Thread: Just got XP, what is up with these pop ups?

Angry Just got XP, what is up with these pop ups?

Hey guys,

I'm using XP these days on a spare computer, trying to get into it. I'm not liking it...

What is up with these pop ups? Constantly getting pop ups asking me if I'm sick of pop ups and that I should go to some (or should I say several) web sites and look for information regarding pop up blockers.

How do I get rid of this annoyance? I have no intention of buying any pop up blocker. What is this, entrapment???

Thanks,
    Sharon

It is scarry to get on the net with XP without installing all of the security updates. You may have been bit with a trojan.

My advice to get rid of popups. Install all of the security patches. Use an up to date antivirus software and a trojan remover to make sure that you are clean. Then download Mozilla or Firebird. Total control over pop ups.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Efc gave some good advice... there is a big problem now with people newly upgrading or installing WinXP, since the new installs dont have the RPC (Blaster) security patch. So when u get on the network do go and download the patch from windows update u'll get slammed with the virus! - it only takes a few minutes!! Which from the sounds of it has happened to you.

Depends how new your install is and how much data u have, might be better to format computer, then on a safe computer, download SP1a and also the security patches... install them on your XP comp, now your safe for the moment... connect to windows update and install rest of patches ETC...

If however, u cant reformat, there are various trojan/virus removers from Symantec or other notable antivirus companies, remove the virus and patch XP.

I think with people starting to move from win2k or 98se to XP, we'll see a lot more cases of new installs getting infected... M$ need to release an install CD with the patches loaded.

Hope this helps Sharon.

cheers.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

it sounds like this is messenger spam ...if it is then its easy to fix.

Open the Control Panel, and then double-click Administrative Tools icon and then double-click the Services entry.
    In the list of services listed in the resulting Services dialog box, locate the messenger entry, and double-click it.
    Click the Stop button in the service status section and then in the same dialogue box, change the start-up type to Disable.

hope that helps
    *- I must admit, you brought Religion into my life ... I never believed in Hell till I met you!! -*

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Originally posted by Style
    it sounds like this is messenger spam ...if it is then its easy to fix.
    does the fix disable the use of MSN messenger? or is it just the internal messenging service for XP? I know there is a difference, but dont know if thats the difference

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Hi Sharon,welcome to Techzonez.As mentioned by cash site and efc you have probably got spy trojans or the blaster worm or the like.Try this free pop up stopper I found for you and of course,go to the Windows update page for up to date security.PopUpStopperClickHere

Also if you are infected and it is difficult to connect to the internet then use this link to allow connection and patch windows xp and remove the worm from your computer.SymantecWormFixClick Here

Your Windows XP operating system did not cause your problem and in itself is a good system but when you connect to the net these days you have to have a Firewall,Antivirus,and popup stopper for some peace of mind.

Come back to Techzonez and hopefully we can help you with a better XP experience.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    hey zip dont let sharon's post count fool ya shes an ol' timer here. She just uses us for free tech support. J/K

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Originally posted by Style
    it sounds like this is messenger spam ...

Agreed...Turn off the Messenger Service and most of the pop ups will be gone.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    Sharon you might want to try atomic xp also just to clean up some of that un-needed stuff in XP. and the other guys got you pointed in the right direction with the apps they suggested. I use NAV pro, trojan remover, Adaware, spybot, guardian. a good popup killer that I use to use is meaya (spelling?) great little app.

Hey Guys,

Thanks a million! Yes, it was messenger spam and I am now no longer annoyed by it thanks to your help! I am not at all familiar with any administrative stuff in Windows, this is all new to me.

I need to go back to school

And yes Phishhead, I have no shame when it comes to things that annoy me....after all, I am woman! lol My husband can tell you how many pieces of plastic he's retrieved from the floor and just how many keyboards I've smashed when I can't "figger it out"

Thanks to your help here at techzonez, the amount of plastic and smashed keyboards has been significantly reduced!

Thanks all!
    Sharon

Atomic XP?

Hey Phish,

Got a link for me? I'm all for cleaning up unwanted crap!

And by the way.........is it free?

Thanks,
    Sharon