Thread: Are You Ready for 5.1 Audio on Your PC?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Are You Ready for 5.1 Audio on Your PC?

In order to enjoy the fantastic 5.1 multi–channel surround sound music experience provided by Windows Media 9 Series, your computer must be capable of playing back 5.1 content.

The following components are required:

* A computer running Windows XP.
    * Windows Media Player 9 Series can be downloaded for free from the Windows Media Web site.
    * 5.1 capable sound card—For example, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2, Sound Blaster Audigy, Sound Blaster Extigy, or Sound Blaster Live! 5.1, Echo Audio Layla24 or Mona, M–Audio Delta 1010, Delta 1010–LT or Delta 410.
    * 5.1 capable speakers—Front Left, Center, Front Right, Left Rear, Right Rear and Sub Woofer.
    * Microsoft has teamed up with Creative Labs to help you make your PC ready to enjoy the 5.1 multi–channel surround audio experience.

Immerse yourself in full, surround sound for home theater–like experiences powered by Windows Media Player 9 Series running on Windows XP. With today’s consumer PC hardware, you can quickly and cost effectively get set up to enjoy fantastic, multichannel surround. This article outlines how to choose the sound card you need and walks you through the installation process.

The Microsoft 5.1 Audio Guide

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    What about the Nforce2 integrated sound?? u other 5.1 integrated sounds??

I'd chance to say that if the integrated card is 5.1 compatible, it will function nearly the same.

While music professionals and audiophiles may need the high level of performance offered by some of these solutions, a typical home user may decide that one of the more basic cards delivers great experiences at the right price. Also note, that while all of these cards support multichannel output, if you also want to enjoy full resolution audio (24–bit/96kHz sampling) be sure the card you choose supports that as well.

OK, I have a question. I bought the Asus A7N8X Deluxe Version 2 that was recomended to my by very knowegable people ()
    So it has Nforce2 integrated sound, and I also have a Creative Audigy. Which one is better?? or they are pretty much the same?

View it from a group that put the two to the test:

The Battle of the Nforce 2 versus the Audigy Audio Solution

Hopefully that will give you a good idea about the two and offer a decent comparison.

Nice review. Thanks BB.

If you are into audio and want to know the lowdown on the Nforce2 versus Audigy 2, that'd be the guide to read.

Good guide
    should be very helpfull for those that are crazed with making their pc sound like a full on hi-fi system i.e me
    R.I.P
    MSN Status: | Please Read The Forum Rules

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Originally posted by zErO
    Good guide
    should be very helpfull for those that are crazed with making their pc sound like a full on hi-fi system i.e me
    yep thats me too... already got 5.1 with old SBL!ve 5.1 3yrs ago... its so sweet with music&dvds, but also games are amazing... I always crap myself playing MOHAA and i hear ppl sneaking up behind me! Looking to upgrade to audigy2 external setup... so can move around comps ie laptop

update:
    just read the article, and its inconclusive as which is better I guess if you are upgrading MB then get Nforce2, if just want better sound and already got MAD comp, then get audigy2. Sweet.
    Last edited by cash_site; September 26th, 2003 at 09:49 AM.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Nice review.
    I have the Audigy (1, first) so I think I will leave the sound to the NForce2. I was wondering about the CPU usage, but considering it has more feauters, it might not be much of a concern.
    I my previous motherboard, I actually was pretty happy when I bought the Audigy, because it made A LOT of difference. Sound Alone was worth it, but I remembered the UT2K3 Benchmark went up for 20 fps, since the CPU use was a lot lower.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I've been very happy with the sound storm audio on the A7N8x deluxe.

Originally posted by phishhead
    I've been very happy with the sound storm audio on the A7N8x deluxe.
    I'm a satisified consumer also.

Wow, it must be good if 2 of the most demanding TZ member say they are satisfied