Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A problem with Explorer reseting XP

A problem with Explorer reseting XP

THis problem has been getting worse over the last few months. What happens is the XP seems to do a quick "blink", the screen clears to the background and then re-intializes again. The net result is the loss of most running programs and systray icons. It seems to happen most when using Explorer and I hate My Computer but that seems to work more "stabally".

I have the latest drivers for my video so I don't think that's a problem. Ayone have a clue where to go from here?

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Welcome to Techzonez.
    If it's not your graphics card causing the problem,it may be faulty RAM.
    Try another stick of RAM.Or if you have more than one stick installed remove one and see if that helps.Repeat these steps for the other sticks.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Hello maxinminn
    It could be a ram module related problem, so either try some different ram or give Reverends suggestion a try.
    If its causing your system to reboot everytime on this error, then disable the "Automatically Restart". Which is located in your Control Panel>System>advanced>startup & recovery settings. Choose to untick the "Automatically Restart" box under >system failure.
    R.I.P
    MSN Status: | Please Read The Forum Rules

I'll try that

Originally posted by Reverend
    Welcome to Techzonez.
    If it's not your graphics card causing the problem,it may be faulty RAM.
    Try another stick of RAM.Or if you have more than one stick installed remove one and see if that helps.Repeat these steps for the other sticks.
    I'm using two sticks so I could give that a try. The graphics are onboard the motherboard <I'm not a gammer >

See my next reply for more info.

Max

Originally posted by zErO
    Hello maxinminn
    It could be a ram module related problem, so either try some different ram or give Reverends suggestion a try.
    If its causing your system to reboot everytime on this error, then disable the "Automatically Restart". Which is located in your Control Panel>System>advanced>startup & recovery settings. Choose to untick the "Automatically Restart" box under >system failure.
    The problem is not a "true reboot". What happens, most of the time while using Windows Explorer, is that the clears to just the wallpaper and then rebuilds itself. Windows never actually resets but it can effect running processes such as systray programs. I have one program, a weather station grabbing real-time weather data from outdoor sensors, that will continue to run in the background thru it all, but it disappears from the taskbar and I cant't get it to redisplay.

It's not temp related either. Yesterday was 31C in the room with the computer and the internal case temp was 35C and the processor (K7-800) was at 39C.

I'll tinker with the auto restart and see what happens.

Max

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    sounds like a ram module going bad, a faulty power supply, or your CMOS is dying. Does you time ever become way off? Do you ever get any errors?

THis is a tough problem to work out... I'd try checking all of my hardware first. Make sure everything is working properly..
    Also, do a virus scan just to make sure you havent picked up some wacky virus....

Further, I'd try a system restore to see if that corrects the problem. What programs are running during this "refresh"?
    This could be a program related problem. Perhaps windows is crashing from some faulty program, and is attempting to recover itself...
    Try removing all programs running in the background and run your PC for a while and see if you still get the same results. If so, then it might be time for a format... and reinstall XP.

Let us know how you get on!
    BB

British Stud Muffin TZ Veteran GimieGimieGimie's Avatar
    Originally posted by maxinminn

The problem is not a "true reboot". What happens, most of the time while using Windows Explorer, is that the clears to just the wallpaper and then rebuilds itself. Windows never actually resets but it can effect running processes such as systray programs. I have one program, a weather station grabbing real-time weather data from outdoor sensors, that will continue to run in the background thru it all, but it disappears from the taskbar and I cant't get it to redisplay.

It's not temp related either. Yesterday was 31C in the room with the computer and the internal case temp was 35C and the processor (K7-800) was at 39C.

I'll tinker with the auto restart and see what happens.

Max
    Simply sounds like a explorer.exe crash to me without any warnings in telling you so.

I may be wrong, but i get that all the time while i was with Windows XP, i always just put it down to a software problem, because i ain't got no money to go about fixing my hardware up in anyway, so i live with it

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Definitevily (or whatever the spell is, I don't want to check it out now) it is a explorer.exe problem. Your explorer system is crashing and Xp restart it. Usually it won't give you a warning, and I can really tell you, I am an expert on it. I always make my explorer crash. The problem with me is usually that I over use my PC. I am using usually 210 MB RAM but I only have 128 MB install (I am waiting for $5 256MB DDR chips ). Also it could be a bad instalation of some program or XP itself. Back up all your important data and make system restore. If that doesn't fix, and you recall the problem begining earlier in the use of your PC, just reinstall XP. Actually I used to re-install Win98 a lot because of that. Kazaa had the ability to brake my whole windows instalation. Demos of games and programs can do the same, because they might be in beta (or alpha) stage, so they are unstable. Check how much resources is using your PC with the task manager. You might be using all your RAM, or your CPU is overhauling. When you say a K7-800, you mean A Duron or an Athlon? 800 should be enough for some task, but if you decided to have too many resident app. and on top of that you do a lot of multitasking, both, your RAM and CPU will over work.
    There is also a big influence, which is usually overlook: Your power supply. If your power supply is not giving a healthy electricity to your motherboard, you will likely run into this problem. And believe it or not, this is a very common problem with OEM PCs, where they put cheap power supplys, into the systems. I have a Celeron 566 MHZ and I had a lot of trouble with it. I decided to build a PC and I begun with the case. I got one from Antec, and I used that unilt I got the Mobo and new CPU. During the month I used that Case, I hadn't a single problem. As soon as I put it back it, it will lock when playing some games, and my explorer.exe would crash sometimes (and I had 256 MB RAM). Now I changed the power supply, and I think my Celeron kick ass as much as my Athlon XP.
    How to tell it is a power supply? Difficult. Mostly when you don't have a pattern for the problem, but it is always easier, if you have a good power supply that you can trade in (ask a friend to swap with you). Also check how much wattage are you consuming.!

Talking

The most common cause of explorer.exe crashing, is program applications in the background, could even be something as small as Winamp in some case's.

It's just one of those things you learn to live with, can't really do much about it, if the programs them selves are causing the problems, all you can do is just find out the cause via "trial and error" and replace the faulty programs with something else

My guess here, is that the crash diolog boxes have been completely turned off, probably due to XP-AntiSpy, which turns them off completely by default. And that because there are no longer any warnings of programs crashing, the screen just blinks, explorer.exe restarts and that's it. Where's in a normal case, a crash diolog box would pop-up in between.

I'm just playing about with straws here, but hey, it's worth exploring every possible option
    Last edited by GimieGimieGimie; June 4th, 2002 at 15:40 PM.

Originally posted by Dehcbad25
    Definitevily (or whatever the spell is, I don't want to check it out now) it is a explorer.exe problem. Your explorer system is crashing and Xp restart it. Usually it won't give you a warning, and I can really tell you, I am an expert on it. I always make my explorer crash. The problem with me is usually that I over use my PC. I am using usually 210 MB RAM but I only have 128 MB install (I am waiting for $5 256MB DDR chips ). Also it could be a bad instalation of some program or XP itself. Back up all your important data and make system restore. If that doesn't fix, and you recall the problem begining earlier in the use of your PC, just reinstall XP. Actually I used to re-install Win98 a lot because of that. Kazaa had the ability to brake my whole windows instalation. Demos of games and programs can do the same, because they might be in beta (or alpha) stage, so they are unstable. Check how much resources is using your PC with the task manager. You might be using all your RAM, or your CPU is overhauling. When you say a K7-800, you mean A Duron or an Athlon? 800 should be enough for some task, but if you decided to have too many resident app. and on top of that you do a lot of multitasking, both, your RAM and CPU will over work.
    There is also a big influence, which is usually overlook: Your power supply. If your power supply is not giving a healthy electricity to your motherboard, you will likely run into this problem. And believe it or not, this is a very common problem with OEM PCs, where they put cheap power supplys, into the systems. I have a Celeron 566 MHZ and I had a lot of trouble with it. I decided to build a PC and I begun with the case. I got one from Antec, and I used that unilt I got the Mobo and new CPU. During the month I used that Case, I hadn't a single problem. As soon as I put it back it, it will lock when playing some games, and my explorer.exe would crash sometimes (and I had 256 MB RAM). Now I changed the power supply, and I think my Celeron kick ass as much as my Athlon XP.
    How to tell it is a power supply? Difficult. Mostly when you don't have a pattern for the problem, but it is always easier, if you have a good power supply that you can trade in (ask a friend to swap with you). Also check how much wattage are you consuming.!
    I agree it is explorer.exe, the reason I say this is that I've used only My Computer for the past 45 hours where I would have used Explorer and there have been no problems . I'm running an Athlon 800 with 396Mb of memory. I've got another 256 coming tomorrow. I don't think it's the power supply because it's a good one and I've not seen any other "flakeyness" occuring in the system. I'll try and check the power consumption, that's always a good idea.

Originally posted by GimieGimieGimie
    The most common cause of explorer.exe crashing, is program applications in the background, could even be something as small as Winamp in some case's.

It's just one of those things you learn to live with, can't really do much about it, if the programs them selves are causing the problems but just find out the cause via "trial and error" and replace the programs with something else

My guess here, is that the crash diolog boxes have been completely turned off, probably due to XP-AntiSpy, which turns them off completely by default. And that because there are no longer any warnings of programs crashing, the screen just blinks, explorer.exe restarts and that's it. Where's in a normal case, a crash diolog box would pop-up in between.

I'm just playing about with straws here, but hey, it's worth exploring every possible option
    Ok, how do I turn them back on? The main question here is: I'm pretty sure it's explorer.exe or one of it's components because using My Computer (which I hate ) has produced a crash-free period of 45+ hours. I could dink around for a long time using trial & error. Would I be better off just reinstalling XP? Would this overlay the bad components?

Thanks,
    Max

Hey!! you are right. I forgot Wimamp causes that a lot sometimes. OBI WAN said to Luke S. "Use the Force, Luke, use the force" well, maximinmin "Use the restore maxin, use the restore:
    Got one weekend, and write down all programs you haev install. ake a backup off data you want to save (document, programs seetings, save files from games, files you download, etc) if you have enough space, you can make a partition, and save it there as a backup, or just move that to a folder and later save it to C0-RW, or justr leave it in the folder, but you cannot format the drive in the case you need to.
    After you backup, you can begin to restore the system from a day you remember the problem begun, from there, check all programs unistall, try it out a little (probably you still have the problem)
    Suppose you remember the problem starting around May7, restore to May 8, or 9 or arpund, but after you noticed the problem.
    From there you go one day back restoring, until you find your PC is working fine. Always take note of the programs uninstalled in each restore point. When you PC is working fine, you know that all programs still install are working fine, and from the programs uninstall, one is producing your explorer.exe to crash. Probably is one of the latest, but you won't know for sure, unless you installl it again and try it. Sometimes programs don't crash when you want them to or maybe it won't crash at all, and having all programs back works just fine.
    This can take you LONGGGG hours to do it, but you will know the faulty program.
    If you are not in the mood to do so, just reinstall Windows XP. This is very easy, just insert the CD, adn put the boot sequence to boot from CD first, then follow your on-screen instructions, and m install over your old install. Don't format!!! Just install over the old install!!! And your PC will be exactly as same as it was before you did it, but all Windows file will be refreshed. That might fix the problem completely, and the good part, is that you are ready tto go soon after it is done. You have all programs install, and all files in your hard drive, and even you personal settings as they were. Thsi instalation is one of the best features of XP, and believe me, it really fix some problems that I had
    I hope this helps.
    IF you need help with the instalations, over an old XP instalation, I am sure here we can help you. I did it twice already

You posted while I was typing
    Explorer and my computer use both Explorer.exe. the problem might be in one the the applets Explorer is loading. The difference is just the skin of the program. You can even make the My Computer navigator look like Explorer if you to to Folder options
    I recomend you to reinstall XP because you have a lot of RAM. Just as a detail, not that this produces the crash, but do you know the maximun RAM for your motherboard? If you pass it, it will decrease performance instead of expand it. I guess with 396 MB tyou have 1 128MB and 1 256 MB.
    Some Mobos, don't support more than 380, and others no more than 512 MB Just a suggestion

Originally posted by maxinminn

Ok, how do I turn them back on? The main question here is: I'm pretty sure it's explorer.exe or one of it's components because using My Computer (which I hate ) has produced a crash-free period of 45+ hours. I could dink around for a long time using trial & error. Would I be better off just reinstalling XP? Would this overlay the bad components?

Thanks,
    Max
    Reinstalling XP would be a nice "quick" solution to the problem indeed, but it's abit harsh don't ya think?

I would not recommend a format over something that i concider to be so small and not worthy of the hussle of a format , there's a fair chance, that what ever is causing the trouble this time, will pop up it's ugly head in the next instllation of Windows and then we are back to square one, and alot of time has been wasted for nothing.

I think before we take any drastic action, we should actually look at what's to blame here, and is it really worth all the trouble?

You just said that you have had your computer running 45+ hours straight without a single crash, hmmm, then maybe this problem was just a one off?

If not, and it is starting to get to you, then we should first find out if what i've been saying all this time is at least slightly on the right lines.

Do forgive me if my instructions are alittle off here, i'm not running Windows XP at the moment, and recalling everything from memory

Right click "My Computer" on the desktop to go into "System Properties".

Go to the last tab on the "First" line, and select the "3rd" option down by clicking the diolog box button.

You should see boxes and options which you can select to let you choose how you want Windows to inform you and how to handle crashing programs.

Make sure that an option along these lines is selected:

"Don't send crash information to Microsoft, but do inform me of critical errors"

If a box is already selected that would allow you to be informed of crashes, then i'm abit stomped

But if error handling was turned off, then the next course of action would to be, sit and wait for another crash to occur and see exactly what's going on with your computer.
    Last edited by GimieGimieGimie; June 4th, 2002 at 16:10 PM.

Originally posted by Dehcbad25
    You posted while I was typing
    Explorer and my computer use both Explorer.exe. the problem might be in one the the applets Explorer is loading. The difference is just the skin of the program. You can even make the My Computer navigator look like Explorer if you to to Folder options
    I recomend you to reinstall XP because you have a lot of RAM. Just as a detail, not that this produces the crash, but do you know the maximun RAM for your motherboard? If you pass it, it will decrease performance instead of expand it. I guess with 396 MB tyou have 1 128MB and 1 256 MB.
    Some Mobos, don't support more than 380, and others no more than 512 MB Just a suggestion
    The maximum RAM for this mombo is 768MB, so I'm well under that. I'm seriously thinking of doing the reinstall route.