I tried to restart, but the computer wouldn't restart because it couldn't shutdown explorer, so I had to power it out, when it started up, it begun to do a Scandisk (Windows was not shut down properly and it will run a Scandisk bla bla bla) Anyhow, I skipped it, but guess what?? The computer run extremely slow, so I restarted again and in the secodn time I let it run, and it has been running ever since.
    It says somethig like Bad link in Cluster XXXXXXX corrected
    and it had said that from cluster 1 I guess, and now it is in 4 million, and keep going. IT goes really fast, but I can almost see it like 4,321,231 cluster corrected; 4,321,232 cluster corrected; 4,231,233 cluster corrected etc. EVERY SINGLE CLUSTER HAS A BAD LINK
    I have no idea what happened. I just can blame Winblows!!

yah, scandisk.. defrag.. :P

YOu might want to invest in Norton system works 2003:

http://www.symantec.com/sabu/sysworks/pro/

It does a better job IMHO than the windows built in tools.

Are you running scandisk from within windows? If so you might want to have it run on reboot.

I know for a fact, that I have seen scandisk take all day long to run, but that was because an Antivirus was running in the background, so everytime it started, the AV kicked on, and caused the scandisk to start over, repeating this cycle god knows how many times.

I fixed it by booting the PC in safemode and running scandisk from there.

This scan run at the startup, not from windows, but while windows was booting. Anyhow, it finished. Apparently it only had problem in the first 5 million clusters (ohh Gosh)
    I didn't like SystemWorks, I found it sucks too much resources for the job it does

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    i am not sure about this defeag stuff....

I just let my 80 gig do it for over 24 hours and I have a feeling my 80 gig is going to crap in a few months

esp when I start transfering files.

i think that it was to much unnecessary work.

i did not notice a speed increase and i have to say that bootvis.exe sped up my computer
    ------------------------------------------------------------

OK, lets forget about the clusters and Scandisk for a while. I probably will need all of TZ heads together to figure this one out.
    WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH THIS #$&^%$# SYSTEM AND HARD DRIVES??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shhh, OK, now that I let it go I can explai a little more relax. I think I will have to cut on caffeine until I get my computer working at 100%

Just finished installing the OS in a brand new hard drive, so I have no problems, right??
    It seems every single Hard drive has a problem. I just found out everything I was sharing in W@t (coded) under the folder dehcbad25 is gone/ Where?? I had no clue, but there was a folder (hidden) called FOUND.004 there is a lot of check (.chk) files from the checkdisk. So I am guessing that Scandisk "FIXED" all those bad links by making them chl files. What is wrong with Scandisk?? Suddenly it took a massive dose of stupidity? (Yeahh, I am pretty mad about it)
    How can I get those files back???
    Now, here is the other problem.
    I opened Ontrack, and it cannot recognize the FS of the big drives. It just says unrecognize file system. Why???????
    At this moment, takin in consideration that I formated the wrong drive, and that my dehcbad25 folder "dissapeared" I lost all the programs that I had gathered during this time. Believe me, that was A LOT OF FILES. And all programs that I use

What file system are you using for your OS/Hard disk? Fat, Fat32, NTFS?

Based on your cluster size of 4KB, I am guessing NTFS..

The brand new drive, should never generate problems with chkdsk.. take it back and get a new one. It could be that the HDD is failing.

Norton System Works is a fine set of tools, though they do use resources, but they only use the resources while you are running the programs.. unless you turn on the active monitoring.. (I never do).

Ontrack, why it won't recognize your file system.. do you have the right version of ontrack for your file system? I think there are two, an NTFS and a FAT32 version.. not too sure about that.

An alternative to Ontrack would be a WinInternals solution:

http://www.winternals.com/

http://www.winternals.com/products/repairandrecovery/

Disk commander is a very nice product to try.

About the .chk files, you may be in trouble with those:

http://www.security-forums.com/forum...5096&view=next

Have a read.. but it doesn't look very promising.

Nop, the drive with the problems is not the OS thanksfully.
    I have 6 phisical drives, so it would take a while to list them.
    Ontrack has in only one version program supporting both FS.
    Get Data back is the one that has FAT32 and NTFS version separately.
    I will have a look at that article. Thanks
    About the check files, the space that takes the folder, seems to be consistent with the space that the applications folder had.
    Now, here are other 2 problems that I have
    1) I cannot access MY documents from the old XP instalation. I alreayd shared the drive, and I could get further than before, Why would I want to access My documents since I already have a copy??
    Well, because of the second problem
    2)A lot of my music that was inside My Documents/My Music (only 30GB) which I had tagged, and it took me 2 months to fill up all the information, including covers, most of those files are CRAZY!!!
    Yep, the tag info is lost. And to sum it up, if I put to play BOA song Nš1 (that is the name of the song) I hear Michael Jackson's Bad. WHY??
    There is a lot of songs like that. And a lot we are talking about 80%, so basically I had almost lost all of my files that I had gathered since 2000.
    IS any way to fix the music problem?? and to identify why it happened, so it doesn't occur again??

PS, A TIP FOR ALL UPGRADERS, SO YOU DON'T HAVE MY EXPERIENCES. WHEN YOU INSTALL A SYSTEM THAT HAS MANY HARD DRIVES, GO FROM ONE HARD DRIVE. ADD A SECOND ONE AFTER THE SYSTEM IS UP AND RUNNING, INSTALL THE THIRD ONE LATER, AND SO.
    DON'T DO AS I DID: TRY TO INSTALL ALL DRIVES AT ONCE, BECAUSE YOU COULD HAVE THIS PROBLEMS

I lost mountains of info after a serious format with a completly different os intended for sat tv. to make matters "m=worse" i zeroed 5% to 10% of the drive to make it work in the satellite recorder.
    i made a mistake on the drive and used an 80 gig data backup drive instead of the 80 gig sat drive. They are the same make and model and I have about 5 hehe

i used ontrack and it found the files and I recovered them but many where useless and all the bins would not mount with daemon tools

i had an Ntfs partion before the format and zero's,

i tried getdatabck for ntfs and it scanned for an hour and pulled everything off the drive and it all worked flawlessly including dvd bins and every file that ontrack couldnt get,

all the mp'3s had all the tags

It is worth your time to test this product.

make sure you scan or rebuild and search for all ntfs partitions and you need to run it from a second hard drive.

here is the info

Our powerful data recovery tools are easy to use, while giving you full control over your data recovery.

http://www.runtime.org/

We have lowered our prices!!
    GetDataBack for NTFS for only $79
    Recovery Bundle for only $119
    NTFS Bundle for only $119
    DiskExplorer & Recovery Bundle for only $179

GetDataBack - Data Recovery for FAT V2.18
    GetDataBack will help you retrieve your files if the hard drive's partition table, boot record, FAT, or root directory have been damaged by a virus, formatting, fdisk or power failure. GetDataBack can even recover your data when the drive is no longer recognized by Windows.
    More Info...
    GetDataBack - Data Recovery for NTFS V2.18
    Recover your files when the data is no longer accessible due to formatting, fdisk, virus attack, power or software failure. Get everything back even when the drive's partition table, boot record, Master File Table or root directory is lost or corrupt.
    More Info...

This is some seriously great recovery software

good luck buds

*taken from older post*
    still the best

tried already
    Didn't work for my origianl problem
    Might try it again for the new one. I had run Ontrack and it found some of the files that windows "FIXED", so it seems I am going to have a pretty nice month coming up.
    BTW, one of my drives, the one that used to have the OS before, has a lot of folders that have the access denied. Why could this be??
    I was mainly trying to delete those folders to make space in the drive, but I am thinking to follow MSN's advice and zero it with the utility from the manufacturer and format the drive again after I try to recover music files from there. Still I am curious to know why all of this is happening. I like to know th ecause of the problems so I can learn from them, and I am not very confortable with the aligment of the stars (that is th eexcuse I give users when I have no clue what is worng)

the stars are true/

they said i was in for a bad time- something about retrograde and first time in 6,000 years or so and my car got stolen

i am not a believer but it is eerie

are you overclocking?

upping the bus can make the hard drive fail.

make sure you have smart enabled in the bios but i don't think it is available for raid

your folder that are in accessable are most likely lost clusters. like the stars, are somewhat invalid

getdataback cant find your mp3's?

you should see folders which represent different stages of your directory and files from different formats and installs.

your hard drive must be gone and scandisk has written over you files.

when i formated my drive and realized my error i removed it and installed another 80 gig and put the formated drive as a slave so i would not write over any files.