Thread: VoIP

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

VoIP

I have a little challenge here in my hands, and it went from little to too big.
    We are trying to set up 2 phones lines at the front gate of the building, where the cars come in, and the security guards are.
    There is fiber run to that place, so the initial idea was to use the fiber. Since our phones are digital, teorically was thought it should work, but it didn't.
    We discovered (the hard way) that voice, even thought digital cannot pass thru fiber, so we have to find another way.
    What we are imaging is that the voice could be converted to IP, and then at the other end from IP to voice again. With this in mind I set to the sea of the Internet, and I got floded with information. My brain is currently out of service
    Most of the info I found refers to setting up a VoIP network, and I only need to do it for 2 lines, so I don't want the cost to skyrock.
    I thought maybe some of you are more familiar than I am, since I would be a complete baby in this matter.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    If you just need the phone lines for the guards to communicate with each other then why not use just walkie talkies with a base station?What will be the usage Dehcbad?
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

It is not for the guards to talk to each other. We have radios for that already (I have one too)
    The need phones that can be reached from anywhere, incase that a customer calls or whatever. They are using cell phones now, but you can imagine the bill. We used to have analogs lines going to there, but the gate was re-done, and the lines had to be cut, and Verizon (telephone provider) has taken too long time, so the other option was to add them to our telephone network, which provides an extra, since calls inside the network (using the extension only) are managed by the telephone equipment, so it is free.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Dehc, you should be able to go through the fiber... There was a lot of research done on Voice Over Fiber, actaully one of my mates a couple of years a go did a research paper on it.

How far is the gaurd place from the main building... u might be able to go Wifi or why not just UHF radio, like truckies CB radio ??

what else have u found?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

we already have the fiber installed, because it was done to provide a close network for the cameras. UHF is not a practical solution since we want them to be reached by anybody, that is why we want telephone, so you can just call them directly. Wifi, well, why go wifi if we already have the fiber? We face the same problem with Wifi than with fiber

Well, I got that problem Fixed, so I am putting closing thought on that.
    There are some devices called FXS and FXO that will converte the signal. We got ours from LasComm (I think that is how it is spelled). The device can carry up to four analog lines. We are currently carrying 3 lines with no problem

The last post was to close on that idea.
    Since the thread is VOIP it came up in a search I made. So, now to my next problem (or inquery)
    I have decided that I want to get a broadband phone (VOIP). I have also 90% chosed broadVoice for the VOIP, because in the Unlimited World Plus (25$) calls to Arg are free. I need a personal number, and since I am looking for a job, and using the company cell phone wouldn't be apropiate (or more like, what will happen with calls I get after I quit?? )
    I can set call forwarding to my cell phone, so I can always answer the phone (like if I was at home)
    Also BroadVoice has an interesting feature, which brings me here today. I can use multiple devices. So, I wanted to know what is more convenient. To buy my own IP phone/VOIP router? Or to have the one that the company gives?
    They have different plans with the device and withouth it, including no closing fees.
    If any person with a little more experience could look at the info and give me some tips I will really appreciate it.
    http://www.broadvoice.com/
    They even have a wifi phone
    I really like the look of the Cisco phones. I would love to get one of those, but they are quite expensive. I also don't have much money to burn (I don't actually at all) So I have to save every penny possible, but at the same time with smartchoices.