Thread: System Restore in XP

System Restore in XP

Good Morning:

I read the following on the web just now, trying to find out precisely what System Restore saves.

"System Restore monitors most system files with .exe, .vxd, .dll, .com, and .sys extensions. It does not monitor user-created files (for example, files that have .txt, .doc, or .xls extensions), the My Documents folder, Temporary Internet files (including the Internet Explorer History, Cookies, or Favorites files), the Recycle Bin, or the Windows Swap (.swp) file."

Now, this says that System Restore does not monitor user-created files. From the examples given it would not, I gather, monitor the Quicken 99 files I create.

But what exactly does 'monitor' mean? Say I create a restore point today, right now, then install a new program and things go haywire. I go back to the restore point I created before the change. Will the files I created in Quicken still be there intact?

wumply
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    you are correct. from what I gather system restore does not monitor personal files like txt, docs, mp3's, stuff like that. mainly it checks for dlls, exe, ocx, ETC.

I did find this on the net...from Microsoft.

"System Restore does not restore user data or documents, so it will not causes users to lose their files, email, browsing history or favorites." But it does not say about files such as Quicken, so I am reluctant to assume those files would conclusively be saved.

wumply
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    since quicken files that you save are personal it will not do anything to your files.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    You can simply store your quicken files in my documents.

This directory is void of system restore and will not be affected by this process.

be warned users.

If you download lots of sharewear games or files from peer to peer that have a .exe extension, they will be removed from the program directory unless you have saved them in your documents.

i lost a few gigs of cool demo's after doing a restore and they were gone.

I tried to go back to previous restore and my computer failed to boot and they are lost forever!

You have been warned!

egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Egghead. If I get an exe program from one of my sons, say ,which came initially from some www site, and I keep it in C:\Program Files...that should not be deleted if I do a System Restore, correct?

wumply

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    Originally posted by wumply
    Egghead. If I get an exe program from one of my sons, say ,which came initially from some www site, and I keep it in C:\Program Files...that should not be deleted if I do a System Restore, correct?

wumply
    if it is in the program directory and you installed after the restore point it will get deleted

example

monday - new restore point
    tuesday installed office 97.exe into C;\ program files
    and downloaded fungame.exe from kazaa,
    c:\my share folder

also downloaded coolapp.exe into "My Documents" folder

wednesday - computer crashed restored back to monday

office 97 and fungame.exe are no longer inn my computer
    coolapp.exe is still in my documents.
    hope this helps
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Gotcha, Egghead. Good to be aware of this. Forwarded your unfortunate experience on to my sons. Thanks.

wumply