In order to enjoy the fantastic 5.1 multi–channel surround sound music experience provided by Windows Media 9 Series, your computer must be capable of playing back 5.1 content.
The following components are required:
* A computer running Windows XP.
* Windows Media Player 9 Series can be downloaded for free from the Windows Media Web site.
* 5.1 capable sound card—For example, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2, Sound Blaster Audigy, Sound Blaster Extigy, or Sound Blaster Live! 5.1, Echo Audio Layla24 or Mona, M–Audio Delta 1010, Delta 1010–LT or Delta 410.
* 5.1 capable speakers—Front Left, Center, Front Right, Left Rear, Right Rear and Sub Woofer.
* Microsoft has teamed up with Creative Labs to help you make your PC ready to enjoy the 5.1 multi–channel surround audio experience.
Immerse yourself in full, surround sound for home theater–like experiences powered by Windows Media Player 9 Series running on Windows XP. With today’s consumer PC hardware, you can quickly and cost effectively get set up to enjoy fantastic, multichannel surround. This article outlines how to choose the sound card you need and walks you through the installation process.
The Microsoft 5.1 Audio Guide