Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TCP/IP HELP!

Titanium Member

need help!

I have no internet connection with any browser. The cable works - just the PC does not. I pugged this PC into the cable and it works but my PC does not. anyone know what is going on??????

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Firewall settings? Have you fiddled with them recently?

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    I would power down the PC and then unplug the cable modem and let it sit for a minute. Then plug it in and wait for all the lights to come on. Once all the lights are on, turn on the PC.

If you still don't have internet connections, then look at the TCP/IP settings. Make sure that they are on "Obtain an IP address Automatically"

Titanium Member
    hello. I turned firewall off and made sure the box "obtain IP automatically" was checked and it still does not work. I plug the cable into this other PC and it works.

Titanium Member
    OK if I turn firewall off I can use IE and Opera but it won't allow all links. Firebird does not work no matter what. IE can surf but many links are slow or frozen. I had to go a round about way to post this. (had to go to my profile and click last post). NAV update will start but freeze. I cannot retrieve any mail with any client with firewall off. I just stays stuck on "checking for messages" without the progress meter moving at all

Titanium Member
    Well can someone help?
    I realized that Opera cache's pages so it appeared that it was working but I could not go beyond the page that was showing.
    I spoke with upper level tech at Comcast and they said it sounds like TCP/IP is corrupt and there is nothing they can do. As it is, IE can get to the front page of this forum but that is it. It can surf only a few pages. Email programs do not work at all. Most links in browser fail.
    I don't know what else to do, short of a format. I tried repair two times with no positive results.
    Is there a way to repair TCP/IP?

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    i usually uninstall my firewall

if i know for a fact that my internet works on another computer i would click on the start menu and select run

type
    cmd

in the window type
    ipconfig

see if you can see your Connection-specific DNS Suffix
    if it is in there you have a configuration problem

go to internet explorer and select tools/internet options/connection/lan settings and uncheck prxy if it is checked.

You could also go into control panel and select your network connection and uninstall all your network tcip and re-install it from there

kinda worried to bring you to these places as you can stop your access to the internet but you should be there now.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Titanium Member
    Im able to ping in cmd but none of the browsers/email work.

It won't let me Uninstall TCP/IP

Titanium Member
    now i'm able to post this with IE but most links do not work for any website. Still no browser or emal works.

If I hit back and forth and refresh or go a few times, I can edit this post as i'm doing now
    Last edited by lynchknot; September 26th, 2003 at 00:33 AM.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    How can I Re-Install TCP/IP on my Windows XP computer?

When viewing the list of components for a network interface, you may notice that the Uninstall button is disabled when Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) is selected. In Windows XP, the TCP/IP stack is considered a core component of the operating system; therefore, it is not possible to uninstall TCP/IP in Windows XP.

In extreme cases, reinstalling the Internet Protocol stack may be the most appropriate solution. With the NetShell utility, you can now reset the TCP/IP stack back to a pristine state, to the same state as when the operating system was installed.

The NetShell utility (netsh) is a command-line scripting interface for the configuring and monitoring of Windows XP networking. This tool provides an interactive network shell interface to the user.

In Windows XP, a reset command is available in the IP context of the NetShell utility. When this command is executed, it rewrites pertinent registry keys that are used by the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) stack to achieve the same result as the removal and the reinstallation of the protocol.

SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\
    SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DHCP\Parameters\

Command Usage:

netsh int ip reset [ log_file_name]

To successfully execute the command, you must specify a log file name where actions taken by netsh will be recorded. For example, typing either of the examples that are listed in the "Command Samples" section later in this article at a command prompt would reset the TCP/IP stack on a system and record the actions that were taken in the log file, Resetlog.txt. The first sample creates the log file in the current directory, while the second sample demonstrates the use of a path where the log will be created. In either case, where the specified log file already exists, the new log will be appended to the end of the existing file.

Command Samples

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

That above tells you how to reinstall TCP/IP... you cannot uninstall it unfortunately. :P

Have you tried a system restore?

Have you tried :

start, run type IPCONFIG /RENEW

or

start, run, type IPCONFIG /RELEASE

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    TCP/IP repair help:

http://www.neotechcc.org/xp/tcpiprepair.htm

That site shows you how to try to repair the connection.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    i wonder if you have a trojan that is doing a DoS attack lynch?

sorry off topic....

You never know.

hope you get it going.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Titanium Member
    If I have Sygate on, I cannot connect at all. If it is off only some links work. I took a look at sygate's traffic log and it is filled with almost all incoming blocks! What this hell is going on?????

Oh yeah, I tried both methods BB but still have problems. I will run NAV since trojan remover no longer works for me.

Titanium Member
    This IP is showing up alot - I don't want to turn off my firewal too much but I have to - to post

Titanium Member

Comcast will be here in the morning..................