Thread: Hooking up a new cd-rom plus a burner

Unhappy Hooking up a new cd-rom plus a burner

I installed an LG CD-rom plus and LG burner. Have bothe hooked to the same IDE and can get both working ok except I cannot make one the master and the other the slave... which to me is no biggie since everything seems to work...except for one thing. I can only get sound from whichever player is hooked to the soundcard(an older creative)
    The System is a P3 600 running Win98 SE

Can anyone give some feedback on what i must do to allow sound from either cdplayer?

I compared this to another similar system and it seems to work fine but this one will not allow itself to be setup in the same manor....

Thanks for any help you can give

Chris
    Chris

"I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather....
    Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car...."

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    The only way you can get analog sound from both drives would be to install an analog cable to each one. I have seen "Y" cables sold for that purpose.

more help please

I understand the use of a Y adapter but still i cannont figure out why i would need to use one. My older system has the same setup and only one of the cd drives is connected to the sound card.... yet i can play an audio cd/game in either drive and get sound....so why do i need to do the Y connector on this sytem which is newer yhen my other system?

Thanks
    Chris

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar

Re: Hooking up a new cd-rom plus a burner

Originally posted by Elemental1998
    I installed an LG CD-rom plus and LG burner. Have bothe hooked to the same IDE and can get both working ok except I cannot make one the master and the other the slave...
    You need to configure you cd drives to be master and slave. You need to open your computer and and take out your cd drives and on the back you should see a small jumper. A diagram on the back of your cd drive should tell you how to place the jumper for master and slave.
    You need to set 1 cd drive as a master and the second one must be slave. You will have to put the master cd drive at the end of the ide cable and the second or slave cd drive must be in the middle of the cable (between the motherboard and the master cd drive.)
    You will need to enter your computers bios and select auto detect to allow your computer to understand that you have 2 cd drives hooked up.

Originally posted by Elemental1998
    I can only get sound from whichever player is hooked to the soundcard(an older creative)
    The System is a P3 600 running Win98 SE

Can anyone give some feedback on what i must do to allow sound from either cdplayer?

I compared this to another similar system and it seems to work fine but this one will not allow itself to be setup in the same manor....

Thanks for any help you can give

Chris
    If you would like to hear sound from your cd's you will need to use the Microsoft direct sound plugin.

This is usually selected by default.

I do not know the music player you are using but you can download winamp
    www.winamp.com

This should be already configured for direct sound.

You will not need the cable to listen to your cd player.

You should update your soundcard drivers.

Start first by having your cd's configured.

I look forward to your reply.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the quick reply...... but i think i got it figured out. I started by moving jumpers around and cable and now it seems ok.... but with your reply I can better understand how I got it working ...thanks again!!!
    Chris

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    glad to see you got it sorted out.

Feel free to ask all your questions.

Someone here will try their best to help
    ------------------------------------------------------------