Thread: Tweak XP

Tweak XP

Anyone use TweakXP Pro? If so, how do you like it?
    "If you want SQUARE work, you DON'T CUT CORNERS!!!!"

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I used to use Tweak XP in the past, I haven't reinstalled it at the moment. I prefer to do the registry tweaks individually and understand them better.

okay. I guess my question is... is it a resource hog? Stable? I know there are several "tweak-warez" out there, but wondered which are highly used and liked

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I use it along with atomic xp...they work great. I'm just lazy to do the manual thing like conan. Haven't updated it for some time now I think I'm on 2.08. Not sure what the current version is. They use to update it more than nero.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Originally posted by FBM357
    okay. I guess my question is... is it a resource hog? Stable? I know there are several "tweak-warez" out there, but wondered which are highly used and liked
    I think it's a hog...always seemed to slow down my PC rather than make things better! Like Conan, I think RegEdit works best

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Most of the tweaks can be done via the registry, but that is a tad dangerous for the inexperienced..

It works fine.. it does eat the resources.. and it seems with each new release it takes more and more to do the same old tasks..

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I use TweakXP Pro 2.11, its still in trial mode. The good thing about it is you set your tweaks once, then u can either uninstall it or simply take it off the startup list. And all the tweaks remain

Every now and again I mite start it back up to check some tweak settings that Dehc or conan give out thx but close right after

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Thanks to all who replied. Guess I'll have to take a look at the registry (*rolling up my sleeves and puttin on surgical gear*)

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    before putting on the gloves and diving in make sure you make a copy of your registry just incase the surgury does not go as planned.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Originally posted by phishhead
    before putting on the gloves and diving in make sure you make a copy of your registry just incase the surgury does not go as planned.
    errr.... nurse quick, give me XP cd for repair ... STAT!!

LOL

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Originally posted by phishhead
    doing my best impersonation of Dr. Rudy Wells from The Six Million Dollar Man ... "We can rebuild it... make the PC stronger, faster... we have the technology...."

I use XSetup from XTeq.com, and manual Regedit when something's not in there that I find on the 'Net that looks reasonable, and I understand what it does. Since XP sets a Restore Point each boot-up, and I power down daily, I don't usually create a RP manually unless I'm doing a gnarly operation such as installing a new driver, running a Windows Update on Patch Tuesday that looks scary, etc. I can always get back to yesterday's or the day before's functional Registry with System Restore.

In the orriginal version of Tweak-ui there was a facility to remove the arrow from desktop shortcut icons. This seems to have dissapeared (or if included does not work) in newer versions. Could someone advise me of the reg edit to accomplish this cosmetic change? Thanks in anticipation.
    Andy

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanglefoot
    In the orriginal version of Tweak-ui there was a facility to remove the arrow from desktop shortcut icons. This seems to have dissapeared (or if included does not work) in newer versions. Could someone advise me of the reg edit to accomplish this cosmetic change? Thanks in anticipation.
    Andy
    Visit here:

http://searchwinsystems.techtarget.c...989609,00.html

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    errr.... nurse quick, give me XP cd for repair ... STAT!!

LOL
    good one Cash....too funny....rotflmao